GMing for 2014 Rebuild

ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 17, 2013 -> 12:33 PM)
Personally I wouldn't have a problem with the 4 lefty rotation since they aren't the same kind of guy, but I somewhat doubt that the White Sox organization is bold enough to do that.

That said, there are a couple other concerns as well. The Sox should also take into account what they can get for these guys and whether they are truly ready to put one of Rienzo and Johnson in AAA or in the bullpen next year (which I would absolutely hat - edit - I mean having them in the pen).

I don't know who the top 1-2 3b prospects in baseball these days are, but if the Sox could get someone like that and a pitcher for Gillaspie and Santiago, I could very well be interested.

A very intriguing 3B prospect is Corey Seager from the Dodgers, he was the 18th overall pick in the 2012 draft out of HS. They have him playing SS now, but he is 6'4 215lbs so a move to the corner is in his future. He's batting .293 with 14HR and 63RBI this year, and he has struck out 69 times and walked 42.

The White Sox could get him in a deal since he is blocked by Hanley Ramirez and due to the fact that the Dodgers are in win now mode and are willing to part with their top prospects.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 17, 2013 -> 12:16 PM)
Why is there no second thought if a team has an all right handed rotation, yet 4 or more lefties im a rotation is taboo? As far as I am concerned the Sox should worry about quality, not from which side they throw.

There are more right-handed hitters and more of the best hitters are right handed.

No harm in shopping him. His only problem this year has been giving up homers. A bigger home park might minimize that. The Sox have other needs.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 17, 2013 -> 10:31 PM)
There are more right-handed hitters and more of the best hitters are right handed.

No harm in shopping him. His only problem this year has been giving up homers. A bigger home park might minimize that. The Sox have other needs.

I agree. It's not that any of us care about the handedness, the debate is about what the FO thinks.

Maybe the Giants want another lefty signed for a while?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 17, 2013 -> 12:16 PM)
Why is there no second thought if a team has an all right handed rotation, yet 4 or more lefties im a rotation is taboo? As far as I am concerned the Sox should worry about quality, not from which side they throw.

I agree. Any lefty who can't get righties out is already in your bullpen anyway. Donnie Veal, will you please stand up.

C Phegley

1B Abreau

2B Beckham

SS Semien

3B Keppinger/Gillaspie

LF Logan Morrison

CF De Aza

RF Garcia

SP Sale

SP Quintana

SP Santiago or Johnson

SP Danks

SP Rienzo

Deal Santiago or Johnson for Morrison, when Dunn goes after 2014 shift Abreau or Morrison to DH.

De Aza

Beckham

Morrison

Abreau

Dunn

Garcia

Keppinger/Gillaspie

Semien

Phegley

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 11:18 AM)
Marty, that would be a horrendous overpay for LoMo. His price would be more like Dayan, which I'm sure you would be all for.

If you can get him for less then by all means yu do it. What did you think of the return for Alex Rios?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 11:14 AM)
C Phegley

1B Abreau

2B Beckham

SS Semien

3B Keppinger/Gillaspie

LF Logan Morrison

CF De Aza

RF Garcia

SP Sale

SP Quintana

SP Santiago or Johnson

SP Danks

SP Rienzo

Deal Santiago or Johnson for Morrison, when Dunn goes after 2014 shift Abreau or Morrison to DH.

De Aza

Beckham

Morrison

Abreau

Dunn

Garcia

Keppinger/Gillaspie

Semien

Phegley

Santiago or Johnson for Morrison would be an absolutley horrific move. We're talking about a guy who is arb-eligible next year and has basically shown as much as Viciedo at the major league level. On top of that, he's an infamous "LF" which you've personally claimed you don't waste time developing, since they are so easy to come by. Trading our best pitching prospect or a major league starter with top of the rotation potential to get said player makes this the strangest and most contradictory suggestion you have ever made on this board.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 11:22 AM)
If you can get him for less then by all means yu do it. What did you think of the return for Alex Rios?

The Rios return is the return they should expect for Lo Mo. Not a very good young starting pitcher.

Edited by GreenSox

Johnson is one of the best SP prospects in baseball at this point so they won't trade him except in a package for a big bat.

Santiago I could see moved for LoMo plus MiLB pieces. His walks sap his value, although he has been better as a starter.

The main question is why the Marlins would be buying when they are as bad, if not worse, than the Sox?

First off, I would not trade for Logan Morrison. This is what I would do if I were Hahn.

