Hillary

greg775

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 31, 2014 -> 07:41 PM)
I'm pretty sure that Hillary Clinton is aware that she can be beaten in a hard-fought presidential primary.

Really? I think this one is different. She's going to be running as a "queen of England" type candidate. It's basically her turn to win and she knows it. The Republicans pretty much have no chance nowadays until (if) they ever get their s*** together.

I don't think issues will really matter re. Hillary and the more she gets out there and speaks it might just hurt her. She's gotten cranky in the past on bad days and my personal feeling is she has a little Bob Dole in her, kind of an unlikeable quality (on TV). And though some of you may get mad at me for saying this (the people who think platforms truly matter), the how you appear on TV factor is one of the biggest if not THE biggest factors in an election.

To her credit, Hillary will NEVER be as annoying on TV as Sarah Palin. The moment I see her or hear a word come out of her mouth, it's time to change channels. Ugh.

Edited by greg775

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 31, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)
Really? I think this one is different. She's going to be running as a "queen of England" type candidate. It's basically her turn to win and she knows it. The Republicans pretty much have no chance nowadays until (if) they ever get their s*** together.

I don't think issues will really matter re. Hillary and the more she gets out there and speaks it might just hurt her. She's gotten cranky in the past on bad days and my personal feeling is she has a little Bob Dole in her, kind of an unlikeable quality (on TV). And though some of you may get mad at me for saying this (the people who think platforms truly matter), the how you appear on TV factor is one of the biggest if not THE biggest factors in an election.

To her credit, Hillary will NEVER be as annoying on TV as Sarah Palin. The moment I see her or hear a word come out of her mouth, it's time to change channels. Ugh.

I'm not mad at that, I'm just annoyed that you're basically judging her for the lack of content in her campaign 2.5 years before the actual election.

In every other country in the world, no one would have a clue who was even running 2 years in advance, let alone be mad that they're not presenting a detailed policy platform. Elections get called and are over in a period of weeks everywhere else and that would be a vast improvement over this never-ending campaign/fundraising we do.

I think Hillary is wisely being as quiet as possible on most substantive issues and questions like her "plan" but it's easy to have an ass made of you over the course of two years. Wait to see what matters, what people want, etc. when it's closer to time to actually run

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 1, 2014 -> 01:08 AM)
I think Hillary is wisely being as quiet as possible on most substantive issues and questions like her "plan" but it's easy to have an ass made of you over the course of two years. Wait to see what matters, what people want, etc. when it's closer to time to actually run

That's true. What Balta said is too. We'll see what she comes up with. I'll be very interested to see what happens. Maybe she'll become possessed and want to win the presidency to help the country more than just be a figurehead. I would assume being that the presidency will be pretty much conceded to her that she will accept it for history's sake. She'll forever be known as first woman president. Hopefully she'll bring something positive to the table. I do think my Bob Dole comparison is a good one, though. It's just that she'll face no real opposition while Dole faced the democratic machine which always gets a boost from the media.

I have to say, regardless of her qualifications for the job, I can't say that I love the sound of it that our Presidents over the years would be Bush-Clinton-Bush-someone else to make it seem less creepy-Clinton. Who would win after that, Jeb? George Prescott? Chelsea Clinton?

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 7, 2014 -> 12:09 AM)
I have to say, regardless of her qualifications for the job, I can't say that I love the sound of it that our Presidents over the years would be Bush-Clinton-Bush-someone else to make it seem less creepy-Clinton. Who would win after that, Jeb? George Prescott? Chelsea Clinton?

This bothers me as well.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 7, 2014 -> 04:38 PM)
Because we should learn from our mistakes instead of repeating them.

That is true. With all these people in our country we have to keep turning to the Bushes and Clintons? Great post about Chelsea. Bring her on right after Hillary's eight years.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 7, 2014 -> 02:37 PM)
That is true. With all these people in our country we have to keep turning to the Bushes and Clintons? Great post about Chelsea. Bring her on right after Hillary's eight years.

IMO, it's a combination of the media's desire to treat government as a bunch of celebrity stories and the fact that everyone in government spends a huge fraction of their time prostituting themselves for money from rich people, so having contacts with the appropriate rich people gives a leg up.

Oh, and the education and connections that are available to the kids of the super-rich and connected but not to the rest of us don't hurt either.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2014 -> 06:41 PM)
IMO, it's a combination of the media's desire to treat government as a bunch of celebrity stories and the fact that everyone in government spends a huge fraction of their time prostituting themselves for money from rich people, so having contacts with the appropriate rich people gives a leg up.

Oh, and the education and connections that are available to the kids of the super-rich and connected but not to the rest of us don't hurt either.

