Pete Rose, Gambling, PEDs

Big Hurtin

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Big Hurtin @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 05:55 PM)
The day that Adam Dunn is in the hall of fame and Pete Rose isn't, is the day the hall of fame lost all it's meaning.

In all seriousness, f*** Pete Rose. Don't bet on baseball and expect people to feel sorry for you. The entire baseball world knows the history of gambling and baseball. To go against that history, well you get what you deserve.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 11:42 PM)
In all seriousness, f*** Pete Rose. Don't bet on baseball and expect people to feel sorry for you. The entire baseball world knows the history of gambling and baseball. To go against that history, well you get what you deserve.

Amen. I mean gawddamn, betting on baseball when you are the fricking manager. He got what he deserved like u said.

The day that Adam Dunn is in the hall of fame and Pete Rose isn't, is the day the hall of fame lost all it's meaning.

Amen. Does anyone really give a f*** about what he did? Did he cheat at the game? Did he take PEDs? Unless something he did unfairly impacted what he did as a player, it shouldn't matter. Period. Pete Rose should be in the HoF, no question.

As far as greg goes, why does anyone even bother trying to reason with him anymore? Lost cause if there ever was one.

Edited by TheBigHurtIsBack

QUOTE (TheBigHurtIsBack @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 11:48 PM)
Amen. Does anyone really give a f*** about what he did? Did he cheat at the game? Did he take PEDs? Unless something he did unfairly impacted what he did as a player, it shouldn't matter. Period. Pete Rose should be in the HoF, no question.

As far as greg goes, why does anyone even bother trying to reason with him anymore? Lost cause if there ever was one.

You can't bet on games you are involved in. That's been the #1 golden rule in baseball since its inception. Pete Rose broke that in a big way. He knew exactly what the f*** he was doing.

Well, he gambled on games that he played and managed in. So, yeah, you could say it was unfairly impacted.

Betting on games you are involved in puts the integrity of the game far more into question than a player taking PEDs.

You can't bet on games you are involved in. That's been the #1 golden rule in baseball since its inception. Pete Rose broke that in a big way. He knew exactly what the f*** he was doing.

I don't give a flying f***. Being in the HoF is about what you did as a PLAYER. Sports stars are not role models by default; that it their decision. Based on what he did as a BASEBALL player, he should be in the BASEBALL HoF. Period.

Betting on games you are involved in puts the integrity of the game far more into question than a player taking PEDs.

Absolute nonsense if EVER I have heard it. Like I said, you are in the baseball HoF because of what you did as a baseball player. PED's can alter your natural ability and help you put up artificial numbers as a player. Obviously gambling does not. Sorry wite, but I can't do anything but laugh at a post this silly.

QUOTE (TheBigHurtIsBack @ Aug 21, 2013 -> 05:16 PM)
I don't give a flying f***. Being in the HoF is about what you did as a PLAYER. Sports stars are not role models by default; that it their decision. Based on what he did as a BASEBALL player, he should be in the BASEBALL HoF. Period.

Absolute nonsense if EVER I have heard it. Like I said, you are in the baseball HoF because of what you did as a baseball player. PED's can alter your natural ability and help you put up artificial numbers as a player. Obviously gambling does not. Sorry wite, but I can't do anything but laugh at a post this silly.

Once again, AS A PLAYER, he gambled on games, affecting outcomes. He broke the first rule in baseball and is paying for it.

QUOTE (TheBigHurtIsBack @ Aug 21, 2013 -> 05:16 PM)

No. That is not correct. Go look up the credentials that go with the HOF.

No. That is not correct. Go look up the credentials that go with the HOF.

I missed the part why I have to agree. One of the best hitters in the history of the game not being in the HoF for something not related to what he did on the field invalidates it. If what you do on the BASEBALL FIELD is not the prime reason for being in the BASEBALL HoF then the whole thing is a joke and simply doesn't matter.

Last I checked, Pete rose gambled on a game he played IN THE FIELD. And also gambled on a game he managed ON A FIELD. So, all of his hits aside, what he did affected what happened ON THE FIELD, thus canceling his chance to get in the hall of fame.

You don't have to agree. That's the way it is. You are wrong, Pete Rose was wrong, the Hall of Fame is right.

Last I checked, Pete rose gambled on a game he played IN THE FIELD. And also gambled on a game he managed ON A FIELD. So, all of his hits aside, what he did affected what happened ON THE FIELD, thus canceling his chance to get in the hall of fame.

