Who Makes It Back to the post-season first, Sox/Cubs?

caulfield12

First team back to post-season play?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who's the first to make it back?

• White Sox
    • Cubs

http://www.csnchicago.com/cubs/cubs-or-sox...ostseason-first

Discuss/debate.

Not really a long article, but perhaps a more interesting discussion if it was flushed out in about 5-6 areas (minor leagues, major leagues, NL vs. AL, payrolls/expected payrolls, Wrigley Expansion/Renovation, Ricketts vs. Reinsdorf, possible ownership/succession plans for Sox, etc.)

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 21, 2013 -> 10:35 PM)
They have certainly shown to have the better GM for rebuilding but then again, I'm not sure we're at that point. And ultimately that plan is a crapshoot as it is.

"We're" not, and nor were "we" this past offseason.

I went with the Sox just because I believe they have less holes to fill. Really though I think it's all about who wants to spend money. If the Sox wanna bring in a 1B(Abreu, Morales, Hart, Lind) and a catcher (McCann, Salty) they realistically can make it back NEXT YEAR IMO.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 04:41 AM)
You can get in with great pitching and below average hitting.

It's rare that you can get in with great hitting and below average pitching.

That's true. I would think Sale, Q, Rienzo, and Santiago are worth more than their top 5 MLBers and top 5 prospects combined going forward.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 21, 2013 -> 10:48 PM)
That's true. I would think Sale, Q, Rienzo, and Santiago are worth more than their top 5 MLBers and top 5 prospects combined going forward.

If Rienzo becomes another Q/Santiago out-of-nowhere type pitch, Sox are looking good.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 21, 2013 -> 10:49 PM)
If Rienzo becomes another Q/Santiago out-of-nowhere type pitch, Sox are looking good.

I agree, I mentioned it in the game thread but Rienzo reminds me a ton of Chad Billingsley. If he can produce at 2WAR level at the back end of the rotation with the upside to go full on 4WAR that would be huge. I hope the sox spend 2-3.5m to sign Floyd to a one year deal as insurance, that would give them the ability to move Johnson or Rienzo along with the likes of Snodgress for a young bat. Lastly Hahn still needs to lock up Q and Santiago this offseason though.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 04:48 AM)

I don't think they would trade Baez or Bryant for anyone other than Sale straight up.

That's tough because I feel the Sox have a better major league squad, and are flush with good young talent in the majors. The Cubs, however, have only a couple good young major leaguers, but they are STOCKED with great young hitting prospects.

In conclusion I think the Sox may make it to the playoffs sooner, but the Cubs will have the longer success over the next decade.

I went with the Cubs cause I believe the Sox remain a mess. There's a very bizarre mental mindset on our team (yes, it started with the play of the Sox in Ozzie's final year and a half). Robin has continued that mindset - weird way of losing games; very bizarre style of play; inability to win consistently at home for some reason; lift and pull mentality remaining with no bases on balls, even though we have ONE home run hitter on the roster.

Very weird team and I don't see the mindset changing enough to get us in the playoffs anytime soon. We're going to need a special manager to work with these players; don't know who that manager would be. I might try a very old baseball lifer next time. His name?? Tony LaRussa. Beg him to take over the team.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 01:16 AM)
I went with the Cubs cause I believe the Sox remain a mess. There's a very bizarre mental mindset on our team (yes, it started with the play of the Sox in Ozzie's final year and a half). Robin has continued that mindset - weird way of losing games; very bizarre style of play; inability to win consistently at home for some reason; lift and pull mentality remaining with no bases on balls, even though we have ONE home run hitter on the roster.

Very weird team and I don't see the mindset changing enough to get us in the playoffs anytime soon. We're going to need a special manager to work with these players; don't know who that manager would be. I might try a very old baseball lifer next time. His name?? Tony LaRussa. Beg him to take over the team.

tumblr_m848ix4BTn1r76lino1_250.gif

Sox.

We're not only closer now with excellent pitching (including depth) and a few young pieces on offense, but our front office has actually shown a willingness to win. Theo will probably hand out a bad contract to an offensive player this offseason but never actually make moves that make them a winning club.

I said the Sox mainly because of the pitching talent, but also because the AL Central is a pretty weak division right now. Tigers are good but look headed for a decline. Indians and Royals never seem to be able to turn good farm systems into winning major league clubs, and the Twins are still years away.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Aug 21, 2013 -> 11:38 PM)
I'll take a good staff over good hitting prospects and its not even close.

And let's clarify, we have a good, young, major league staff. These guys are actually producing at the major league level right now. That can't be understated.

The Cubs' offensive prospects are very talented, but until they prove something at the major league level they remain what they are, prospects with a high percentage of busting.