Hillary

greg775

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 10:35 AM)
Half in jest. But was your reply of "It's not a huge mystery. Just about every policy the Republicans have is not beneficial to lower-income people." and mine really that different? { edit, just realized that you didn't post what I pasted here.} Most of the issues that don't revolve around getting something from the government are semantics and framing. Raising minimum wage? Sure, might help some who get it, but many others wold be let go and even more still would have their hours cut, so wouldn't see any real benefit at all. Immigration reform? How does that hurt any person here of minority status? How does keeping out an illegal mexican hurt the poor hispanic/black.white person here? it doesn't. In fact it could help them by having more jobs available for them. War on women? Please, that is a made up piece of crap by the DNC. Not wanting to pay for birth control is not some oppressive patriarchy RNC idea to keep women in the kitchen barefoot and pregnant. And if I recall, a majority of the offenders in the news the last year or so have been Democratic office holders. (Filner, Weiner, etc.). I also recall a study done around the last Presidential election (trying to find link, but my google-fu isn't that good) that tried to find out why religious, family oriented hispanics kept voting for Democrats, and the self reported answers trended to 'we get more stuff from the Dems'.

As for the whites only club, look at many of the liberal institutions, clubs and even blogs that claim to espouse inclusiveness. They are whiter than my ass in most cases. I don't disagree that it happens. I have seen it a few times, and am happy I haven't seen it more. I've seen it the other way a few times as well.

Yeah I don't care for democrats either as they only do what they do for votes. I don't identify with either of the majority parties, they are both scum. Atleast Republicans are honest about their disdain for minorities (not referring to immigration). Democrats just give minorities crumbs to keep them happy.

I was just simply saying that a minority candidate would probably do the Republicans good for trying to win elections. The old white guy candidate is dull and boring.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I don't care for democrats either as they only do what they do for votes. I don't identify with either of the majority parties, they are both scum. Atleast Republicans are honest about their disdain for minorities (not referring to immigration). Democrats just give minorities crumbs to keep them happy.

I was just simply saying that a minority candidate would probably do the Republicans good for trying to win elections. The old white guy candidate is dull and boring.

That's really the biggest point in all of this. Both parties do what they do for money and power. Any help that any Americans get as a result is coincidental. Political system needs a major overhaul.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 03:30 PM)
Damn Alpha Dog. I generally like your posts and I really hope this one was done in jest. I'm black and I don't want free stuff but I would like it if Republicans could do without the whites only club. There may not be a sign that says it but if you look at a RNC, you see a sea of salt.

I was at a posh wedding a couple of years ago. White rich people galore and definitely Republicans. They asked me what I did for a living and most of them practically spit out their drinks because they probably expected me to say I was unemployed or worked as a janitor.

They are simply out of touch, that's why they can't win.

Excellent post. I can picture some of the out of touch white Republicans I know spitting out the drink as well when you tell them what you do. The Republican party truly is a joke right now.

If you're catering directly to voters, chances are you are executing the will of voters. I think there are times when you should not do that, but doing what the people want is often the lesser of evils

The problem we face is that it costs money to reach voters and typical voters aren't typically the ones donating

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 02:48 PM)
Excellent post. I can picture some of the out of touch white Republicans I know spitting out the drink as well when you tell them what you do. The Republican party truly is a joke right now.

Then you know some real tools. About the only thing he could tell me he does that would make me pause would be to say he is the recruiting director for the KKK. Seriously, why would anyone be surprised at what he does, enough so that you would ascribe racist intentions to it?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 03:24 PM)
Then you know some real tools. About the only thing he could tell me he does that would make me pause would be to say he is the recruiting director for the KKK. Seriously, why would anyone be surprised at what he does, enough so that you would ascribe racist intentions to it?

I think they probably don't interact with minorities that much. When they did, they probably fit the stereotypical bill. I don't think they were racist per se, just probably not very aware of the world outside their bubbles. I was the only black person at this wedding (I went with my girlfriend). I wish I had a tie camera so you guys could have seen it. I even found it surreal.

It's like when State Sen. Obama was at a campaign fundraiser and he had potential donors treat him like a waiter - not because they were thinking hard about it, because their subconscious mind just decided that guy had the look of a waiter

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 10:20 AM)
It's like when State Sen. Obama was at a campaign fundraiser and he had potential donors treat him like a waiter - not because they were thinking hard about it, because their subconscious mind just decided that guy had the look of a waiter

DONOR: "Be a good colored boy and grab me a glass of your best pinot noir."

