GMing for 2014 Rebuild

ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 04:24 PM)
Logan Morrison is one of the most average replaceable players in baseball.

Considering he hasn't had a season where he played more than 123 games and will play fewer than 100 in both 2012 and 2013, he must be, because the Fish have had to replace him a lot.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 01:32 PM)
One thing to remind everyone about Santiago is he only had 27 minor league starts. The kid's control could easily improve with more experience as a starter, which is scary given how good his stuff is and how well he's pitched at the major league level so far despite being pretty wild. Give him some more time with Cooper and we may have something special.

I would want a king's ransom for him and that's not Logan Morrison.

I agree.

We have several good young pitchers on this team, although Robin Ventura insists on piling up the pitches on them to win a big 60 this season.

The Sox have the salary room to fix this team pretty quickly.

But one thing we must insist upon is good defense up the middle. If we have to live with a few bad bats for a year or so, so be it.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 08:14 PM)
What do you guys think about trading Danks and taking a flyer on Josh Johnson for a 1 year to see if we could turn him around?

What are we getting if we trade Danks? I'm not trading him if it requires picking up a substantial amount of money.

If we trade one of the lefties, that leaves us set with Sale, 2 lefties, Rienzo, and (Erik) Johnson. That's a promising rotation but it definitely is young, inexperienced. Adding in someone like (the other) Johnson to be a bullpen guy or 6th starter would be a necessary step to give some security with that rotation.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 05:27 PM)
What are we getting if we trade Danks? I'm not trading him if it requires picking up a substantial amount of money.

If we trade one of the lefties, that leaves us set with Sale, 2 lefties, Rienzo, and (Erik) Johnson. That's a promising rotation but it definitely is young, inexperienced. Adding in someone like (the other) Johnson to be a bullpen guy or 6th starter would be a necessary step to give some security with that rotation.

I'm not speculating on a Danks return. Just throwing Josh Johnson's name out there.

BTW: How the heck did you amass 90k posts since 05.

Do you post as much as you breath or something? :)

QUOTE (hi8is @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 08:49 PM)
I'm not speculating on a Danks return. Just throwing Josh Johnson's name out there.

BTW: How the heck did you amass 90k posts since 05.

Do you post as much as you breath or something? :)

(Cough). Here's a chance to reply for your 5000th.

Throwing ideas out there, would it seem like a possible scenario where instead of trading one of Santiago or Quintana for a young bat (an option that definitely seems like a possible situation this offseason), we could see Danks traded for a bat who is being overpaid? Two of the names that I can think of have already been thrown around in Ethier and Hamilton. I would definitely prefer to get a young, cost controlled bat on this team for the future, but I think if a situation occurs where you can trade Danks and add a bat who might not be that good anymore and overpriced (but still be an upgrade offensively for this team), you do it. Even if you have to eat more money in such a deal, Danks is such a huge question mark and I still don't think he will ever be the same pitcher he once was.

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 10:47 PM)
Throwing ideas out there, would it seem like a possible scenario where instead of trading one of Santiago or Quintana for a young bat (an option that definitely seems like a possible situation this offseason), we could see Danks traded for a bat who is being overpaid? Two of the names that I can think of have already been thrown around in Ethier and Hamilton. I would definitely prefer to get a young, cost controlled bat on this team for the future, but I think if a situation occurs where you can trade Danks and add a bat who might not be that good anymore and overpriced (but still be an upgrade offensively for this team), you do it. Even if you have to eat more money in such a deal, Danks is such a huge question mark and I still don't think he will ever be the same pitcher he once was.

A bad deal for bad deal type of trade is a possibility with all of the money we have freed up this year. Ideally we need a corner IF though. I wonder if the Yankees would be interested in dealing their 3B? What is his status?

QUOTE (Paulstar @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 10:47 PM)

Ethier & Hamilton in their mid to late 30s are huge question marks as well.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 19, 2013 -> 10:23 AM)
What are your guys thoughts on "buying low" on Headley? I'm not sure if it would cost Q or Santiago but if it did would you do that? If he returns to his 2012 numbers that would go a long way towards contending.

