And that's a White Sox Winner !

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Sox take the rubber match of the series with Houston . Chris Sale threw 8 innings giving up 4 hits ,1 run ,K'ing 12 ,and walking 2.

Avisail Garcia went 3 for 4 including his 1st HR as a White Sox, a 3 run shot to CF off of former Sox farmhand Lucas Harrell.

Sox win their 5th series in a row.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 04:06 AM)
Garcia is hitting .352 in 19 games with the Sox

That is awesome. Also, time just won't slow down. I can't believe he's already played in 19 games as a Sox player.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 04:22 AM)
Funny enough, he actually has a negative WAR this season, because defensive metric hate him. I'm guess before the week is over he will be back to 0.0 though.

Not to belittle the advanced stat people, but how do you explain your great stat, WAR, when it is obvious that Avi is a contributing greatly, looks great and has a negative WAR. Give me batting average, on base percentage, HRs and RBIs and SBs as stats and I'm happy.

Leury Garcia lead off today went 0-2 but had 2 walks scored both times. One was on a steal and got to third on the throw then sprinted home on a shallow fly ball with a great slide and slap of the plate.

He also hit a sac fly for an RBI.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 28, 2013 -> 10:06 PM)
Garcia is hitting .352 in 19 games with the Sox

I just read he was actually batting an even more impressive .410 in the 19 games.

EDIT-

Garcia smashed his three-run homer to center field off Lucas Harrell in the seventh inning, extending the White Sox advantage to 5-1. After his 3-for-4 effort on Wednesday, the 22-year-old outfielder is now hitting an impressive .410 (25-for-61) with nine RBI in his first 19 games with the White Sox

Ha, way to go yahoo...He's 25 for 71 not 61.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 28, 2013 -> 10:04 PM)
Leury Garcia lead off today went 0-2 but had 2 walks scored both times. One was on a steal and got to third on the throw then sprinted home on a shallow fly ball with a great slide and slap of the plate.

I like Little Leury.

I've been in that corner that has wanted the Sox to lose but it's been great seeing contributions from the young guys and tonight Sale pitching so well after that last miserable outing. Good to see him get his 10th W too in what has been such a goofy season.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 28, 2013 -> 10:50 PM)
Not to belittle the advanced stat people, but how do you explain your great stat, WAR, when it is obvious that Avi is a contributing greatly, looks great and has a negative WAR. Give me batting average, on base percentage, HRs and RBIs and SBs as stats and I'm happy.

Because it includes his time with the Tigers this year, where he was horrible for more time than he's even been on our team. His WAR since he's been with the White Sox is positive. Just once, please, lift a f***ing finger to have some clue what you're talking about before you dismiss an entire school of thought. Just one of these times look at some piece of information before forming your opinion.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 12:18 AM)
Because it includes his time with the Tigers this year, where he was horrible for more time than he's even been on our team. His WAR since he's been with the White Sox is positive. Just once, please, lift a f***ing finger to have some clue what you're talking about before you dismiss an entire school of thought. Just one of these times look at some piece of information before forming your opinion.

Unfortunately I can't cite fWAR, because they dont show team splits if a player was traded midseason, so I have to use bWAR for that, and according to bWAR he is actually a -0.1 with the Sox coming in to tonight's game. Its possible that will swing to a 0.0 after tonights big game, but like I said, he is losing a lot of value because of how much these metrics hate his defense. I mean, obviously its been a very small sample size, but they have him as probably the worst CF in baseball during his short time out there. Something like a -55 IIRC.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 28, 2013 -> 09:05 PM)
I just read he was actually batting an even more impressive .410 in the 19 games.

EDIT-

Ha, way to go yahoo...He's 25 for 71 not 61.

So its back to .352 but in those 19 games he has gone hitless just 3 times and 2 of those 3 he was only 0-1. He might be sitting on a 15 game hitting streak if it wasn't for going 0-1 in the game he was removed from after hitting his head on the fence.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 03:22 AM)
Funny enough, he actually has a negative WAR this season, because defensive metric hate him. I'm guess before the week is over he will be back to 0.0 though.
There was a major reworking of how DWAR was calculated a year or so ago. The same was done with pitching WAR, not once but twice. It has resulted in a shuffling and reshuffling of all time rankings. It reminds me of Winston Smith and the Ministry of Truth, this rewrite of baseball history.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 28, 2013 -> 11:27 PM)
Unfortunately I can't cite fWAR, because they dont show team splits if a player was traded midseason, so I have to use bWAR for that, and according to bWAR he is actually a -0.1 with the Sox coming in to tonight's game. Its possible that will swing to a 0.0 after tonights big game, but like I said, he is losing a lot of value because of how much these metrics hate his defense. I mean, obviously its been a very small sample size, but they have him as probably the worst CF in baseball during his short time out there. Something like a -55 IIRC.

Sure they do, you just have to click "Partial Seasons." He was at -0.3 with the Tigers and 0.3 with the White Sox.

Avisail has been good, though you'd like to see him cut his strikeouts below 20%. I think that is just something that will happen with time.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 12:10 AM)
Garcia's 1st White Sox HR comes on the 23rd anniversary of the Big Hurt's 1st HR as a White Sox.

Avisail was not alive when Frank did that.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 28, 2013 -> 11:27 PM)

They do show the splits, just click the thing that says "partial seasons" at the top of the table.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Aug 29, 2013 -> 11:16 AM)
I really like what I have seen from Leury Garcia thus far. If we put together a contender soon he can really be a great bench piece that we have severely lacked in the recent past. I hope they have an emphasis of teaching him how to steal from here to OD 2014. He was disruptive yesterday. That was one of the best 0-2 games I have seen in a while. I'm glad that, considering everyone was taken aback by his OBP/plate discipline (and rightfully so), he worked two walks yesterday. Especially with the great AB in the 1st. Maybe it was a matter of embracing the leadoff spot but either way that was great. He has also made good contact the last two nights a couple times and hit it right at someone.

Give me a cheap UTIL player who can play plus D at 2B-3B-SS-CF (I am not sure if he is plus in CF) with his speed and any added offense is a kicker.

BB% of 5.9% in his minor league career, 6.25% at AAA, 5.6% between AA and AAA; it can get better, but any of them put him right around 35 walks over 600 PAs, which, while not great, is OK. I think the biggest fear is a K% of 25% at AAA and 20.2% overall in the minors. You can strike out that much if you hit 20 homers a year. You can't do that if you're going to hit 2 homers a year.