Fantasy football advice thread

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 04:05 PM)
I learned a great lesson for newbie players this week. Don't have all matchups with good teams against bad teams. Marshon Lynch and Knowshon moreno got me nothing as RB because the respective teams got so far ahead they were benched by the third quarter.

It's difficult to pick different matchups. I'd like to hear other philosophies on how people pick which players to play not just advice on who to play.

In general, there's probably a bit too much stock put into matchups. Don't overplay matchups. You play your best guys. Bring matchups into play when guys are closely ranked/expectations are relatively the same.

All of this is relative to who else you have, but I don't see any way you have so much depth that you're sitting Lynch, a sure-fire top 10 RB, if not top 5. You can't over think those types of decisions and get too cute.

Sure, Lynch and Moreno may not get much if their team is up big, but they could have been the ones to have 2 tds to get them to that point. You just don't know. I'd rather play my studs and hope for the best even if it's just 3 quarters. You can never expect/assume a blowout situation anyway.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 11:53 AM)
I have bad WRs so I need to take some flyers. Dwayne Bowe, man, I drafted him just before someone wrote that great post about how Alex Smith's checkdowns would make him worthless. They were right f'ing on.

That was ME. Alex Smith takes no risks and doesn't throw the ball down the field.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 07:13 AM)
That's not heavy at RB. Those guys are all question marks this season.

Yeah maybe "heavy" is the wrong term, but he has a lot of RB's compared to me at least.

I took the Tate for Hopkins trade though. Thanks for the advice everyone!

I didn't want to get rid of Jones or Cruz so I was just trying to get people to tell me not to do that haha.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 05:05 PM)
In general, there's probably a bit too much stock put into matchups. Don't overplay matchups. You play your best guys. Bring matchups into play when guys are closely ranked/expectations are relatively the same.

All of this is relative to who else you have, but I don't see any way you have so much depth that you're sitting Lynch, a sure-fire top 10 RB, if not top 5. You can't over think those types of decisions and get too cute.

Sure, Lynch and Moreno may not get much if their team is up big, but they could have been the ones to have 2 tds to get them to that point. You just don't know. I'd rather play my studs and hope for the best even if it's just 3 quarters. You can never expect/assume a blowout situation anyway.

Thanks. Maybe it's the fact that it's only a 10 team league. But my RBs are Lynch, Gore, Moreno, Lacy and Bell. The WR are Johnson, T. Smith, Shorts, Royal and R. White.

There just seems to be enough talent around and trying to come up with a philosophy on who to play is difficult.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Sep 26, 2013 -> 01:53 AM)
I made a trade.

Danny Amendola and Anquan Boldin

for

Roddy White and Larry Fitzgerald

I think I won considering one guy called collusion aha

White and Fitzgerald are the "name" guys but at the moment, Amendola and Boldin are the stats guys. If White gets healthier and Fitz gets some passes, it will be a steal, but right now in the short term, the first two guys will be better.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 26, 2013 -> 12:36 AM)
Check out this trade.....

Ryan Matthews for DeSean Jackson.

Thoughts?

In a vacuum, I'm taking DJax in that one.

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 26, 2013 -> 08:00 AM)
White and Fitzgerald are the "name" guys but at the moment, Amendola and Boldin are the stats guys. If White gets healthier and Fitz gets some passes, it will be a steal, but right now in the short term, the first two guys will be better.

Not really. Amendola is chronically injured, including right now, and Boldin has had two mediocre to poor games since his opening week blow up. Not sure how you can argue the latter two are the better bet when one hasn't played in 2 weeks and is out for at least a couple more and the other is in a really suspect offense right now. White/Fitz is a straight trade rape in that deal.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Sep 26, 2013 -> 06:53 AM)
I made a trade.