Would be great, but I don't think they'd sell low.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 19, 2013 -> 11:23 AM)
What are your guys thoughts on "buying low" on Headley? I'm not sure if it would cost Q or Santiago but if it did would you do that? If he returns to his 2012 numbers that would go a long way towards contending.

No I wouldn't give up either of those pitchers for him.

Keep in mind...he's a free agent after 2014. If you trade for him in the offseason, you get to choose between extending him and having him put up Gillaspie like numbers or not extending him and then having him hit 30 HR again.

I have zero issue with the concept of buying low on him, but Q and Santiago should be treated as some of the most valuable trade chips in all of baseball. Young, cost controlled, left handed starting pitching half a decade from free agency who have already established a record of MLB Success. You don't give up that for a "buy low" guy, you give that up for "a couple of the most talented guys in baseball".

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 19, 2013 -> 09:05 AM)
Would be great, but I don't think they'd sell low.

Would be terrible.There's nothing about Headley to suggest San Diego won't wait til the trade dealine to hope he puts up decent numbers in the 1st half next year before they move him. Make no sense for the Sox future plans to acquire a guy headed into free agency. The only way that works is if the Sox trade prospects for him and then sign him right away. Chances are high he chooses free agency.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 21, 2013 -> 11:08 AM)
Would be terrible.There's nothing about Headley to suggest San Diego won't wait til the trade dealine to hope he puts up decent numbers in the 1st half next year before they move him. Make no sense for the Sox future plans to acquire a guy headed into free agency. The only way that works is if the Sox trade prospects for him and then sign him right away. Chances are high he chooses free agency.

I don't think the Sox would follow through with a trade like that unless they were about 100% sure they'd be able to sign him to an extension.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 21, 2013 -> 09:13 AM)
I don't think the Sox would follow through with a trade like that unless they were about 100% sure they'd be able to sign him to an extension.

Exactly my point. Just not sure if there could be any negotiations while he's still with SD in order to be 100% sure.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 21, 2013 -> 11:18 AM)
Exactly my point. Just not sure if there could be any negotiations while he's still with SD in order to be 100% sure.

You talk to his agent, see what he's thinking, what he's asking for, and make an assessment from there. He's been good enough in the past that a 48 or 72 hour negotiating window is possible, but I think you can come to a conclusion based on the information you have.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 21, 2013 -> 12:31 PM)
You talk to his agent, see what he's thinking, what he's asking for, and make an assessment from there. He's been good enough in the past that a 48 or 72 hour negotiating window is possible, but I think you can come to a conclusion based on the information you have.

Of course, since he's also a 29 year old clearly having a very down season compared to the previous year, you could also offer him that extension and wind up with a worse deal than the ones you have for previous 3b, such as Keppinger and Teahen.

Since we're talking about third basemen, if, at the beginning of the season, you had told me that Morel would play the entire year injury-free and hit only .260ish with minimal power numbers at Charlotte, I would have bet the house against it. What happened? More importantly, does he figure into Sox plans for 2014? He might be released, since he is on the 40 man. Or is his back still a problem?

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 12:43 AM)
Since we're talking about third basemen, if, at the beginning of the season, you had told me that Morel would play the entire year injury-free and hit only .260ish with minimal power numbers at Charlotte, I would have bet the house against it. What happened? More importantly, does he figure into Sox plans for 2014? He might be released, since he is on the 40 man. Or is his back still a problem?

A bad baseball player being a bad baseball player in surprising? And no he doesn't fit into any plans ever. Him getting called up this was the lowest point in a season of low points.

I would try and target Sandoval from SF to play 3B. Maybe swing a trade centered around De Aza. Next dip into free agency and sign Ellersby and the Abreu kid.

OF: Viciedo, Ellersby, Garcia

IF: Sandoval, Alexei, Beckham, Abreu

DH: Dunn

C: Phegley/Flowers

Bench: Keppinger, Danks(other minor leaguer), Sanchez/Semien(other minor leaguer)

pictching staff would be pretty similar to the current staff.