LF: Viciedo, Tekotte

CF: De Aza

RF: Garcia

DH: Konerko

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Aug 16, 2013 -> 05:11 PM)
Rotation:

1. Sale

2. Quintana

3. Santiago

4. Danks

5. Rienzo

Call-ups:

1. Johnson

2. Leesman

Bulpen:

1. Axelrod

2. Webb

3. Petricka

4. Castro

5. Jones

6. Reed

7. Rodriguez

Depth:

C: Phegley, Flowers

1B: Dunn

2B: Beckham, Garcia

SS: Ramirez, Semien

3B: Gillaspie, Keppinger

LF: Viciedo, Tekotte

CF: De Aza

RF: Garcia

DH: Konerko

This looks like what we currently have.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Aug 16, 2013 -> 06:23 PM)
Why would they move Alexei to 2nd? He's a better SS than Semien and has a much stronger arm than Beckham.

He's another year older, and he makes a lot of throws into the dirt that Paulie has to dig out.

Will Dunn be able to do that next year?

Also Alexi played 2nd in '08 when we last won the division.

Maybe we recapture the magic????

QUOTE (Tannerfan @ Aug 16, 2013 -> 06:30 PM)
He's another year older, and he makes a lot of throws into the dirt that Paulie has to dig out.

Will Dunn be able to do that next year?

Also Alexi played 2nd in '08 when we last won the division.

Maybe we recapture the magic????

You realize Dunn has played a lot more games at first than Konerko this year, right?

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Aug 17, 2013 -> 11:22 AM)
Not really, but okay. Dunn's bat has more than made up for the small drop off in defense.

He's actually on the verge of putting up a better season with the bat than 2012 and a worse season overall in terms of WAR.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 17, 2013 -> 11:43 AM)
Danks will be shopped, I'm sure. There's no way that they keep 4 of 5 starters as lefties next year. Especially if they want to try Johnson in the rotation.

I agree with the lefties idea but do you really think the Sox will go into the season with Rienzo and Johnson both in the rotation?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2013 -> 11:34 AM)
He's actually on the verge of putting up a better season with the bat than 2012 and a worse season overall in terms of WAR.

Defensive WAR from a 1st baseman? Color me unimpressed. First, how do they calculate this nonsense? Second, it's not above this mythical "replacement player." It's above the corpse of Paul Konerko.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Aug 17, 2013 -> 12:54 PM)
Defensive WAR from a 1st baseman? Color me unimpressed. First, how do they calculate this nonsense? Second, it's not above this mythical "replacement player." It's above the corpse of Paul Konerko.

Neither Konerko or Dunn have been very good, but fangraphs does think Dunn has been somewhat worse. Either way...either of them playing 1b full time is now a very bad thing for the White Sox and should not happen again after this year.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 17, 2013 -> 05:43 PM)
Danks will be shopped, I'm sure. There's no way that they keep 4 of 5 starters as lefties next year. Especially if they want to try Johnson in the rotation.

Hilarious. Just another guy an MLB team wants/needs to get rid of after signing him to a ridiculous contract. Keep signing guys to lucrative long-term deals, general managers and owners. Really makes lot of sense. Almost immediately after signing guys, teams want to rid themselves of these players. Insanity.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 17, 2013 -> 01:02 PM)
Hilarious. Just another guy an MLB team wants/needs to get rid of after signing him to a ridiculous contract. Keep signing guys to lucrative long-term deals, general managers and owners. Really makes lot of sense. Almost immediately after signing guys, teams want to rid themselves of these players. Insanity.

How on Earth did you know he'd hurt his shoulder and why weren't you screaming about it at the time?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 17, 2013 -> 12:02 PM)

Could have something to do with his arm falling off immediately after said contract.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 17, 2013 -> 11:49 AM)
I agree with the lefties idea but do you really think the Sox will go into the season with Rienzo and Johnson both in the rotation?