Danny Amendola and Anquan Boldin

for

Roddy White and Larry Fitzgerald

I think I won considering one guy called collusion aha

Oh man, I can't believe someone would take that deal. What was that, like their second and third round picks for people probably in 9-10 rounds for you?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 05:05 PM)

This is something I'm with you on 100 percent. Obviously there's some matchups you can't ignore but in general I believe people over think fantasy some times.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Sep 26, 2013 -> 04:19 PM)
Boldin is held really high in my league for whatever reason and I thought I'd sell high on him but didn't expect such a great deal to come up. Amendola is also held high in my league as everyone in the group chat was saying it was fair because he'll come back next week and put up big numbers with Brady. I just think this isn't Amendola's last injury for the year. I do not necessarily like Roddy White and Larry Fitz was who I wanted but I still see value either way.

I am sure all of the Roddy White owners would agree that he should have just sat a couple weeks and let his ankle heal. Until he has a breakout game I am not considering starting him.

Well, meanwhile my trade went through.

Gave up - Ryan Mathews

Received - Roddy White

Relying on my horrible group of receivers of Dwayne Bowe, TY Hilton and Tavon Austin (actually been pretty good in ppr).

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Sep 26, 2013 -> 10:19 AM)
Boldin is held really high in my league for whatever reason and I thought I'd sell high on him but didn't expect such a great deal to come up. Amendola is also held high in my league as everyone in the group chat was saying it was fair because he'll come back next week and put up big numbers with Brady. I just think this isn't Amendola's last injury for the year. I do not necessarily like Roddy White and Larry Fitz was who I wanted but I still see value either way.

I am sure all of the Roddy White owners would agree that he should have just sat a couple weeks and let his ankle heal. Until he has a breakout game I am not considering starting him.

and you are correct to have this reservation about Amendola

A guy in my league is somehow 2-1 despite drafting Michael Turner. He also has Matt Ryan and Aaron Rodgers. Due to Kaepernick's struggles, I've offered him Fred Jackson and Greg Jennings (I wanted to give him Royal, but he said he'd rather have Jennings) for Ryan.

He's really in no position to bargain with me considering Rodgers' bye is this week and Ryan will be more or less useless to him afterwards.

Do you guys think a trade like this will go through?

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 26, 2013 -> 06:18 PM)
A guy in my league is somehow 2-1 despite drafting Michael Turner. He also has Matt Ryan and Aaron Rodgers. Due to Kaepernick's struggles, I've offered him Fred Jackson and Greg Jennings (I wanted to give him Royal, but he said he'd rather have Jennings) for Ryan.

He's really in no position to bargain with me considering Rodgers' bye is this week and Ryan will be more or less useless to him afterwards.

Do you guys think a trade like this will go through?

It shouldn't, that's terrible for the guy giving up Ryan..Jennings is a ghost and Fred Jackson is in a time share at best..

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 07:33 PM)
You play in 3 quarterback leagues?

Nope, just a feeling, I like their big WRs and liked Glennon going into the draft..Plus I had Zach Sudfeld in one league and Isaac Redman/Le'veon Bell in the others. With no one worthy of a pick up it doesn't hurt in sacrifice of Sudfeld/Redman.

I'm a fantasy football hipster.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 07:42 PM)
Nope, just a feeling, I like their big WRs and liked Glennon going into the draft..Plus I had Zach Sudfeld in one league and Isaac Redman/Le'veon Bell in the others. With no one worthy of a pick up it doesn't hurt in sacrifice of Sudfeld/Redman.

I'm a fantasy football hipster.

Bell could be worth hanging onto, certainly more value than Glennon right now. He may start and get a lot of touches this week, depending on your rbs moving forward, could play on bye weeks etc.

Sudfeld? Why was he on your roster after week 1?

Who are your qbs that you need Glennon?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 09:48 PM)
Bell could be worth hanging onto, certainly more value than Glennon right now. He may start and get a lot of touches this week, depending on your rbs moving forward, could play on bye weeks etc.

Sudfeld? Why was he on your roster after week 1?

Who are your qbs that you need Glennon?

Bell could possibly be a lot better than that, he's got a chance to be a good one.