Teams abandoning shift against Dunn

southsider2k5

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he gets to 550, he should get serious consideration. Obviously he's far from a complete player, but he'll still be one of the top 25 or so clean power hitters of all time. Over 100 years of baseball and you're talking about one of the really elite home run hitters ever. There has to be some consideration for that. The Hall is full of guys who weren't complete players yet made it because they were exceptional at one thing for an extended period. I wouldn't be shocked if he got some votes just to spite the juicers and make a statement about the era. I'm not saying he deserves it though.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 02:05 PM)
Had Dunn changed approach and sucked..."STUPID DUNN, WHY DID HE CHANGE? NOW HE'S NOT HITTING 40 HOME RUNS ANYMORE!"

The funny thing is, despite hitting about 35 points better, Dunn's wRC+ is only 6% better than it was last year. SO MUCH CHANGE!

He might be more consistent on a daily basis, but the overall production you get from him isn't all that different. Whatever pleases the meatballs, I guess.

That's because he was at 2011 levels in May. His last couple of months he has been better than he has ever been as a White Sox.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 21, 2013 -> 09:14 AM)
That's because he was at 2011 levels in May. His last couple of months he has been better than he has ever been as a White Sox.

Dunn also had a .900+ OPS through May last year.

In fact, his highest wOBA on a monthly basis was in May of last year (.412).

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 01:56 AM)
Excellent post. To the Dunn lovers out there I'd ask this question to you: Looking back, do you think the White Sox made a wise decision in signing Adam Dunn? My answer is No, they made a very poor decision in signing Adam Dunn. Your answer please.

I'm not a fan of aquiring NL talent to play in the AL nor a full time DH.

I know this topic has been brought up numerous times over the year, and several times over the last 60 days, but again how is this guy not a hot commodity right now? He hasn't really slowed down much since May 31st, and although his power numbers have dipped since the ASB he is still productive.

Is this a case of just pure caution? Is it his contract? Is it just teams holding off until the very last minute to avoid giving their competition a chance to react? I guess I'm just surprised by the lack of activity. Maybe not surprised nothing has happened but to just hear crickets regarding any trades at all. The whole story at the deadline was the deadline is too early now because of the 2nd wild card and too many teams were in the race so the August deadline would have some excitement. Now I think it is more defined as to who is in it and it is too quiet.

I know this topic has been brought up numerous times over the year, and several times over the last 60 days, but again how is this guy not a hot commodity right now? He hasn't really slowed down much since May 31st, and although his power numbers have dipped since the ASB he is still productive.

Is this a case of just pure caution? Is it his contract? Is it just teams holding off until the very last minute to avoid giving their competition a chance to react? I guess I'm just surprised by the lack of activity. Maybe not surprised nothing has happened but to just hear crickets regarding any trades at all. The whole story at the deadline was the deadline is too early now because of the 2nd wild card and too many teams were in the race so the August deadline would have some excitement. Now I think it is more defined as to who is in it and it is too quiet.

Well, part of the problem is that the five NL playoff spots and a couple of the AL spots are just about locked down, so even if one of them thought Dunn would be a good upgrade for them at 1B/DH, it's hard to justify giving up anything valuable for him when you're pretty much a lock to make it in without him. And in general, teams just aren't in the mindset of giving up good prospects for veterans right now. In that respect, the Sox picked a bad year to suck.

The other thing too is that I don't think teams have any problem either taking on even the majority of his contract. He's just not worth, at this point, about $18 million to a team over the next 7 months of baseball nor are teams going to give up anything of great significance even if the Sox pick up most of the salary. He just has more value to the Sox now than anyone else.

Hopefully eh hits like .350 next year and the Sox can trade him for a million pieces. Or win.

QUOTE (HeGone7 @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 09:51 AM)

I think 2011 is hard to ignore.

QUOTE (HeGone7 @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 08:51 AM)

I don't think he fill the voids most teams need in the playoff hunt.