Flowers to have shoulder surgery

GGajewski18

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 2, 2013 -> 11:19 AM)
Well that explains the two catchers getting called up. I wonder how long it has been bothering him?

Originally tweaked a year ago, and it's slowly gotten worse. From what I understand, it's been bothering him most of the season.

Just had the exact same surgery on my right shoulder. I had a subacromial decompression and all the doctor needed to do was shave the bone and clean up the fraying. If there is no tear, he will be fine in no time. However, if there is a significant tear and he needs sutures put in place, he will be out the longer-range.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 2, 2013 -> 10:35 PM)
How come you lol'ed. Flowers hasn't exactly looked very good this year. Though he has popped a few homers.

i'm not sure if i should give you credit for trolling for this many years

or pity the fact that you still enjoy doing it, and you haven't realized a much more serious underlying problem

i guess if we just ignore our problems they go away on their own.

QUOTE (glangon @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 05:53 AM)
I wonder if Flowers injury and rehab opens the door for us going after Brian McCann?

They won't be deciding that based on Flowers most likely. They'll be deciding that based on whether they think they actually have something in Phegley or not...and in part based on what else they do this offseason. Flowers they've already cast aside/turned into a backup, and that's probably not going to change next year no matter what the situation was.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 08:22 AM)
That is the whole problem here. If he has been battling this for a year now, how do we know how good Flowers is?

Well it depends on whether the injury had much of an impact to his hitting or if the injury was more of an injury that effected him more in the field.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 05:28 PM)
Except for the clear need for a backup catcher.

We will certainly get a lefty veteran at worst. That's the most certain move of the offseason.

Flowers has no place anymore, unless he wants to toil in the minors and hope for an injury. He won't be here opening day.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 12:28 PM)
Except for the clear need for a backup catcher.

If the Sox sign McCann, it's possible they may think Phegley is a better backup catcher option (if nothing else he's farther from arbitration than Flowers). If the Sox don't sign McCann, then Flowers isn't an ideal backup for Phegley because they're both righties and it would be nice to allow Phegley's offday to coincide with say, Scherzer being on the mound.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 12:42 PM)
We will certainly get a lefty veteran at worst. That's the most certain move of the offseason.

Flowers has no place anymore, unless he wants to toil in the minors and hope for an injury. He won't be here opening day.

If the Sox are as far away from being contenders as Soxtalk thinks they are, there is no reason to sign another catcher.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 06:45 PM)
If the Sox are as far away from being contenders as Soxtalk thinks they are, there is no reason to sign another catcher.

For a backup job? Of course there is. Veteran presence and another perspective for Phegley. And if we do try to compete a lefty simy makes way more sense.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 12:47 PM)
For a backup job? Of course there is. Veteran presence and another perspective for Phegley. And if we do try to compete a lefty simy makes way more sense.

Yeah, even if McCann is out of the equation, Saltamachia seems like a possible platoon partner for Phegley.

I was all for Flowers being given the starting job this year, but I don't think he should be considered option A for the other catcher's spot. If an upgrade can't be acquired, then I'm ok with Flowers starting the year as the backup. But I really think is a spot Hahn will try to improve.

Frankly, I don't care if Flowers is back or not, but the idea of just cutting him does not make a lot of sense. If nothing else, trading him for another busted prospect makes a lot more sense. 4 years ago, he was the #60 prospect in all of baseball. He's a talented player. And, on top of that, Phegley has been a worse hitter than Flowers.