Flowers to have shoulder surgery

GGajewski18

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 04:17 PM)
I find it a little odd that this went on for a year. But I suppose they didn't have a Plan B behind him.

And I tend to agree, but we'll see how he can develop defensively.

Plus I'm sure they thought he could rehab it and play through it, and that obviously was not the case.

QUOTE (Real @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 10:40 AM)
i'm not sure if i should give you credit for trolling for this many years

or pity the fact that you still enjoy doing it, and you haven't realized a much more serious underlying problem

i guess if we just ignore our problems they go away on their own.

I'm still trying to figure out why the lol on Flowers not being a Sox next year. Just cause he was injured? He seems like an average at best player for me. I could see him not being back. Sox have to acquire a catcher who can hit a bit.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 04:16 PM)
Do they believe it enough to run him out there again next year after his struggles this year when there's an all-star catcher sitting on the free agent market?

If he's the #9 hitter and we picked up someone like Abreu with that money, for sure.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 04:19 PM)
I'm still trying to figure out why the lol on Flowers not being a Sox next year. Just cause he was injured? He seems like an average at best player for me. I could see him not being back. Sox have to acquire a catcher who can hit a bit.

I agree with you. I think if anything he's in AAA.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 05:29 PM)
If he's the #9 hitter and we picked up someone like Abreu with that money, for sure.

That's very interesting, because they might well have the money to sign both Abreu and McCann if they wanted. That's one of the behind the scenes things I can't know right now, how much confidence they have in him to be a decent contributor if they find someone else to fill the 1b void.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 04:30 PM)
That's very interesting, because they might well have the money to sign both Abreu and McCann if they wanted. That's one of the behind the scenes things I can't know right now, how much confidence they have in him to be a decent contributor if they find someone else to fill the 1b void.

If the White Sox think the same of 2014 as Soxtalk does, there is zero reason to sign Brian McCann. Abreu at least is a long term piece, as long as they don't renounce arb rights to sign him like Oakland did with Cespedes.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 05:34 PM)
If the White Sox think the same of 2014 as Soxtalk does, there is zero reason to sign Brian McCann. Abreu at least is a long term piece, as long as they don't renounce arb rights to sign him like Oakland did with Cespedes.

I have no problem renouncing arb-rights for the guy if we're signing him for 5-6 years. For the kind of money he'll take to sign, I don't want him in the minor leagues, he better be ready to be the opening day 1b.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 04:37 PM)
I have no problem renouncing arb-rights for the guy if we're signing him for 5-6 years. For the kind of money he'll take to sign, I don't want him in the minor leagues, he better be ready to be the opening day 1b.

if he signs a six year pro deal, it doesn't matter. If he signs for five or less, it matters.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 04:16 PM)
Do they believe it enough to run him out there again next year after his struggles this year when there's an all-star catcher sitting on the free agent market?

McCann seems like a huge long shot to me. He's by far the prize of an awful catching market and will have plenty of suitors. I'd wager he will be snapped up quick by Boston and he's a perfect fit there.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 06:05 PM)
McCann seems like a huge long shot to me. He's by far the prize of an awful catching market and will have plenty of suitors. I'd wager he will be snapped up quick by Boston and he's a perfect fit there.

If I understand the new system, that would cost Boston a first round pick and barring a winning streak would cost us a 2nd round pick, so it's also possible we could have a shot at that.

If the team doesn't have confidence in Phegley, snapping up McCann and another 1b whether it's Abreu or someone else could really turn this team around rapidly, if they can get their heads on straight or replace the manager with someone who can.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 05:13 PM)
If I understand the new system, that would cost Boston a first round pick and barring a winning streak would cost us a 2nd round pick, so it's also possible we could have a shot at that.

If the team doesn't have confidence in Phegley, snapping up McCann and another 1b whether it's Abreu or someone else could really turn this team around rapidly, if they can get their heads on straight or replace the manager with someone who can.

You have it correct in that Boston would forfeit it's first round pick for signing McCann considering he will receive a qualifying offer from Atlanta. Boston will almost assuredly receive a compensatory pick if/when Ellsbury leaves as a free agent. Said pick is tacked on at the end of the first round though.

I don't disagree that McCann and Abreu could be some nice pieces for a team that desperately needs some legitimate hitters. I'm just not optimistic that McCann ends up in Chicago even if Hahn wants him.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Sep 3, 2013 -> 06:22 PM)
I'm just not optimistic that McCann ends up in Chicago even if Hahn wants him.

I'm fine with this but it's under the assumption they think Phegley is a major league hitter.

If they don't think he is, then catcher is just as big of a hole as 1b for this team, and if they want to be somewhere other than the cellar next year they'll need to fill both.

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox-talk/v...severity-injury

NEW YORK -- White Sox manager Robin Ventura said Wednesday he didn’t get the sense Tyler Flowers needed season-ending surgery until recently.

The White Sox catcher is set to have an exploratory surgery on his right shoulder on Thursday, a little more than a year after he initially tweaked it. Flowers -- who is out three to six months -- received three different opinions on his shoulder after the All-Star break.

But Flowers said he had experienced “extreme” pain as far back as last offseason when he began to prepare for spring training. Ventura didn’t know that Flowers, who was named the starter last offseason and was given the task of replacing A.J. Pierzynski, felt the level of the pain he did.

“There are always things that guys go in and when you go in the training room and when you talk to Herm, you try to do something about it,” Ventura said. “It was never at a point where you were thinking he was going to have to have surgery the next day. Again, it’s the player as far as communication.”

Flowers said he played through the pain because of his opportunity. He also said he has “fraying” in his shoulder and doctors have yet to determine whether or not he has damage to his labrum. If the labrum does need to be operated on Flowers could miss up to six months.

“The starting job was definitely a driving force to exhaust every option I could,” Flowers said by phone. “I’ve waited a long time for this opportunity and did everything to avoid missing out. … It’s something that has to be done. I could continue, but couldn’t perform at the level required by myself, my team or my teammates.”

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 5, 2013 -> 01:30 PM)

I'm all for players having the desire to get out there even when hurting... but if he's in "extreme pain" for an extended period, that goes past toughness and into stupidity, and it can hurt the team.

Matt Kemp had shoulder surgery over the offseason to repair a torn labrum and frayed rotator cuff. Over his previous 61 games last year, Kemp put up .266/.321/.440/.760. Over his first 45 games of last season, that was a .358/.433/.685/1.118 line. This year in 62 games, he's at .263/.319/.382/.700.

Worth considering the effect that this had on Flowers throughout the course of the season. It'll likely slow the shoulder a bit, limit movements, decrease power, and cause general discomfort. And consider that Phegley is at .211/.219/.322/.542 in 159 plate appearances.

If the Sox go out and get a catcher next year, that's fine, but if not, Phegley and Flowers better be on equal footing for the full time job.