Sign both Morales and McCann to 2-3 year deals. Next would be finding left handed relief help. JP Howell and Pedro Feliciano come to mind to try and help this bullpen. I would pick up Lindstrom's option to just to give a little depth to the bullpen.

As far as the starting rotation goes, I think if Erik Johnson isn't ready, sign one of Josh Johnson, Edinson Volquez or Tim Lincecum. But if Johnson is then push Rienzo to the bullpen to take Axelrod's spot.

As far as trades, this is how I would go at it.

I could definitely see the Angels being interested in Santiago and/or Quintana. I would rather keep both but for the sake of making the team better, I would trade Santiago to the Angels for CJ Cron, Alex Yarbough and Mike Morin.

I then would still try and trade Alexei so I would trade him to the Cardinals for Pete Kozma, Charlie Tilson, and Tim Cooney.

Line up would be

CF De Aza

2B Beckham

C McCann

DH Morales

1B Dunn

RF Garcia

LF Viciedo

3B Gillaspie

SS Kozma

Bench

C Phegley

UTIL Garcia

OF Danks

Free Agent

Rotation

Sale

Quintana

Danks

Erik Johnson

Josh Johnson/Edinson Volquez/Tim Lincecum

Bullpen

Rienzo

Lindstrom

Howell

Veal

Petricka

Jones

Reed

Thoughts?

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 11:40 AM)
Santiago or Johnson for Morrison would be an absolutley horrific move. We're talking about a guy who is arb-eligible next year and has basically shown as much as Viciedo at the major league level. On top of that, he's an infamous "LF" which you've personally claimed you don't waste time developing, since they are so easy to come by. Trading our best pitching prospect or a major league starter with top of the rotation potential to get said player makes this the strangest and most contradictory suggestion you have ever made on this board.

Morrison has the attributes needed for a prottype #3 hitter. 119 OPS+. Who are other young hitters who can be targeted?

First off, I would not trade for Logan Morrison. This is what I would do if I were Hahn.

Sign both Morales and McCann to 2-3 year deals. Next would be finding left handed relief help. JP Howell and Pedro Feliciano come to mind to try and help this bullpen. I would pick up Lindstrom's option to just to give a little depth to the bullpen.

As far as the starting rotation goes, I think if Erik Johnson isn't ready, sign one of Josh Johnson, Edinson Volquez or Tim Lincecum. But if Johnson is then push Rienzo to the bullpen to take Axelrod's spot.

I could definitely see the Angels being interested in Santiago and/or Quintana. I would rather keep both but for the sake of making the team better, I would trade Santiago to the Angels for CJ Cron, Alex Yarbough and Mike Morin.

I then would still try and trade Alexei so I would trade him to the Cardinals for Pete Kozma, Charlie Tilson, and Tim Cooney.

Line up would be

CF De Aza

2B Beckham

C McCann

DH Morales

1B Dunn

RF Garcia

LF Viciedo

3B Gillaspie

SS Kozma

Bench

C Phegley

UTIL Garcia

OF Danks

Free Agent

Rotation

Sale

Quintana

Danks

Erik Johnson

Bullpen

Rienzo

Lindstrom

Howell

Veal

Petricka

Jones

Reed

Thoughts?

QUOTE (daggins @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 11:55 AM)
Johnson is one of the best SP prospects in baseball at this point so they won't trade him except in a package for a big bat.

Santiago I could see moved for LoMo plus MiLB pieces. His walks sap his value, although he has been better as a starter.

The main question is why the Marlins would be buying when they are as bad, if not worse, than the Sox?

Maybe the Marlins want to get (even) younger.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 12:36 PM)
Morrison has the attributes needed for a prottype #3 hitter. 119 OPS+. Who are other young hitters who can be targeted?

Seriously? He walks a little, has declining power and is on the verge of being fat. Everything about him screams roids. He's also ugly and has a stupid haircut. He is left handed though.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 12:39 PM)

Line up would be

CF De Aza

2B Beckham

C McCann

DH Morales

1B Dunn

RF Garcia

LF Viciedo

3B Gillaspie

SS Kozma

Bench

C Phegley

UTIL Garcia

OF Danks

Free Agent

Rotation

Sale

Quintana

Danks

Erik Johnson

Bullpen

Rienzo

Lindstrom

Howell

Veal

Petricka

Jones

Reed

Thoughts?

Waste of money, window is too short with McCann and Morales.