GT 8/23: The Return of Alex & Anthony

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 09:50 PM)
Rowand's one of those guys that I liked when he played on the team, but grew to dislike because of his bulls*** legend. He was a bad outfielder and, yes, obviously roided.

Exactly. But he ran into walls so meatheads loved him and talked him up.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 10:47 PM)
You're such a joke, it's unreal. I'm convinced you're just an 05 bandwagon jumper who knows nothing about baseball.

SHHHHHH don't inform Greg on just how GOOD our rotation can be.

He sees Sale get lit up & has to jump at the opportunity because it's rare.

Everybody knows we won't be contending for at least 10 seasons.....

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 10:54 PM)
OT - but just hearing that Trout is TOP 10 in 19!!! Offensive Categories is absolutely amazing.

This guy has a chance to do so many special things in his career.

Whenever I hear the Harper, Machado, or Trout debate I just kind of laugh.

Trout IMO has so much more potential.

Trout

Machado

Harper

Is how I would rank them.

I agree that I think Trout is far and away the best of that group, and the best player in baseball.

And I also would put Machado ahead of Harper because I love Machado's work at 3B, in addition to his bat. He seems more well rounded than Harper, but all 3 are just flat out studs.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 24, 2013 -> 03:47 AM)
You're such a joke, it's unreal. I'm convinced you're just an 05 bandwagon jumper who knows nothing about baseball.

They are in first place and completely boatracing the Sox. Sox have been botching plays as usual, making baserunning mistakes as usual. What did I say was so wrong. Texas is so much better than the White Sox talent wise it is ridiculous.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 10:57 PM)
I agree that I think Trout is far and away the best of that group, and the best player in baseball.

And I also would put Machado ahead of Harper because I love Machado's work at 3B, in addition to his bat. He seems more well rounded than Harper, but all 3 are just flat out studs.

Yup no question I would not be mad at all with ANY of those guys.

So much young talent in baseball.

Atta boy JORDAN!!!.....Still hitting the ball hard.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 24, 2013 -> 02:58 AM)
They are in first place and completely boatracing the Sox. Sox have been botching plays as usual, making baserunning mistakes as usual. What did I say was so wrong. Texas is so much better than the White Sox talent wise it is ridiculous.

Texas' lineup tonight is mediocre compared to the one they had the last few years. The problem with the Sox lineup is that they just have no power outside of Dunn. I like Avi Garcia, but there is a decrease in power from Rios to him as of now.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 10:58 PM)

ITS 1 FREAKING GAME IN A SERIES!!!!!!

Lmao relax.

We all know the Sox are not very good this season & Texas is.....What's new?

To say the Sox are far from competing is completely assanine.

You know what the Sox will do in the offseason?

With our rotations potential we could be competing next season, but why expect a guy who ONLY comes on here to bash his "Favorite" team to understand that?

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Aug 24, 2013 -> 04:05 AM)
ITS 1 FREAKING GAME IN A SERIES!!!!!!

Lmao relax.

We all know the Sox are not very good this season & Texas is.....What's new?

To say the Sox are far from competing is completely assanine.

You know what the Sox will do in the offseason?

With our rotations potential we could be competing next season, but why expect a guy who ONLY comes on here to bash his "Favorite" team to understand that?

Unfortunately, one of the main reasons the Sox lineup is so bad right now is that our number 4 hitter tonight is one of the least valuable players in baseball this year. It is the same guy that Greg wants to bring back next year.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 09:58 PM)

Its just your whole "I want the sox to win s***" that you've been harping about and then you post this....its just so frustrating to read your posts.

And as Fathom pointed out this lineup isn't even that great. They had to go out and add your favorite player Rios to make it competent.....But it has AJ! he won a world series!! problems don't happen when hes around!!! TWTW!!!.....just brutal

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 09:43 PM)
Of course he panicked.

You said he should let the umpire come out?

Did you see the replay?

The Ump WAS NOT MOVING....In perfect position but just staring at Tank....Kinsler is on the move not stopping so of course Tank is gonna go after the ball again.

