Avisail Garcia is the truth.

Steve9347

.297 average since his callup. Hits in 8 of his last 9, three multi-hit games in his last 6. He's also starting to get a bit gappy and hit some doubles.

Rick Hahn is a genius to get him (and more) from a division rival in a deal that sent away the oft-injured Jake Peavy.

I love it and I love what Rick Hahn has shown already. More genius, please.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 19, 2013 -> 10:42 AM)
.297 average since his callup. Hits in 8 of his last 9, three multi-hit games in his last 6. He's also starting to get a bit gappy and hit some doubles.

Rick Hahn is a genius to get him (and more) from a division rival in a deal that sent away the oft-injured Jake Peavy.

I love it and I love what Rick Hahn has shown already. More genius, please.

Yeah, I agree.

As much as Garcia has some of the same flaws of players we already have, getting a guy with his talent and tools is impressive. Especially when you consider the complexity of the deal. I think that, maybe even more so than the player acquired, made me feel a bit better about Hahn's tenure moving forward.

Jeff Manto should get some credit for Garcia's hitting success. He encouraged and worked with him about going the other way. Seems to have worked. I remember seeing this kid last year towards the end of the season when he was called up by the Tigers. I wondered then if they had another Cabrera type on their hands and I was worried. Now he is a Sox player and that's a good thing

as it stands for this SSS he has a 5BB% & 17.5K% not terrible and he still really young i love seeing the adjustments he is making at the plate and i still think he develops into somewhere between Carlos Gomez and Jose Guilien. His BABIP is pretty high in the SSS but that is just a testament to his hit tool. I think he can be something special and I hope he challenges Viciedo. If Viciedo can turn it around and develop along side Garcia that will be huge for the sox.

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 19, 2013 -> 06:32 PM)
as it stands for this SSS he has a 5BB% & 17.5K% not terrible and he still really young i love seeing the adjustments he is making at the plate and i still think he develops into somewhere between Carlos Gomez and Jose Guilien. His BABIP is pretty high in the SSS but that is just a testament to his hit tool. I think he can be something special and I hope he challenges Viciedo. If Viciedo can turn it around and develop along side Garcia that will be huge for the sox.

I think Garcia will be better than the two players you mention. But, point well taken about Viciedo. Hopefully he figures out the wicked hard swings at everything isn't needed.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 19, 2013 -> 01:36 PM)
I think Garcia will be better than the two players you mention. But, point well taken about Viciedo. Hopefully he figures out the wicked hard swings at everything isn't needed.

viciedo lunges at pitches nothing smooth. He has the power he needs to create a smoother swing.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 19, 2013 -> 01:27 PM)
Jeff Manto should get some credit for Garcia's hitting success. He encouraged and worked with him about going the other way. Seems to have worked. I remember seeing this kid last year towards the end of the season when he was called up by the Tigers. I wondered then if they had another Cabrera type on their hands and I was worried. Now he is a Sox player and that's a good thing

The kid was hitting .381 all season in the minors but Jeff Manto gets credit for a 2 week stretch in the bigs?

NOTABLE: according to Pitch F/X, Garcia's O-Swing since the trade is at just 27%, which is a touch better than league average (29.6%) and a billion times better than his previous ML career average (37%).

I do not know if this is sustainable BUT this is an example of a successful major league hitting approach. His walk rates are ~5% where they always were, but it's fine because he's being selective in the pitches he swings at. Please, keep this up!

If he can be good, and Gordon Beckham can be for real there is no reason this team cannot compete next season with the a couple decent offseason pickups. I'm ready to give up on the draft, just win these games and get these guys thinking positively about next year.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 19, 2013 -> 08:25 PM)
The kid was hitting .381 all season in the minors but Jeff Manto gets credit for a 2 week stretch in the bigs?

I think we know that hitting in the minors and hitting in the majors are just a bit different. Manto has helped him make adjustments to major league pitching, which was going to take advantage of any weaknesses he might have with his approach at the plate

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 19, 2013 -> 05:46 PM)
I think we know that hitting in the minors and hitting in the majors are just a bit different. Manto has helped him make adjustments to major league pitching, which was going to take advantage of any weaknesses he might have with his approach at the plate

Avi Garcia has been hitting the ball to RF long before he got called up or even traded to this organization. Every highlight of HRs I've seen of him are to RF.

Avi Garcia is a very nice step in a younger/ cheaper direction. However, before we call Hahn a 'genius' lets see what else he can do in attempt to set us up nicely moving forward. I was a little disappointed in our return for Rios, at the same time he shed a pretty big contract and saved the organization 14 million dollars. I was a skeptic of Hahn 3 months ago but he is slowly showing me that he actually can be creative.

Here is to even better moves to come in the near future! :cheers

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 07:25 PM)
Garica needs to walk more. Plus its too small of a sample size.

It's good to see his power developing a bit (he hit nothing but singles last year for Detroit). The patience will need to improve, but it won't matter as much if he can be a .300 hitter.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 10:51 PM)
Avi Garcia is a very nice step in a younger/ cheaper direction. However, before we call Hahn a 'genius' lets see what else he can do in attempt to set us up nicely moving forward. I was a little disappointed in our return for Rios, at the same time he shed a pretty big contract and saved the organization 14 million dollars. I was a skeptic of Hahn 3 months ago but he is slowly showing me that he actually can be creative.

Here is to even better moves to come in the near future! :cheers

And don't forget a couple of the prospects we got in the trades might pan out to be decent hitters as well.

I'm excited about him too, but let's not make him this into the next Gordon Beckham thread quite yet :P

The biggest reason to be hopeful, to me, isn't that slash line (anyone can get hot for ten games), but the fact that he's been selective. He hasn't started walking yet, but if he keeps his O-Swing around league average like he has, the walks will come. And if they don't, it's fine because if he's only swinging at good pitches, he's going to be finding plenty of hits anyway.