Yep, great post.

You are right. The media does do that. Obama is a helluva celebrity story. So are the Clintons. The Bushes aren't bad copy either. Still it's pretty sad like the poster said we have Bush/Clinton only interrupted by the handsome Obama. Now it's back to Clinton, then if the Republicans get their s*** together, it's Bush following Hillary unless Chelsea wants to run.

I always assumed it would be Jeb Bush or George P. Bush (half-Hispanic nephew of George W. and Jeb's son)...but the Bush brand name is too damaged.

From everything you see and read about Chelsea, she's way too introverted to run for president, kind of reminiscent of Caroline Kennedy.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 02:42 AM)
I always assumed it would be Jeb Bush or George P. Bush (half-Hispanic nephew of George W. and Jeb's son)...but the Bush brand name is too damaged.

From everything you see and read about Chelsea, she's way too introverted to run for president, kind of reminiscent of Caroline Kennedy.

Compared to the rest of the potential field, I would not count Jeb bush out as a candidate yet. He may not interest the general voters but the people who got Mitt Romney onto the ticket were the big money people and Jeb could have the type of connections necessary to become their candidate.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 11:30 AM)
Compared to the rest of the potential field, I would not count Jeb bush out as a candidate yet. He may not interest the general voters but the people who got Mitt Romney onto the ticket were the big money people and Jeb could have the type of connections necessary to become their candidate.

I definitely agree with that. Don't think he can beat Hillary, though. It's going to be weird having Bill back in the White House as First Man. I wonder if Hillary will try to stifle him if he opens his mouth a lot as First Man.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 10:03 PM)
I definitely agree with that. Don't think he can beat Hillary, though. It's going to be weird having Bill back in the White House as First Man. I wonder if Hillary will try to stifle him if he opens his mouth a lot as First Man.

8 more years of Bill would rock.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 03:28 AM)
Balanced budget, created 22 million jobs, and got laid lots.

I wonder if he cheated more than once. ... This is not meant to be sexist. Those who know my stance know I'm not a Hillary fan. As a Hillary-hater, hater meant in a non mean way, more the new vernacular of the word 'hater,' I wonder if she could just win the election and let Bill run the country. Kind of like the way Coop makes the decisions on the Sox concerning pitching. Hillary might be OK as president if she'd secretly let Bill do everything.

Edited by greg775

I wonder if he cheated more than once. ... This is not meant to be sexist. Those who know my stance know I'm not a Hillary fan. As a Hillary-hater, hater meant in a non mean way, more the new vernacular of the word 'hater,' I wonder if she could just win the election and let Bill run the country. Kind of like the way Coop makes the decisions on the Sox concerning pitching. Hillary might be OK as president if she'd secretly let Bill do everything.

Probably not on the same day.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 8, 2014 -> 09:03 PM)

She should have in South Carolina leading up to that primary in 2008. That was perhaps the turning point, IMO.

I'll vote for her because I feel bad for her. Must have been tough after they left the White House having to pay for all of those mortgageS on the houseS they owned. And Chelsea's education at Stanford, Oxford and Columbia. Poor, poor Hillary. That Presidential pension of $200k a year just wasn't enough.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 10, 2014 -> 02:29 PM)
I'll vote for her because I feel bad for her. Must have been tough after they left the White House having to pay for all of those mortgageS on the houseS they owned. And Chelsea's education at Stanford, Oxford and Columbia. Poor, poor Hillary. That Presidential pension of $200k a year just wasn't enough.

I didn't like that interview with Sawyer. Of course Sawyer had to "apologize" right after, saying Hillary does a lot of speaking for free. Shut up, Diane. Just do your piece, don't suck up at the end!!!

She'll be the first president to win in a long time who is "unlikeable" on TV and in interviews. I guess you could argue the Bushes were unlikeable, but not really. They were pretty fiesty and just watching them speak didn't make you want to turn the channel immediately, at least not me. I can't take more than a minute of Hillary talk.

Read some good columns on Hillary's new book tonight.

Said it was very boring and way too long, BUT it assures her running for President. It offended nobody, praised everybody and was pretty much a document that gets her on all the talk shows able to talk about what she wants, on her terms only.

This may be one of the biggest presidential landslides ever. Let's hope Hillary has some clout and wants to get some things done rather than just become the first woman president and assured goddess-like status in the world forever.

Hmmm Hillary said she was dead broke. And now she argues with NPR. This is going to be entertaining. I'm telling you she has some Bob Dole in her (unlikeability). If the media during her candidacy attempt to ask her "real questions" rather than simply worship her, it should be fun. I could see the media going either way on this, I'm still leaning toward the worship.

Edited by greg775