Pete Rose, Gambling, PEDs

Big Hurtin

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 27, 2013 -> 01:15 PM)
Geez. Ballplayers are sick if this is true. Some apparently will do anything to get the edge. I know the season is long, really long, and they get tired but just play the game the best you can drug-free. My gawd.

Then you must think college students are sick too because there are plenty of them that will fake ADHD to get an adderall prescription so that they can study all night.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 27, 2013 -> 11:28 AM)
Then you must think college students are sick too because there are plenty of them that will fake ADHD to get an adderall prescription so that they can study all night.

Half the people on adderall and other ADHD meds don't need them.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 08:13 PM)
I may be getting technical, but the prescriptions like Adderall and Vyvanse are in fact amphetamines or "amphetamine salts."

Ah, right, there's two major classes of ADHD drugs. One are the adderall-type amphetamines, the other are the Ritalin-type methylphenidates.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 26, 2013 -> 06:50 PM)
It's not for the stimulant, it's for the increased focus component that works with ADHD. If you have ADHD the drugs decrease the hyperactivity and allow the student to focus. The problem is with people you don't truly have the ADHD it can cause increased hyperactivity (similar to the stimulant) however, it cause many to lose focus and just be hyper. So many try but many also stop because it doesn't help.

Well, it also definitely functions as a powerful stimulant regardless of whether or not it helps you concentrate.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 27, 2013 -> 01:38 PM)
Nah, I have ADD so I'm up on this stuff. Which also explains why I'm posting about it on Soxtalk at 1:38PM on a weekday.

I thought posting at 1:38PM just meant that you have a desk job you don't like... oh wait is that just... uh nevermind.

Geez. Ballplayers are sick if this is true. Some apparently will do anything to get the edge. I know the season is long, really long, and they get tired but just play the game the best you can drug-free. My gawd.

What about pain killers?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 27, 2013 -> 01:37 PM)
Well, it also definitely functions as a powerful stimulant regardless of whether or not it helps you concentrate.

Not for the true ADHD. For them it acts as a calming agent. This is why it's prescribed. For the people faking it, it does add a stimulant effect but can "overdo" it to the point of loos of focus.

Drug use to beat fatigue has been part of baseball since the 60s and 70s, if not earlier. It's not some new phenomenon.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 27, 2013 -> 02:21 PM)
Drug use to beat fatigue has been part of baseball since the 60s and 70s, if not earlier. It's not some new phenomenon.

Drug use to beat fatigue has been around for a hell of a lot longer than that. Just because caffeine is in f'ing everything and is generally harmless doesn't make it any less of a drug.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Aug 27, 2013 -> 02:18 PM)
Not for the true ADHD. For them it acts as a calming agent. This is why it's prescribed. For the people faking it, it does add a stimulant effect but can "overdo" it to the point of loos of focus.

It increases concentration (it changes the way your brain goes into and out of "concentration mode"; the way your brain acts when you're focused is different from when you're not, and ADHD people have a higher threshold for activating that functionality) but it also absolutely functions as a stimulant, at least in adults who are heavily on the "AD" side and not the "HD" side.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 27, 2013 -> 02:34 PM)
It increases concentration (it changes the way your brain goes into and out of "concentration mode"; the way your brain acts when you're focused is different from when you're not, and ADHD people have a higher threshold for activating that functionality) but it also absolutely functions as a stimulant, at least in adults who are heavily on the "AD" side and not the "HD" side.

This is why you need to choose the client carefully. An AD only or ADHD. The true ADHD is the student who cannot sit still and is disrupting everything. What sense would it make to give this person a stimulant?. Its because thiese certain drugs act as a calming effect for this population. Its also why it increases the hyperactivity for those who dont truly have it. This is where it can be a stimulant and can help or hurt a players performance.

It is getting much harder to fake an ADHD diagnosis FWIW. Primary care physicians prescribing these things are pretty much the ones making those of us with an actual condition look bad. To get accommodations in college or things like this, you have to take very extensive tests and those would be very difficult to fake. There are algorithms in some of the computerized tests that are designed to detect intentional errors and the rest of the testing, even aptitude testing, is done with a psychologist face-to-face. They can smell bulls***.

Also, FWIW, don't jump to the conclusion that X person has a bogus diagnosis. They may not seem that bad because...they are being treated effectively. The untreated ADHD sufferer (there are three types BTW: inattentiveness, hyperactivity, and combined) may not look like someone with an illness, but rather a person that is lazy, uninterested, or just not that smart. As you age, the symptoms change in the way they are manifested. For instance, hyperactivity becomes less obvious and turn into feelings of restlessness. People may get good grades in school but they have to expend much more mental energy (that does not necessarily mean time since these folks will usually have trouble spending a lot of time on anything).

I say the above because people with ADHD are often used to being criticized and have low self-esteem due to the symptoms of the disorder. It is very difficult for them to not place blame on themselves for their shortcomings when in many cases it is out of their control. Having people constantly question the legitimacy of their problem only makes them feel worse.

A PSA from your friendly neighborhood Adult ADHD poster

I'm happy to answer more questions in a thread that isn't about Adam Dunn

Edited by Jake