Teams abandoning shift against Dunn

southsider2k5

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 03:20 PM)
BECAUSE ONLY 8 PEOPLE IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME HAVE HIT THAT MANY HOMERUNS WHY IS THAT SO HARD FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND?!?!?!

Dude. Greg's point is that it's unprecedented how a guy who might reach 600 home runs can't even be given away. 15 million dollars for 40 hrs and 100 RBIs. Bad ass "production" as many claim yet 29 other teams say hell no.

How is that not unprecedented? Examples please. All bashing aside.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pierre doesnt have the distinction of being one of the elite in any category. This is all contingent on Dunn hitting 600 homeruns of course, which means he will have to play pretty well for the rest of his career.

What's the all-time record for outs? Pierre has to be close.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 03:29 PM)
Dude. Greg's point is that it's unprecedented how a guy who might reach 600 home runs can't even be given away. 15 million dollars for 40 hrs and 100 RBIs. Bad ass "production" as many claim yet 29 other teams say hell no.

Dude, gregs point is always "this guy makes blah blah money he is a bum i dont like him he isnt Konerko because I love him why didnt anyone trade for him?"

you cant automatically assume anyone is going to take on his contract. Just because he has a chance to hit 600 homeruns doesnt mean that teams should line up and take on his contract.

IF he hits 600 homeruns, he will most likely be considered very heavily for the hall of fame. That doesnt mean I think he will hit that many, because a lot of things have to fall in place in order for him to do that. He has to stay healthy, he has to stay productive, neither of those are guaranteed.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 04:17 PM)
I believe only 8 have hit 600. What a nonsequitir, however, re. Dunn. Right now, nobody would even claim him on waivers because of fear the White Sox would just let him go. It just confounds me. We have a guy basically no team wants who could make the Hall of Fame. It's unprecedented.

Albert Pujols could easily get through waivers unclaimed and probably already has. Clearly he's not a hall of famer by any stretch of the imagination. What a bum.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 09:20 PM)
BECAUSE ONLY 8 PEOPLE IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME HAVE HIT THAT MANY HOMERUNS WHY IS THAT SO HARD FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND?!?!?!

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 09:29 PM)

Some people get greg, some don't. Jerksticks gets exactly what I was trying to say in my post. No more. No less. I truly thought the point I made was interesting. Frankly I think some people think I am a very dumb, stupid person. I can assure you I'm not a dumb rube.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 03:27 PM)
Pierre doesnt have the distinction of being one of the elite in any category. This is all contingent on Dunn hitting 600 homeruns of course, which means he will have to play pretty well for the rest of his career.

But he almost has 3000 hits!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 03:00 PM)
It's funny how in the Pro Football Hall of Fame you pretty much can't get in unless you win and win big. It's totally different in baseball. But in my opinion, Baseball's Hall simply cannot ever consider Dunn unless he wins something. You are talking about a guy no other team will even acquire at his current salary! Nobody in baseball wants him, folks, at his current salary. And we're talking HALL OF FAME?

Just in the last 5 seasons, these guys were all inducted in to the Pro Football Hall of Fame: Chris Doleman, Dermontii Dawson, Cris Carter, Cortez Kennedy, Floyd Little, Curtis Martin, Randall McDaniel, John Randle, Wille Roaf. What do they have in common? Zero Super Bowl rings.

You must be disgusted that Ernie Banks is in the HOF with his zero playoff appearances

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 03:29 PM)

Um...

Alex Rodriguez and Albert Pujols will go unclaimed, easily.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 03:42 PM)
One of those 2 is very unlikely to go to the hall of fame.

Yeah, but he also has > 600 home runs.

Remember when Bonds was near the end of his career and nobody was willing to offer him a contract despite the fact that he would have been one of the best offensive producers in baseball for like $10 million a year?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 03:44 PM)
Yeah, but he also has > 600 home runs.

Remember when Bonds was near the end of his career and nobody was willing to offer him a contract despite the fact that he would have been one of the best offensive producers in baseball for like $10 million a year?

I think a big distinction here is that Dunn would have presumably done it without PEDs. Bonds, Pujols and Arod would be first ballot without thinking twice if they didnt have the steroid issues hanging over their heads

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 03:23 PM)
This is probably going to be like talking to a brick wall, but here it goes anyway: Waiver claim decisions aren't made in a vacuum. Lots of players from every team are on waivers at the same time. Teams can't risk claiming multiple high salary guys because on the off chance they get stuck with all of them, they are totally screwed. Teams have to prioritize who they claim. DUNN GOING UNCLAIMED DOES NOT MEAN THAT NO TEAM WANTS HIM. It just means that he was not #1 on any team's list. With lots of starting pitchers and position players on waivers at the same time, a DH not getting claimed makes sense. As we've seen with Peavy and Rios, teams are reluctant right now to part with top prospects, so sitting on Dunn right now isn't Hahn's worst option at all.

Many times on the waiver list the best players in baseball pass through unclaimed because teams know there is no point in claiming them. They will be pulled back and the team will have wasted a claim. Instead they claim players they might be interested in acquiring or they claim players to try to block other teams from them. There is literally no point in making a waiver claim on Mike Trout, for example.

Now before someone throws a hissy fit, I am not saying this is the case for Adam Dunn, but it goes to the example of not being claimed meaning that no one wants you.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 03:48 PM)
Many times on the waiver list the best players in baseball pass through unclaimed because teams know there is no point in claiming them. They will be pulled back and the team will have wasted a claim. Instead they claim players they might be interested in acquiring or they claim players to try to block other teams from them. There is literally no point in making a waiver claim on Mike Trout, for example.

Now before someone throws a hissy fit, I am not saying this is the case for Adam Dunn, but it goes to the example of not being claimed meaning that no one wants you.

From an actually honest perspective, I don't think any team in their right mind would want to claim Dunn for $15 million a year for the next two years. The guy's starting to get to the age where big sluggers decline (just go look at Prince Fielder. If Greg and company think Dunn is an overpaid bum, wait a year or two for Fielder to turn into a even worse hitter) and he hasn't exactly been consistent the past three years. Plus, he's a 1B/DH (a bad 1B at that), so he pretty much holds little to no value in the NL. Add on the fact that there's a good amount of productive bats at 1B and DH already and he's not much of a commodity in the AL either.

Would teams take Dunn's bat for $10 million and one year? Probably. Two years and $30 million? Probably not. But that's just the price you pay when you go out and sign a big free agent (which Dunn was in 2011). You have to expect decline towards the end of the deal if you're signing a guy who's over 30. Just imagine the Gregs and jerksticks who are Angels fans or Tigers fans. They'll be saying the same things about Fielder and Pujols in the near future (if they haven't already).

Let's be clear about something - 150 more homers for Dunn is hardly a given. He's been fairly consistent throughout his career (extreme consistency, then a horrid year, then decent years) and relatively healthy, but things change fast...especially when you're drug free in your mid-30s. It looked like ARod was going to demolish the HR record and he even had the drugs.

Very important to emphasize that Dunn's HoF chances are highly hypothetical.