OBAMA: "Excuse me? As I was saying..."

Reminded me of the time I started my old job. Most black people worked with the animals and cleaned cages all day. So when I met a person, they immediately assumed I was the new animal care worker. No b****, I'm the new chemist.

Edited by pettie4sox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 01:15 PM)
What that Pew poll that Jake posted in the "Religion in America" found is that an awful lot of white people simply don't believe that sort of discrimination still exists, or at least that it has meaningful impact.

There is a certain subset, at least, that sees black folks as no particular victim of discrimination. That same subset thinks they themselves are the most persecuted group of people

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Sep 25, 2014 -> 08:24 PM)

My whole life I've been around Afr. American people and have been lucky enough to never even think of people as being different. I guess some fat-cat white Republicans simply haven't been as lucky as me and actually remain prejudiced. Amazes me. I am no better or worse than any other race; I don't see color even though I grew up in a racist southside neighborhood. So I consider myself lucky that I'm not a race guy.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 26, 2014 -> 06:38 PM)
My whole life I've been around Afr. American people and have been lucky enough to never even think of people as being different. I guess some fat-cat white Republicans simply haven't been as lucky as me and actually remain prejudiced. Amazes me. I am no better or worse than any other race; I don't see color even though I grew up in a racist southside neighborhood. So I consider myself lucky that I'm not a race guy.

It's literally a Stephen Colbert "you should be embarrassed if you say this because you understand nothing" quote.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 27, 2014 -> 02:52 AM)
It's literally a Stephen Colbert "you should be embarrassed if you say this because you understand nothing" quote.

What's to understand? I'm not racist, never have been. I'm colorblind, always have been. Growing up, people in my neighborhood were extremely racist. That didn't turn me into a racist so why can't I be proud of that?

• 1 month later...

GEORGE WILL had a nice column today indicating it may not be all smooth sailing for Hillary in her quest to land what many believe is "entitlted" to be hers ... the Presidency. This gives me hope maybe she could lose.

Will writes these two paragraphs. ... Please give me your comments.

Yuval Levin, whose sharp thinking was honed at the University of Chicago’s Committee on Social Thought, is editor of the National Affairs quarterly and author of two books on science and public policy and, most recently, of The Great Debate: Edmund Burke, Thomas Paine, and the Birth of Right and Left. He is one of conservatism’s most sophisticated and measured explicators, so his biting assessment of Clinton is especially notable. He writes:

She is smart, tough and savvy and has a capacity to learn from failure and adjust. But . . . people are bored of her and feel like she has been talking at them forever. . . . She is a dull, grating, inauthentic, over-eager, insipid elitist with ideological blinders yet no particular vision and is likely to be reduced to running on a dubious promise of experience and competence while faking idealism and hope — a very common type of presidential contender in both parties, but one that almost always loses.

Greg says: Hmmmmm. This type of candidate almost always loses! Things could get interesting. My guess is if Hilly thinks there is ANY chance of her losing she won't run. Now if she gets what she is entitled to have, the presidency, she'll go ahead and be coronated. That's my take. Yours?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 09:33 PM)
GEORGE WILL had a nice column today indicating it may not be all smooth sailing for Hillary in her quest to land what many believe is "entitlted" to be hers ... the Presidency. This gives me hope maybe she could lose.

Will writes these two paragraphs. ... Please give me your comments.

Yuval Levin, whose sharp thinking was honed at the University of Chicago’s Committee on Social Thought, is editor of the National Affairs quarterly and author of two books on science and public policy and, most recently, of The Great Debate: Edmund Burke, Thomas Paine, and the Birth of Right and Left. He is one of conservatism’s most sophisticated and measured explicators, so his biting assessment of Clinton is especially notable. He writes:

She is smart, tough and savvy and has a capacity to learn from failure and adjust. But . . . people are bored of her and feel like she has been talking at them forever. . . . She is a dull, grating, inauthentic, over-eager, insipid elitist with ideological blinders yet no particular vision and is likely to be reduced to running on a dubious promise of experience and competence while faking idealism and hope — a very common type of presidential contender in both parties, but one that almost always loses.

Greg says: Hmmmmm. This type of candidate almost always loses! Things could get interesting. My guess is if Hilly thinks there is ANY chance of her losing she won't run. Now if she gets what she is entitled to have, the presidency, she'll go ahead and be coronated. That's my take. Yours?

Not to burst your hope bubble or anything, but the same people that elected Obama the second time (and would elect him a third time if they could), WILL elect Hillary. And not for nothing, but maybe that's because the only other party that stands a chance in our glorious two party system hasn't or can't offer anyone better.

