SS: Stephen Drew

3B: Will Middlebrooks

SP: Ryan Dempster

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 10:39 PM)
I just get tired of every thread with the same horrible ideas. It's in my forever lasting quest to improve PHT, which I've indisputably done this year with my hot topics and total crushing of the catch-all thread. I think I'm going to run for mod.

So you really don't think there's a chance the Sox trade Santiago to try and get a MLB-ready corner infielder or catcher? Given the depth of the starting pitching staff, that would seem like one of the most efficient ways of improving the talent on the roster. You know I like Santiago as much as you do, but it's likely his value will never be higher. If the Sox truly don't believe he has what it takes to be a quality starter, then it could be time to try and see what you can get for him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 09:53 PM)
So you really don't think there's a chance the Sox trade Santiago to try and get a MLB-ready corner infielder or catcher? Given the depth of the starting pitching staff, that would seem like one of the most efficient ways of improving the talent on the roster. You know I like Santiago as much as you do, but it's likely his value will never be higher. If the Sox truly don't believe he has what it takes to be a quality starter, then it could be time to try and see what you can get for him.

I think if you trade someone, you trade Q of the two then. You could and should at least get equal value (that being very high) for him. With Santiago you are potentially selling low on him. I say it's impossible to value him right now due to the Sox mishandling of his career thus far.

But no, I don't think you trade either. Given the death of Gavin Floyd, the uncertainty of John Danks, rookies who may not pan out, and the trading of Jake Peavy, our pitching depth gets GROSSLY overstated on this board. Yes, our pitching is a strength as we speak, but it's only that because Q and Hector are there. Take one of them out and all the sudden you have question marks. You can't just take out 3 decent to great major league starters in a year's time and still claim to have depth. It will catch up eventually. There are other ways to improve the offense, and we have the resources to do so. That is the path we should take.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 04:53 PM)

I would be shocked if one of the young starters isn't traded, especially if the offense stays at the level it has been at for the last few weeks.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 06:08 PM)
I think if you trade someone, you trade Q of the two then. You could and should at least get equal value (that being very high) for him. With Santiago you are potentially selling low on him. I say it's impossible to value him right now due to the Sox mishandling of his career thus far.

But no, I don't think you trade either. Given the death of Gavin Floyd, the uncertainty of John Danks, rookies who may not pan out, and the trading of Jake Peavy, our pitching depth gets GROSSLY overstated on this board. Yes, our pitching is a strength as we speak, but it's only that because Q and Hector are there. Take one of them out and all the sudden you have question marks. You can't just take out 3 decent to great major league starters in a year's time and still claim to have depth. It will catch up eventually. There are other ways to improve the offense, and we have the resources to do so. That is the path we should take.

The problem with this pitching staff is we're going to have to "sell low" on someone. I put that in quotes in order to include one other option in the same phrase; sticking at guy at AAA/in the bullpen who could be in the rotation.

You're 100% right that having 6 starters would be a great thing particularly to have backup for those guys, but the counterpoint is...keeping one of the 6 as a backup reduces the value the team could be getting out of him for next year.

It might well be the right move to do if the right deal becomes available at other positions, but "wasting a year of Rienzo/Johnson in the bullpen" is selling low/not getting full value out of a guy in exactly the same way as "not getting quite a good enough deal for Santiago" is selling low/not getting full value out of a guy.

I didn't see the thread so I have no idea whats going on right now, but if they could trade Q or Santiago for an impact MLB bat I'd do that all day. If an injury occurred I'd have no problem with them sending out Leesman or perhaps even Beck or Bassit further down the road.

The payoff of having an impact bat is higher than having a guy like Rienzo or EJ in the pen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 05:21 PM)
The problem with this pitching staff is we're going to have to "sell low" on someone. I put that in quotes in order to include one other option in the same phrase; sticking at guy at AAA/in the bullpen who could be in the rotation.

You're 100% right that having 6 starters would be a great thing particularly to have backup for those guys, but the counterpoint is...keeping one of the 6 as a backup reduces the value the team could be getting out of him for next year.

It might well be the right move to do if the right deal becomes available at other positions, but "wasting a year of Rienzo/Johnson in the bullpen" is selling low/not getting full value out of a guy in exactly the same way as "not getting quite a good enough deal for Santiago" is selling low/not getting full value out of a guy.

Interesting. I suppose one could argue that Rienzo (with his nice transition thus far) and Johnson (with his 1.00 WHIP and other telling stats) have zero left to prove at AAA.

If I understand you correctly then it is impossible to get maximum value out of Sale, Danks, Q, Santiago, Rienzo and Johnson next year. The only way to get the 6th man to contribute is to turn him into a position player via trade.

Let's assume we aren't trading Sale. Nobody is giving a MLB-ready player for Danks or Rienzo. But GMs will pay dearly for a Q or Santiago as we've all been advocating for a while. Johnson is a wildcard. I wonder what the FO thinks of him. What is his value in a trade this offseason?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 31, 2013 -> 12:18 AM)
Steve Stone on Sportstalk Live:

The White Sox will probably be in the market for a CF who understands the game a little better than Alejandro De Aza.

yeah, it's quite obvious that Stone and Hawk despise De Aza right now. It will be interesting if they move him to LF or if they trade him.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 05:24 PM)
The dreaded leadoff walks did not prove to be so dreaded.

I truly hope that piece of caca at SS is playing his last games in a white Sox uniform. Dempster can't find home plate with radar and dumbass swings at the first pitch into a DP. However it doesn't surprise me. Ramerez swings at the first pitch 69% of the time, which explains a lot.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 06:36 PM)
It's good to be reminded that I really can't stand the boston red sox. Where's that one guy who used to post around here who said he was a white sox fan but was really more of a red sox fan?

Red and white