Would you rather...

southsider2k5

How would you rather see 2013 finish?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. '13 finish

• I would rather see the Sox go into a complete collapse and get a top draft pick
    • I would rather see some of the young guys finish strong and get a worse draft pick

How would you rather see the White Sox finish 2013?

A, with a complete collapse, losing something like 100 games, and not getting any real progress out of the young guys.

OR

B, the young guys play well giving hope for 2014 (guys like Gillaspie, JorDanks, Viciedo, Phegley, Santiago, etc) but finish with around say the 7th or 8th pick.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 07:02 PM)
There have been plenty of games of late where the young guys played well and they still managed to lose. Anything outside of a top 3 pick would be a huge disappointment. This team needs more talent, plain and simple.

Guys playing up to their potential would be even better than waiting 3-5 years for someone to get here.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 19, 2013 -> 12:08 AM)
Guys playing up to their potential would be even better than waiting 3-5 years for someone to get here.

But the ceiling for a lot of the guys currently on the Sox is pretty low. And in today's baseball, most high draft picks make the majors a lot quicker than most on here seem to suggest. Someone like Rodon won't spend more than a full year in the minors.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 07:11 PM)
But the ceiling for a lot of the guys currently on the Sox is pretty low. And in today's baseball, most high draft picks make the majors a lot quicker than most on here seem to suggest. Someone like Rodon won't spend more than a full year in the minors.

A guy like Rodon doesn't solve any of our biggest problems. We lose games 2-1 and 3-2 just fine.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 08:11 PM)

After the Garcia deal, I don't think I agree with this any more. The only guy with a really low ceiling is Gillaspie, but he's tolerable for now. Everyone else has a ceiling of a solid/above average player with several guys who could turn into all stars if people can get through to them.

The one position where we don't even have that though is 1b. We've got jack squat there for years now unless we sign someone.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 19, 2013 -> 12:25 AM)
After the Garcia deal, I don't think I agree with this any more. The only guy with a really low ceiling is Gillaspie, but he's tolerable for now. Everyone else has a ceiling of a solid/above average player with several guys who could turn into all stars if people can get through to them.

The one position where we don't even have that though is 1b. We've got jack squat there for years now unless we sign someone.

Phegley has a pretty low ceiling as well, IMO (and the initial question included JorDanks in it, who profiles as nothing better than a 4th OF). Now, if they go and get someone like Abreu, that solves a lot of issues if he ends up being a good hitter. The thing is, I don't see why everyone just doesn't root for games where the young players perform well, and then organizational fillers like Axelrod or Troncoso blow the game.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 08:28 PM)
Phegley has a pretty low ceiling as well, IMO. Now, if they go and get someone like Abreu, that solves a lot of issues if he ends up being a good hitter. The thing is, I don't see why everyone just doesn't root for games where the young players perform well, and then organizational fillers like Axelrod or Troncoso blow the game.

If Phegley has that low of a ceiling then I still don't know how he was able to destroy charlotte and I don't know why everyone was so desperate to call him up as the next hero.

But yeah, Abreu is just too good of a fit for this roster.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 19, 2013 -> 12:28 AM)
If Phegley has that low of a ceiling then I still don't know how he was able to destroy charlotte and I don't know why everyone was so desperate to call him up as the next hero.

Because no one wanted to watch Tyler Flowers play 5 games a week anymore :)

And speaking of Abreu, I saw where the Pirates have been rumored to be interested in him (mlbtraderumors). If the White Sox don't get him, I hope it's Pittsburgh that gets him.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 07:28 PM)

But yeah, Abreu is just too good of a fit for this roster.

Most teams have some pretty crappy regulars. It's just the reality of the post-steroid era. Abreu makes so much sense. And then I say we need 1 more high-impact bat. Then we can afford to let some young guys develop: Beckham, Garcia, Tank, Phegs. If any of those guys figure out their potential we become an instant, young powerhouse. We can become the envy of MLB in one offseason, potentially.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 07:24 PM)
The more talent they add, the easier it is to survive trading someone like Quintana for a corner infielder.

In what, two or three years? We won't even draft the guy through next June. Odds are he takes at least until 2015 to get here, even if he flies through the system.

Both.

Realistically they wont get the top pick. But even the way things are the Sox are like, 4 games behind the Cubs for the 4th pick.

They can keep playing mostly crappy and with some growth to the youngins and retain the 3rd pick.

Worst that happens is they pick what, 5th or so? There isn't much difference between the two, esp with this draft being so loaded with pitching.

I'm really hoping viciedo can realize that he does have to swing for the fences everytime and that with his strength the ball will fly of the bat, I see viciedo putting up a .275-.280 30-100 if he realizes this, I do think he is a DH. I'm seeing the sox going towards more speed and defense in this retooling. Enough with converting players. I wouldn't touch the pitching staff, let Santiago, Quintana and Rienzo take there hits and bumps now, it will only make them stronger

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 18, 2013 -> 05:28 PM)
Phegley has a pretty low ceiling as well, IMO (and the initial question included JorDanks in it, who profiles as nothing better than a 4th OF). Now, if they go and get someone like Abreu, that solves a lot of issues if he ends up being a good hitter. The thing is, I don't see why everyone just doesn't root for games where the young players perform well, and then organizational fillers like Axelrod or Troncoso blow the game.

That what I root for but in reality that can't happen every game. If say Viciedo and Garcia get hot together and Dunn ,Alexei, Beckham, and DeAza just keep doing what they have been doin the offense will win some games like it has the last 2 weeks when we get the pitching we're used to. We want Dunn to keep hitting because it makes him more movable or more valuable to use next year. It's not like we're overflowing with LH hitters. Same for Alexei , now he's showing more power, we want that to continue. Same for Beckham and DeAza ,keep it up ,finish strong. Gillaspie same thing ,I want to see him start getting more hits. He has such a good approach it's hard to root againt him. That doesn't leave too many guys where I don't care if they finish bad left in the lineup.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I've been all about "tanking" but the more they win the more my mind changes....At this point I just wanna see them finish better than Cubs. I've got a lot of Cub fan friends and right now they can brag that they got the shinier turd. This is new to me and I don't like it.

Oh and I want whoever the Cubs draft ahead of us to be a bust....just cuz.

At this point the draft looks very pitching heavy at the top so even at 5 or 6 they could be looking at a good hitter, and that is what I'd like them to take.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (MAX @ Aug 19, 2013 -> 12:04 AM)
7th or 8th pick? Jesus. I want something in the middle to happen. Young guys play strong but we get the 3rd or 4th pick.

No one has said 7 or 8...I think 5 or 6 is a possibility if they continue to play like that have been in August (.500 so far for the month). I don't think there's a chance they finish behind Houston or Miami. I think Milwaukee w/o Braun has a good chance at a worse record. I'm really hoping the finish ahead of the Cubs, just cuz. I also wouldn't be surprised to see them finish ahead of the Twins.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 19, 2013 -> 12:25 AM)
No one has said 7 or 8...I think 5 or 6 is a possibility if they continue to play like that have been in August (.500 so far for the month). I don't think there's a chance they finish behind Houston or Miami. I think Milwaukee w/o Braun has a good chance at a worse record. I'm really hoping the finish ahead of the Cubs, just cuz. I also wouldn't be surprised to see them finish ahead of the Twins.

The OP does.