In either case, when the primary dust clears, I'm betting this election comes down to choosing between another Clinton or another Bush.

Awesome.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 03:34 PM)
Not to burst your hope bubble or anything, but the same people that elected Obama the second time (and would elect him a third time if they could), WILL elect Hillary. And not for nothing, but maybe that's because the only other party that stands a chance in our glorious two party system hasn't or can't offer anyone better.

In either case, when the primary dust clears, I'm betting this election comes down to choosing between another Clinton or another Bush.

Awesome.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Sep 19, 2014 -> 10:38 AM)
They just need to dangle a minority out there that actually has a shot. You can't keep trotting the likes of McCain and Romney and expect to win an election.

Susana Martinez.

The Hispanic and Asian vote are going to be THE huge battleground in future elections.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 10:39 AM)
Just like it was last time for Hillary. A national lovefest.

If she doesn't face any credible opposition in the primaries, that opponent will become the media.

Of course, if the Republicans don't find any strong candidates and their policies/platform are essentially the same, then the media will probably favor a return to the "comfort" of the Clinton Era story lines and scandals because anything's better than what we will see the next two years of a lame duck Obama administration and Republican Congress.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 10:45 AM)
Susana Martinez.

The Hispanic and Asian vote are going to be THE huge battleground in future elections.

For a smaller state population-wise New Mexico sure has churned out some Prez candidates lately. Richardson was a Dem contender, former gov Johnson was the Libertarian candidate last cycle, and Martinez is on many short lists now.

Martinez is pretty popular in her state, though there have been some insider-dealing stories around her. Nothing big, but could come up later. A bigger issue is that she has alienated a significant portion of the Hispanic population in her state (which is a varied and odd grouping there, but that's another story). She's pushed for voter ID laws and other legislation that fits with the GOP list of wants, but doesn't go over well with that population.

I don't hate Hillary, but she's toward the bottom of the list of Dems that may or may not be contemplating a presidential run. What she is though is tough, experienced, and probably the most thoroughly vetted candidate to ever run. I don't expect any big surprises or mistakes. I do wonder if Dem voters, particularly the sort that vote in primaries, may be tired of her by then. The left has been growing more and more worried about her whole not-really-being-all-that-much-of-a-leftist thing. They were worried about that with Obama too, though, and he still won - of course, I don't think people knew that much about where he fit into the spectrum when he was getting elected.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 08:35 PM)
I don't hate Hillary, but she's toward the bottom of the list of Dems that may or may not be contemplating a presidential run. What she is though is tough, experienced, and probably the most thoroughly vetted candidate to ever run. I don't expect any big surprises or mistakes. I do wonder if Dem voters, particularly the sort that vote in primaries, may be tired of her by then. The left has been growing more and more worried about her whole not-really-being-all-that-much-of-a-leftist thing. They were worried about that with Obama too, though, and he still won - of course, I don't think people knew that much about where he fit into the spectrum when he was getting elected.

I thought it was interesting in that quote I posted that the guy said people are tired of her speaking down to them and her sense of entitlement. It said that hasn't worked in the past. I feel like those are legitimate points to make about Hillary. She doesn't deserve the presidency just because it's her turn. Give her some lifetime achievement award; not the presidency.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 03:35 PM)

I'll almost certainly be voting against her in the primaries but in a post citizens united world I can't see anyone having a shot at her. The Obama campaign in 2008 was plenty wall street friendly and that helped them a lot, but I think the level of support she'll now be able to get financially will be unprecedented.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 11, 2014 -> 02:35 PM)

Because his campaign team was successful in being able to project/elicit hope from both the leftists (close Guantanomo, green jobs like wind/solar/electric cars, etc.) and moderates/centrists/independents.

Of course, that "hope" was in the end not based on reality, but more of Obama essentially being a blank slate as far as what his future governing style would be.

In the end, he was more comfortable as a policy wonk/law professor and less comfortable "projecting power" and using the bully pulpit to his advantage. He never was able to bridge the divide between parties like the "good 'ol days" when Reagan and Tip O'Neill worked things out between closed doors. I have a feeling that 20-30 years from now his administration will be looked upon more favorably, than, say, Carter's or George W. Bush's time, but he'll always be a below average president.

The 2009 Nobel Peace prize was a warning we should have seen coming. Obama was all about potential and hope, but it will remain unrealized unless he does something similar to Carter after his 2nd term is up.