Mike Scioscia Possibly Out

Noonskadoodle

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 02:40 PM)
He is a good manager, but there are things about him that would drive a lot of us crazy too. Still, he is one of the few guys I'd be ok with. I don't see Ventura leaving though under any circumstance.

I'm too busy here in SoCal watching the Sox and rarely watch the Angels but one thing that bothers me about Scioscia is most of the time he bats Trout 2nd or leadoff. The guys has 64 extra base hits and rarely bats in the middle of the order. (3rd through 6th only 18 games and all 18 were hitting 3rd.) Mark Trumbo has more RBI than Trout (84-80) and is hitting .240

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 01:11 PM)
I'm too busy here in SoCal watching the Sox and rarely watch the Angels but one thing that bothers me about Scioscia is most of the time he bats Trout 2nd or leadoff. The guys has 64 extra base hits and rarely bats in the middle of the order. (3rd through 6th only 18 games and all 18 were hitting 3rd.) Mark Trumbo has more RBI than Trout (84-80) and is hitting .240

Trout also has a .427 OBP. The earlier you get him up in the order, the more damage he will do and the more at bats he will get. The only other guy on the Angels roster with an OBP above .340 and a near-full-season played is Howie Kendrick. Trumbo is getting those RBI's because he's knocking in Mike Trout.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 10:19 AM)
Trout also has a .427 OBP. The earlier you get him up in the order, the more damage he will do and the more at bats he will get. The only other guy on the Angels roster with an OBP above .340 and a near-full-season played is Howie Kendrick. Trumbo is getting those RBI's because he's knocking in Mike Trout.

Yea I know all that but you want guys on base for Trout too . You can bat him 3rd 4th or 5th and still have Trumbo hitting behind him. Having Trout basically hitting behind the bottom of the order isn't very useful either.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 11:54 AM)
This manager thing is overblown, IMO. I guess you can make an argument for a change of scenery, but I don't think it matters much who that is, so long as it is someone generally capable. I wouldn't throw big bucks at anyone, Scioscia included.

Hawk and Stone were actually talking about this the other night. Hawk admitted that there are fans who could manage a game just as well as Robin.

He said though that managing the personalities is the biggest skill now, however.

I do think that is an important skill, and one that we really don't know how to quantify.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 01:54 PM)
This manager thing is overblown, IMO. I guess you can make an argument for a change of scenery, but I don't think it matters much who that is, so long as it is someone generally capable. I wouldn't throw big bucks at anyone, Scioscia included.

Way overblown. Take Mattingly. The Dodgers were in last place and he almost got fired. If he did get fired and they got hot like they did, he is undoubtedly a fool and his replacement a genius. They keep him around and they turn it around. Did he suddenly get smart? Did he take home a Baseball for Dummies book and memorize it?

Like has been mentioned, baseball is a pretty simple game. Strategy isn't much different from High School to the major leagues. Running a pitching staff and handling different personalities are the big differences. If you can run a pitching staff and your players respect you, there really is no reason to make changes.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 01:58 PM)
Hawk and Stone were actually talking about this the other night. Hawk admitted that there are fans who could manage a game just as well as Robin.

He said though that managing the personalities is the biggest skill now, however.

I do think that is an important skill, and one that we really don't know how to quantify.

Agreed 100%. And I think a lot of it has to do with circumstance -- I think the team could respect and play well for a ton of guys if they can make a good initial impression on one another.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 03:09 PM)
Way overblown. Take Mattingly. The Dodgers were in last place and he almost got fired. If he did get fired and they got hot like they did, he is undoubtedly a fool and his replacement a genius. They keep him around and they turn it around. Did he suddenly get smart? Did he take home a Baseball for Dummies book and memorize it?

Like has been mentioned, baseball is a pretty simple game. Strategy isn't much different from High School to the major leagues. Running a pitching staff and handling different personalities are the big differences. If you can run a pitching staff and your players respect you, there really is no reason to make changes.

My money is on that Mattingly is on steriods now, only reason to explain him all of a sudden being a better manager.

But agreed, manager is overrated to a point. Like its been said, managing those personalities is the hardest I'm sure.

Edited by KG#1

QUOTE (KG#1 @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 02:21 PM)
My money is on that Mattingly is on steriods now, only reason to explain him all of a sudden being a better manager.

But agreed, manager is overrated to a point. Like its been said, managing those personalities is the hardest I'm sure.

This, more than anything else, is why you can't hire some random Joe from the street and stick him at manager. No player is going to respect him.