Avisail Garcia is the truth.

Steve9347

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 12:59 PM)
Tim Beckham was a former 1st overall selection. I don't think he's ever been more highly thought of as a hitter than Avi Garcia.

The point is Young came up as a 20 year old and looked really good, but he turned out to not be much of a player. Hopefully Garcia is what we hope, but you never know.

Viciedo put up an .840 OPS in about 100 ABs as a 21 year old. Now a lot of posters would love to see him gone.

If Garcia was a sure bet to be the next Magglio Ordonez, it would have been a lot more expensive to acquire him, if you could acquire him at all.

I like Maggs as a comp. Delmon probably isn't a bad one either if you go back to his pre-failure.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 01:20 PM)
I like Maggs as a comp. Delmon probably isn't a bad one either if you go back to his pre-failure.

That's the whole point. He could be Maggs, or even better. He also might be Delmon Young as a ballplayer, although probably a better human being.

If Viciedo could be CLee and Garcia turns Maggs-like, offense probably isn't going to be a problem with the Sox moving forward.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 03:25 PM)
Ceiling? Not much if any. The guy hit one off of the facing of the Comcast Fundamentals Deck. Garcia has massive power potential.

I know he HAS the power, but I'm not sure he will ever fully tap into it during games. I mean, he has never hit more than 14 in a season in the minors, and has 2 HR in 65 career MLB games. I think Avisail may play the speed/contact game more than he will try to hit a ton of HR. Plus, Starberry hit nearly 40 HR a few times.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 03:38 PM)
I know he HAS the power, but I'm not sure he will ever fully tap into it during games. I mean, he has never hit more than 14 in a season in the minors, and has 2 HR in 65 career MLB games. I think Avisail may play the speed/contact game more than he will try to hit a ton of HR. Plus, Starberry hit nearly 40 HR a few times.

Of course, the counterpoint is that he's a guy who has been several years young for every level he's been at in the minors and only finally broke out this year in AAA, so there's only so much you're going to learn by saying he never hit more than 14 HR a season. He hit 14 HR as a 21 year old split between high-A and AA and only put up a .789 OPS on the full season, so clearly everyone's hoping that those numbers will not be representative of his peak performance several years later.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 02:38 PM)

That is the definition of ceiling. That was Darryl's ceiling when he came into the game. Whether it will happen or not is debate, but that has no bearing on what his ceiling actually is.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 02:44 PM)
That is the definition of ceiling. That was Darryl's ceiling when he came into the game. Whether it will happen or not is debate, but that has no bearing on what his ceiling actually is.

Also it is worth noting that Strawberry never it 40 homers in a season.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 02:55 PM)
I said "hit nearly 40 HR a few times."

He hit 39 twice, and 37 another time.

Magglio topped out at 38 after only topping out at 18 in the minors. Ordonez actually hit 30+ one more time than Straw. The "almost 40" is kind of a cheap attempt to make it look bigger than it actually was.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 03:11 PM)
Speaking of Maggs, holy s*** I had forgotten that he had a near MVP season for Detroit in 2007. Hit .363 with 28 HR, 139 RBI, but finished 2nd in MVP to a roided up ARod who hit 54 HR.

Im not willing to discount the fact that Magglio could have been roiding himself.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 03:32 PM)
Very nice wite, best comparison thrown out yet. Obviously we would want better but not far of and a safe pick.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/e/encarju01.shtml

Jose Canseco outed Magglio before. Considering the era and his knee injury prior to his career best season (which happened at age 33), you have to think Maggs took steroids.

It really sucks because Magglio was my first favorite player. I had two jerseys, mimicked his batting stance and everything. His run from '99 to '03 was my first years of watching baseball and he was dominating.

I love Magglio until the BS stunts he pulled during his free agency. I even see a little bit of Maggs finish when Garcia goes the other way.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 03:32 PM)
Very nice wite, best comparison thrown out yet. Obviously we would want better but not far of and a safe pick.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/e/encarju01.shtml

Jose Canseco outed Magglio before. Considering the era and his knee injury prior to his career best season (which happened at age 33), you have to think Maggs took steroids.

It really sucks because Magglio was my first favorite player. I had two jerseys, mimicked his batting stance and everything. His run from '99 to '03 was my first years of watching baseball and he was dominating.

Pre-roids Maggs had great gap power. Garcia hits alot like him and has more athleticism.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 04:36 PM)
Yeah the whole Ozzie-Magglio debacle and Maggs' being insistent on getting knee surgery in Austria was tough as a huge fan.

I didn't even mind the knee surgery overseas thing (especially now in hindsight that lots of guys do that, i.e. in the NBA), what bothered me was he told the public he wanted to come back in 2004 but then refused to give the White Sox a chance to examine his knee post-surgery while giving a workout to the Tigers before signing.

Of course, Jermaine Dye did lessen the anger quite substantially over that.

Speaking of Maggs, holy s*** I had forgotten that he had a near MVP season for Detroit in 2007. Hit .363 with 28 HR, 139 RBI, but finished 2nd in MVP to a roided up ARod who hit 54 HR.

Maggs is my 2nd favorite Sox player born on 1/29/74.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 03:38 PM)
I didn't even mind the knee surgery overseas thing (especially now in hindsight that lots of guys do that, i.e. in the NBA), what bothered me was he told the public he wanted to come back in 2004 but then refused to give the White Sox a chance to examine his knee post-surgery while giving a workout to the Tigers before signing.

Of course, Jermaine Dye did lessen the anger quite substantially over that.

What bother me was at first they lied about the surgery having been done.