JUDGEMENT CALL LIKE HAWK SAID....

& a TERRIBLE one.

The baseball rulebook means NOTHING to me with all the mistakes I see over the course of a season.

Apparently you can't read. Oh well, I tried.

KILL THE UMPS.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 10:07 PM)
Unfortunately, one of the main reasons the Sox lineup is so bad right now is that our number 4 hitter tonight is one of the least valuable players in baseball this year. It is the same guy that Greg wants to bring back next year.

If Frank Thomas can be shown the door PK sure as hell can go. I am tired of PK somehow being a sacred cow. He is a shell of the man and does not fit the direction this team is going.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 09:51 PM)
He didnt think the ball was lodged. It was unseeable to him like it disappeared. He looked and didnt see the ball because where it went under the padding and where it ended up were two different things. Now maybe the ump could see the ball moving under there from his angle and Tank couldnt see it from his. Tank can't make a play on the ball he can't see. For an umpire you should be more observant. Instead of flaunting your authority and saying people should learn the rules.

If Tank can't see the ball, hands go up, walks away, done with the play. When he goes digging, live ball, it's as simple as that.

Again, everyone wants to bash umps. Everyone's an ump, everyone knows the rules. OMG a call hurt the Sox, must be the umps.

I'm saying you need to learn the rules, because, well, you need to learn the rules.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 11:08 PM)
Apparently you can't read. Oh well, I tried.

KILL THE UMPS.

LMAO

Are you getting mad over this?.....Because I don't agree with your "Umpire Knowledge"?

Wow....

Guy says Tank is supposed to wait for the Ump to come out & "inspect" the ball, but the Ump was making no inkling of coming out to "inspect" the ball.

KILL THE UMPS.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 24, 2013 -> 03:09 AM)
If Frank Thomas can be shown the door PK sure as hell can go. I am tired of PK somehow being a sacred cow. He is a shell of the man.

If they'd tell the truth about his injuries, maybe it'd be easier to assess whether he is through or not. Seems to me he still hits the ball hard much of the time like that last at bat to end the game. He can't hit homers anymore, but is it because of an injury?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 10:13 PM)
If they'd tell the truth about his injuries, maybe it'd be easier to assess whether he is through or not. Seems to me he still hits the ball hard much of the time like that last at bat to end the game. He can't hit homers anymore, but is it because of an injury?

Someone else can gamble on his health in 2014. Sox have got shafted last 2 years see ya PK.

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 10:11 PM)
LMAO

Are you getting mad over this?.....Because I don't agree with your "Umpire Knowledge"?

Wow....

Guy says Tank is supposed to wait for the Ump to come out & "inspect" the ball, but the Ump was making no inkling of coming out to "inspect" the ball.

KILL THE UMPS.

You're like Hawk - purposely trying to remain ignorant on things you don't understand. It's great.

Umpire moving towards play, if Tank throws arms up and walks away (which he did not), umpire comes all the way out to inspect and make a ruling. Instead, Tank goes for ball, picks it up and throws it.

No error was made on the umpire's part, but please, continue.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 11:19 PM)
You're like Hawk - purposely trying to remain ignorant on things you don't understand. It's great.

Umpire moving towards play, if Tank throws arms up and walks away (which he did not), umpire comes all the way out to inspect and make a ruling. Instead, Tank goes for ball, picks it up and throws it.

No error was made on the umpire's part, but please, continue.

How can you not comprehend that the Ump was not making an effort to come out?

As soon as that ball got lodged under the padding he should have been making an effort to come out.

Rules....Really?

From a guy who has watched just about as much baseball as you can this season with the ticket rules mean nothing to me with the way umpiring has been this season.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 08:11 PM)
If Tank can't see the ball, hands go up, walks away, done with the play. When he goes digging, live ball, it's as simple as that.

Again, everyone wants to bash umps. Everyone's an ump, everyone knows the rules. OMG a call hurt the Sox, must be the umps.

I'm saying you need to learn the rules, because, well, you need to learn the rules.

