8/30 Game thread: White Sox vs Red Sox

fathom

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 31, 2013 -> 01:23 AM)
Is Q distancing himself as a better prospect than Hector?

Neither of them are prospects. They're both legitimate AL starters.

But yeah, Q is better. Quintana is a #2, while Hector is more of a #3.

For reference: According to Fan Graphs, Quintana has been the 20th most valuable pitcher in baseball. Hector is the 67th, but that is in large part hurt due to the fact that he didn't start at the beginning of the year.

If he had started the entire year, Hector would likely be around where Samardzija is at at 37.

Edited by Quinarvy

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 31, 2013 -> 02:47 AM)
Neither of them are prospects. They're both legitimate AL starters.

But yeah, Q is better. Quintana is a #2, while Hector is more of a #3.

For reference: According to Fan Graphs, Quintana has been the 20th most valuable pitcher in baseball. Hector is the 67th, but that is in large part hurt due to the fact that he didn't start at the beginning of the year.

If he had started the entire year, Hector would likely be around where Samardzija is at at 37.

Hector has got to learn to attack the zone more effectively if he wants to make it as a starter. Teams that are willing to work counts are just going to eat him for lunch and have him done by the 5th.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 31, 2013 -> 09:14 AM)
Hector has got to learn to attack the zone more effectively if he wants to make it as a starter. Teams that are willing to work counts are just going to eat him for lunch and have him done by the 5th.

I agree, I have way more faith in Q than Hector right now. I know Hector's stuff is great, but it takes more than stuff to become a consistent starting pitcher.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 31, 2013 -> 11:12 AM)
I agree, I have way more faith in Q than Hector right now. I know Hector's stuff is great, but it takes more than stuff to become a consistent starting pitcher.

Hector's in his first year as a major league starter, Quintana is in his second.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 31, 2013 -> 10:12 AM)

There is a mental approach too. Its either that or he is way to inconsistent in his delivery.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 31, 2013 -> 10:21 AM)
Hector's in his first year as a major league starter, Quintana is in his second.

I agree, and I am not giving up on Hector. Just saying that he still has a lot to learn to be a starter, not everyone figures it out.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 31, 2013 -> 11:43 AM)
There is a mental approach too. Its either that or he is way to inconsistent in his delivery.

An inconsistent delivery might be exactly the kind of thing a guy would wind up with if you've screwed with him bouncing him back and forth between the bullpen and the rotation for 2 years.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 31, 2013 -> 10:47 AM)
An inconsistent delivery might be exactly the kind of thing a guy would wind up with if you've screwed with him bouncing him back and forth between the bullpen and the rotation for 2 years.

Naming him closer is still one of the most puzzling personnel decisions the Sox have made in recent years.