You don't have to agree. That's the way it is. You are wrong, Pete Rose was wrong, the Hall of Fame is right.

Once again... it has nothing to do with him PLAYING. Gambling has nothing to do with playing ability. This seems to be difficult for you to grasp for some reason. Sports players are not bound to being role models. I think Barry Bonds is a piece of s*** but had he never come under the suspicion of steroids you'd better believe he'd be deserving of being in the hall of fame. Was what Rose did disgraceful? Absolutely. Did it, at all, illegally alter or affect what he did on the field? No. What you do as a player on the field is first and foremost what is most important, otherwise the HoF is irrelevant. Sorry, but having a different viewpoint does not make me wrong. That's like saying that something simply being a rule or a law automatically makes it right. That's some very naive thinking.

Pete Rose is the all-time hit leader and nothing suggests he went to anything illegal to do so, merely ability. He should be in the HoF. That's my opinion.

Riiiiiiight. He could have injected himself with a dose of GAMBLING to make himself play better. The hell...

I can't do anything but laugh at that post, Jake. Because that makes absolutely no sense. If it wasn't out of context it would be quote worthy.

He gives 100% effort in games where he bet on his team to win, and gives less than 100% effort in games where he bet his team to lose (or didn't bet at all).

As manager, he can make sure he has his best bullpen pitchers rested for games he bet his team to win.

Straight from the horses mouth...

Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played

http://baseballhall.org/hall-famers/rules-election/bbwaa

Christ, that's 3 of the 6 where Rose fails big time, nevermind the fact that he was, you know, banned from f***ing baseball.

Pete Rose is sorry and wants nothing more than to make up his past behavior, but I'm sure there are murderers and rapists and burglars and inside traders who want nothing more than to make up for their past behaviors too. Fact of the matter is, he did what he did, baseball has a very hardline stance about players and managers gambling on baseball in general, especially when it involves your team, and he got banned from the game.

QUOTE (TheBigHurtIsBack @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 08:19 AM)
Once again... it has nothing to do with him PLAYING. Gambling has nothing to do with playing ability. This seems to be difficult for you to grasp for some reason. Sports players are not bound to being role models. I think Barry Bonds is a piece of s*** but had he never come under the suspicion of steroids you'd better believe he'd be deserving of being in the hall of fame. Was what Rose did disgraceful? Absolutely. Did it, at all, illegally alter or affect what he did on the field? No. What you do as a player on the field is first and foremost what is most important, otherwise the HoF is irrelevant. Sorry, but having a different viewpoint does not make me wrong. That's like saying that something simply being a rule or a law automatically makes it right. That's some very naive thinking.

Pete Rose is the all-time hit leader and nothing suggests he went to anything illegal to do so, merely ability. He should be in the HoF. That's my opinion.

Im sure a compulsive gambler wouldnt do anything to affect a bet he made when he has full control of the game. Nothing at all.

We all grasp what you are saying, Pete Rose got a lot of hits therefore he should be in the hall of fame. Unlike you, we also grasp the fact that Rose broke multiple rules that make sure he will never be in the hall of fame.

Shoeless Joe is in the same category.

QUOTE (TheBigHurtIsBack @ Aug 21, 2013 -> 08:43 PM)
I missed the part why I have to agree. One of the best hitters in the history of the game not being in the HoF for something not related to what he did on the field invalidates it. If what you do on the BASEBALL FIELD is not the prime reason for being in the BASEBALL HoF then the whole thing is a joke and simply doesn't matter.

It isn't an agree or disagree thing.

In 1945, as the Rules were altered again in time for elections beginning in 1946, the Hall of Fame’s criteria for election became even more defined. “They shall be chosen on the basis of playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, their contributions to the team on which they played and to baseball in general.”

That would be three strikes and you are out. The rules for betting on baseball are ultra-clear. Even PEDs isn't as clear as betting on baseball.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 22, 2013 -> 09:40 AM)
Straight from the horses mouth...

http://baseballhall.org/hall-famers/rules-election/bbwaa

Christ, that's 3 of the 6 where Rose fails big time, nevermind the fact that he was, you know, banned from f***ing baseball.

Pete Rose is sorry and wants nothing more than to make up his past behavior, but I'm sure there are murderers and rapists and burglars and inside traders who want nothing more than to make up for their past behaviors too. Fact of the matter is, he did what he did, baseball has a very hardline stance about players and managers gambling on baseball in general, especially when it involves your team, and he got banned from the game.

When did they remove Ty Cobb from the HOF?