I think they would if they get the right deal for Q or Hector. Trading Danks is going to be pretty hard to do and it probably makes more sense to hold into him. That being said, I'd say it's pretty likely we go into next season with the 4 lefties as I don't think we'll get enough value back for Q or Hector that makes them worth trading and I'm pretty sure Danks isn't going anywhere.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 17, 2013 -> 12:06 PM)
I think they would if they get the right deal for Q or Hector. Trading Danks is going to be pretty hard to do and it probably makes more sense to hold into him. Thatd being said, I'd say it's pretty likely we go into next season with the 4 lefties as I don't think we'll get enough value back for Q or Hector that makes them worth trading and I'm pretty sure Danks isn't going anywhere.

Agree. Neither of them are sexy enough to get the right return despite their results.

@Balta. I agree, but Dunn is obviously the lesser of 2 evils. Since we're going to suck again next year, play Dunn at first. He hits much better playing in the field and might be able to significantly raise his deadline value if he can carry his hitting into next year.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 17, 2013 -> 11:43 AM)

Why is there no second thought if a team has an all right handed rotation, yet 4 or more lefties im a rotation is taboo? As far as I am concerned the Sox should worry about quality, not from which side they throw.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 17, 2013 -> 12:16 PM)
Why is there no second thought if a team has an all right handed rotation, yet 4 or more lefties im a rotation is taboo? As far as I am concerned the Sox should worry about quality, not from which side they throw.

I would have a problem if all 4 leftys looked like each other. Part of the reason leftys are so hard to hit is that they're more rare. If you have three leftys starting a 3 game series, by the time the 3rd one starts, hitters are more dialed into them.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 17, 2013 -> 11:32 AM)
Dunn apology makes me want to barf. It's seriously like a disease that takes hold of a man's mind and forces him to forego rationality because a ball goes far once in a while.

He's been much, much more than just that for awhile now though. For nearly 3 months now he has been close to .300/.415/.534....If he can put those numbers up with the addition of 1 or 2 more middle of the lineup bats (I'm praying for Abreu and McCann) then that lineup will look scary next year.

If I were the GM I'd go hard after McCann and one of the few first basemen, with Abreu being the most intriguing of the bunch. They have the money to get both if they can convince them to come here.

I'd then like to see Q or Santiago traded for a 3rd basemen, preferably of the left handed variety. Chase Headley has been bad this year but he's a guy that I'd look at. If he returns to his 2012 numbers look out. Some posters on here probably wouldn't wanna trade Q or Santiago straight up for Chase so I might catch some heat for it but oh well.

I'd love to see...

De Aza CF/LF (LF if the Sox believe Garcia can hold it down in CF)

Beckham 2B

Dunn 1B/DH (If the sox truly believe he's better off at 1B then go for it)

Abreu 1B/DH

McCann C

Garcia CF/RF

Headley 3B

Viciedo RF/LF (if it's De Aza in left and Garcia in CF then move Tank to RF)

Ramirez SS

Sale

Q/Santiago

Danks

EJ

Reinzo

The back end of that rotation is a wild card. If they preform well there's no reason why that team shouldn't compete.

Reed

Jones

LH Setup FA

Webb

Veal

Petricka

Santos Rodriguez? Purcey? someone else???

That's my dream scenario.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Aug 17, 2013 -> 01:21 PM)
I would have a problem if all 4 leftys looked like each other. Part of the reason leftys are so hard to hit is that they're more rare. If you have three leftys starting a 3 game series, by the time the 3rd one starts, hitters are more dialed into them.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem with the 4 lefty rotation since they aren't the same kind of guy, but I somewhat doubt that the White Sox organization is bold enough to do that.

That said, there are a couple other concerns as well. The Sox should also take into account what they can get for these guys and whether they are truly ready to put one of Rienzo and Johnson in AAA or in the bullpen next year (which I would absolutely hat - edit - I mean having them in the pen).

I don't know who the top 1-2 3b prospects in baseball these days are, but if the Sox could get someone like that and a pitcher for Gillaspie and Santiago, I could very well be interested.