Anybody Found The Last Couple Days Easier to Watch?

Dunt

QUOTE (glangon @ Aug 19, 2013 -> 03:08 AM)
As a relative board new comer but someone who has been watching the Sox for years (albeit from Sunny Scotland via MLBTV). I agree with Greg. I'd like to see us win with the youth, then make a splash for 2 or 3 hitters plus a couple of bullpen arms and I think we will be in contention.

Most of the games lost this year have been by one or two runs which have been down to bad hitting or bad defense. If we tighten up defensively and bring in a few hitters, it could be a more fun season next year.

Do they have Scotch tastings in Scotland like they have wine tastings elsewhere? Can you visit the distilleries?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 11:30 AM)
We should all definitely want the Sox to lose, but not at the expense of development. This season is a sunk cost in terms of winning, but some good can still come of it if the young guys can continue to learn and start connecting the dots. I'd love to get the #2 pick, but if a guy like Garcia or Viciedo goes on a tear and prevents that from happening I'll be even happier. Hopefully the bullpen and poor fundamentals will lose us a lot of games going forward though.

THIS

If we end up winning a bunch of games in September because our young players start taking legitimate strides forward in their development, then we'll take it. But the important thing here is that the WINS aren't what we need right now. We need the kids to have good numbers themselves. They don't need to lead to wins this year, those wins do us no good. So you can watch games and be really invested in the performance of the players but still shrug your shoulders when the team loses anyway.

Just to point out...top 5 picks since the inception of the draft to put up at least 30 career bWAR

#1) Harold Baines, Darryl Strawberry, BJ Surhoff, Ken Griffey Jr, Chipper Jones, Alex Rodriguez, Darin Erstad, Adrian Gonalez, Joe Mauer (there are 4-5 others with 25-30 WAR)

#2) Reggie Jackson, Will Clark, Greg Swindell, Josh Beckett, Justin Verlander (again, several between 25-30)

#3) Robin Yount, Lonnie Smith, Paul Molitor, Matt Williams, Troy Glaus, Evan Longoria

#4) Jon Matlack, Thurman Munson, Darrell Porter, Dave Winfield, Barry Larkin, Kevin Brown, Ryan Zimmerman

#5) Dale Murphy, Dwight Gooden, JD Drew, Mark Teixeira, Ryan Bruan (Buster Posey is at 16.9, but has also won an MVP too)

TOTAL: 32

Now 11-15

#11) NONE (Andrew McCutchen will almost certainly get there)

#12) Kirk Gibson, Nomar Garciaparra, Jered Weaver

#13) Frank Tanana, Manny Ramirez (Gary Nolan, Garry Templeton, Paul Konerko, Aaron Hill, and Chris Sale are here too)

#14) Derrek Lee

#15) Rich Hebner, Jim Rice, Chris Carpenter, Chase Utley

TOTAL: 10

Does this make it clearer to anyone else why Sox fans want a top 5 pick?

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 19, 2013 -> 05:36 PM)
Do they have Scotch tastings in Scotland like they have wine tastings elsewhere? Can you visit the distilleries?

Yes you can.

It's not free though and you don't remember a lot afterwards :)

Just to point out...top 5 picks since the inception of the draft to put up at least 30 career bWAR

#1) Harold Baines, Darryl Strawberry, BJ Surhoff, Ken Griffey Jr, Chipper Jones, Alex Rodriguez, Darin Erstad, Adrian Gonalez, Joe Mauer (there are 4-5 others with 25-30 WAR)

#2) Reggie Jackson, Will Clark, Greg Swindell, Josh Beckett, Justin Verlander (again, several between 25-30)

#3) Robin Yount, Lonnie Smith, Paul Molitor, Matt Williams, Troy Glaus, Evan Longoria

#4) Jon Matlack, Thurman Munson, Darrell Porter, Dave Winfield, Barry Larkin, Kevin Brown, Ryan Zimmerman

#5) Dale Murphy, Dwight Gooden, JD Drew, Mark Teixeira, Ryan Bruan (Buster Posey is at 16.9, but has also won an MVP too)

So basically, there is a fairly decent edge in having the #1 pick, but not nearly as big of a gap from 2-5.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 19, 2013 -> 12:42 PM)
So basically, there is a fairly decent edge in having the #1 pick, but not nearly as big of a gap from 2-5.

No, a 2:1 edge (23 with 30 bWAR still at 2-5) is still incredibly substantial, and that's just counting guys ranging from perennial all-stars to Hall of Famers. If you look beyond that, guys who get drafted in the top 5 are also far, far more likely to have contributions at the MLB level too.

It won't matter, as the Sox are all but assured of a top 5 pick.

No, a 2:1 edge (23 with 30 bWAR still at 2-5) is still incredibly substantial, and that's just counting guys ranging from perennial all-stars to Hall of Famers. If you look beyond that, guys who get drafted in the top 5 are also far, far more likely to have contributions at the MLB level too.

It won't matter, as the Sox are all but assured of a top 5 pick.

I meant that the edge from pick to pick between 2 and 5 is not as great. In other words, getting a top 5 pick is important, but winning a couple more games and getting the 5th pick instead of the 3rd isn't that big of a deal.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 19, 2013 -> 01:36 PM)
I meant that the edge from pick to pick between 2 and 5 is not as great. In other words, getting a top 5 pick is important, but winning a couple more games and getting the 5th pick instead of the 3rd isn't that big of a deal.

Sorry, misread it. Yeah, but I don't think that should really be that surprising.