"off the field" issues blamed for Ramirez's high error

southsider2k5

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 03:20 PM)
It said he had an unexpected death in the family. So give him a break.

Rumors swirled in 2011 that one of Dunn's children was dealing with some extremely severe health issues, yet you persistently rail on him all the same. Perhaps you should look in a mirror.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 10:25 PM)
Rumors swirled in 2011 that one of Dunn's children was dealing with some extremely severe health issues, yet you persistently rail on him all the same. Perhaps you should look in a mirror.

Were the rumors ever turned into facts? This Alexei story mentioned the specific problem.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 04:40 PM)
Were the rumors ever turned into facts? This Alexei story mentioned the specific problem.

Dunn never wanted to talk about it. That's his right considering it's his personal and private life. I think if we hear "personal problems" or "off the field issues," we as fans should probably give the benefit of the doubt.

Dunn's issue was reported on during the 2012 season. His young son (IIRC) developed a condition that was causing him to have frequent seizues, perhaps to the extent that his life was in danger. Dunn hesitated to comment on it much or say it caused his bad season, perhaps because he perceived that as throwing his son under the bus

Well, I should change my opinion of Dunn, then. I have despised him as a player but this shows why he's been so bad. Now we know the reason Dunn has been a trainwreck in a Sox jersey. Best wishes to the Dunn family. Family first, always!

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Aug 15, 2013 -> 02:34 AM)
I've suspected this all year. His physical tools are still there. His head hasn't been in the game.

Unless his family situation is 100 percent solid, he'll never be able to shake this. Quite a problem for Dunn n the White Sox. Baseball should have a Mr. Courageous Award like some sports, such as college sports and reward those who play through pain or adversity.

If any of us struggled at work because of personal problems, we would lose our jobs. These guys get to keep their millions either way. Maybe they should take unpaid leave for a while until they are ready to perform.

I dont really agree with this exactly. Most people have jobs where they come home every night, they aren't working 6 or 7 days a week for 6 months, they aren't on the road for week+ long stretches. With your standard 9 to 5er if you have a death in the family or your wife gives birth you get some serious time off, in baseball you might get a couple days if you're really good and been with a team a long time but most of the time you're still obligated to show up for work. That's tough, and it can wear you out mentally. Not for lack of trying or bad effort, humans can only handle so much no matter what kind of compensation they are seeing in the end.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 09:29 PM)
Well, I should change my opinion of Dunn, then. I have despised him as a player but this shows why he's been so bad. Now we know the reason Dunn has been a trainwreck in a Sox jersey. Best wishes to the Dunn family. Family first, always!

I find it strange that you can compare Dunn with the Sox to a trainwreck, but you would never compare Ozzie with the sox to a trainwreck.