1st of all you're not a Major league umpire. Second you don't know the ground rules that apply to every park in ML baseball . You're saying Tank throws his hand up and walks away. Let's the runner go all the way around the bases and then what? The ump says the ball was in play the entire time ? HR ? Or you think if Tank had walked away the ump would 've ruled it a ground rule double? If then he doesn't Tank's standing there looking stupid because he walked away from a live ball ? It's a no win situation for the fielder. Of course he's going to look for the ball because he want's to prevent a run from scoring not let the guy round the bases without doing a damn thing.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 10:23 PM)
Holy s***, I had no idea Paul Konerko currently had a -1.5 WAR this season!!! 2nd worst player in baseball behind Maicer Izturis who has an incredible -2.2 WAR.

But he played on the only chicago championship baseball team in 85 some odd years!!! and he can catch the ball!!! that has to be worth a 2 year deal!!!

QUOTE (Noonskadoodle @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 10:27 PM)
How can you not comprehend that the Ump was not making an effort to come out?

As soon as that ball got lodged under the padding he should have been making an effort to come out.

Rules....Really?

From a guy who has watched just about as much baseball as you can this season with the ticket rules mean nothing to me with the way umpiring has been this season.

Yeah, you're completely lost. It's fine.

Rules mean nothing to you. OK then.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 10:27 PM)
1st of all you're not a Major league umpire. Second you don't know the ground rules that apply to every park in ML baseball . You're saying Tank throws his hand up and walks away. Let's the runner go all the way around the bases and then what? The ump says the ball was in play the entire time ? HR ? Or you think if Tank had walked away the ump would 've ruled it a ground rule double? If then he doesn't Tank's standing there looking stupid because he walked away from a live ball ? It's a no win situation for the fielder. Of course he's going to look for the ball because he want's to prevent a run from scoring not let the guy round the bases without doing a damn thing.

OK, so if we're not MLB umpires we shouldn't talk about it. But hey, Johnny Sox fan knows 100x more about rules than an actual umpire. Got it.

This isn't a ground rule, second of all, it is a rule book rule.

If he throws his arms up and walks away, and the umpire rules it a lodged ball, yes, batter-runner goes to 2nd. It doesn't matter if every guy goes all the way around the bases (and they should, always make umpires put you back), they'll get placed back.

It's on Tank to make a call. If he can't find it, or he thinks it's lodged, he needs to throw his arms up, and walk away. It's not a situation, down the line, where the umpire will just rule it dead without being right on top of it, or without waiting to see how the player reacts - does he go play it (Tank did), or does he throw his arms up and walk away (he did not).

Is it always an easy call for the fielder at that point? No, but he needed to do one or the other. He basically tried to do both. But the bottom line is that he went for the ball and got it. There's no umpire ruling when that happens, it's just a normal live ball.

Edited by IlliniKrush

I found a couple interesting videos here from the archive of "stuck" ground rule doubles.

In this one, the announcers rip the OFers for not getting the ball in sooner after they raised their arms. They are saying the fielder is not an umpire, he can't assume the ump will make the call correctly, so he needs to get the ball back in to play.

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=29124899&c_id=mlb

In this video, the ball goes through a crack in the wall and is IMMEDIATELY ruled dead and a ground rule double. Umpire never runs out to the wall, and the runner is held at 2B by the umpire after Beltran throws his arms up.

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=27173...c_id=vtp_must_c

Another video where the umpire never comes out to check, yet it immediately ruled a double. We see the umpire give a new ball out while the runner is coming in to third, and the 2nd base umpire is still standing next to the base.

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=24629433&c_id=mlb

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 09:53 PM)
Pretty impressive that AJP is bawouldn't ng fifth for the Texas Rangers. Obviously he's not washed up. It's apparent Sox made a big mistake in letting him go. One could make a case that our record would be better if we had a decent catcher who could hit.

If the plan was to compete this year, not signing AJ was f***ing hystericaly awful move. That said he wouldn't make a difference for this year.