How comfortable are you rooting for the draft pick?

Princess Dye

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said this a few times in the other thread, but I guess I will say it again.

Do we all realize that the White Sox are going to do what they are going to do, regardless of what anyone here thinks?

If we can establish that, I think it makes it even more clear how silly it is to insult another fan for cheering for whatever they want to cheer for. Yes, I understand this is a message board, and if we're not here to talk about things beyond our control, then we may as well not post about anything...but this has gotten ridiculous.

Folks that still want us to win: The fans cheering for losses can't actually make the Sox lose, no matter what they post here!

Folks that want us to win only if the catalysts of said wins are the future core of the ballclub: Who knows what effects the remaining few weeks of the season will have on anyone moving forward?

Folks that want us to lose every game remaining: The fans still cheering for us to win can't actually make the Sox win, no matter what they post here!

Everyone remain civil...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 11:33 AM)
I said this a few times in the other thread, but I guess I will say it again.

Do we all realize that the White Sox are going to do what they are going to do, regardless of what anyone here thinks?

If we can establish that, I think it makes it even more clear how silly it is to insult another fan for cheering for whatever they want to cheer for. Yes, I understand this is a message board, and if we're not here to talk about things beyond our control, then we may as well not post about anything...but this has gotten ridiculous.

Folks that still want us to win: The fans cheering for losses can't actually make the Sox lose, no matter what they post here!

Folks that want us to win only if the catalysts of said wins are the future core of the ballclub: Who knows what effects the remaining few weeks of the season will have on anyone moving forward?

Folks that want us to lose every game remaining: The fans still cheering for us to win can't actually make the Sox win, no matter what they post here!

Everyone remain civil...

Yes, thank you. I'm in the boat that a lot are in, I'd like the players that we are keeping to perform well (Avi, Beckham, Sale, Quintana, etc) . . . Then, bring in Troncoso or Axelrod and blow the game. Get the highest draft pick possible, but not hurt the future talent.

But as you said, me saying that, doesn't control Ventura's brain to put Axelrod in every game . . . If it happens, cool. If not, cool.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 09:02 AM)
For a stupid reason. If people in the win now at all costs thread didn't like that thread why did they post in it? This is being treated like it's f***ing grade school and people can't defend themselves. I am pretty sure most of us are all adults here. And I am angry because I never got to respond to Dick Allen's idiotic comparison to the Bears.

Why is it idiotic? In fact, there is more reason to swear at Cutler if he throws a game winning TD pass now than Conor Gillaspie hitting a homer to give the Sox the lead. The Bears aren't going to win the SB, everyone knows it, and what some scouts say is the greatest defensive prospect ever is available at #1. Why shouldn't they just lose out and grab him? The people cussing when the Sox win now don't have a clue who the Sox will draft, therefore have no idea the difference between #2 or #3 than #5 or #6.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 11:52 AM)
Why is it idiotic? In fact, there is more reason to swear at Cutler if he throws a game winning TD pass now than Conor Gillaspie hitting a homer to give the Sox the lead. The Bears aren't going to win the SB, everyone knows it, and what some scouts say is the greatest defensive prospect ever is available at #1. Why shouldn't they just lose out and grab him? The people cussing when the Sox win now don't have a clue who the Sox will draft, therefore have no idea the difference between #2 or #3 than #5 or #6.

Give it up. You guys aren't going to agree. There's no point arguing this anymore

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 11:54 AM)
Give it up. You guys aren't going to agree. There's no point arguing this anymore

All I am saying is it is the same concept. That, and if a lot here got their wish and Ventura turned wins into losses by purposely bringing in Axelrod or Troncoso or some other gas can to screw it up, he would lose the team. The players might not be any good, but they are professionals. Trying to lose and/or not trying to win,doesn't go over very well.

Edited by Dick Allen

The Bears thing makes no sense to me at all. It's like week one, right? The Bears have a shot at contending. Making the playoffs is easier in football. They have a real chance at making the playoffs and therefore some chance of winning it all.

The White Sox are 57-85 on September 9th, 24.5 GB of the division leader. The ship has sailed for this team.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 12:06 PM)
The Bears thing makes no sense to me at all. It's like week one, right? The Bears have a shot at contending. Making the playoffs is easier in football. They have a real chance at making the playoffs and therefore some chance of winning it all.

The White Sox are 57-85 on September 9th, 24.5 GB of the division leader. The ship has sailed for this team.

So you think the Bears have a legitimate shot at the Super Bowl this season? Also keep in mind the prize is much bigger to be that bad in the NFL. This is like a shot at LeBron, let alone the top pick in every other round.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 12:12 PM)
So you think the Bears have a legitimate shot at the Super Bowl this season? Also keep in mind the prize is much bigger to be that bad in the NFL. This is like a shot at LeBron, let alone the top pick in every other round.

Any team that makes the playoffs has a legitimate chance at winning. They probably won't, but teams get hot and win games they shouldn't. The Cardinals were 3 plays away from winning a Super Bowl. Just think about that.

The White Sox have, quite literally, a 0% chance of making the playoffs. They simply cannot win the World Series.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 12:12 PM)

If last year's Ravens were able to win the Super Bowl, then yes the Bears absolutely have a shot to win it all this year. You don't have to be the best team, just the hottest and healthiest (and luckiest) come January.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 12:13 PM)
Yes. Don't you?

I'm not for tanking in any sport. I just don't know why it is totally different whether the season just started or is almost over. If you aren't good enough, you aren't good enough. You still play to win or IMO it will come back to haunt you one way or another.

How many teams have benefitted over the years from losing games basically on purpose?

I also think if the Bears had lost yesterday, there wouldn't be a very optimistic outlook. I was at the game, and in the first half there was a lot of complaining coming from behind me in the stands.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 01:20 PM)
How many teams have benefitted over the years from losing games basically on purpose?

I'd say very few. The place where it gets highlighted the most is the NBA because teams will bench players and play rookies down the stretch, and it seems very rare for the teams which do that to actually get the #1 pick.

In the NFL, teams may bench a starter, but since contracts aren't guaranteed, every single player out on the field is playing for a contract the next year, so they'll play as hard as they possibly can.

In MLB, I don't even think "tanking" makes sense. Half the time when rosters expand in September, losing teams put young guys out on the field and suddenly find that they're winning more games because the young, non-ready guys actually are trying to earn roster spots and perform while the veterans they replaced stopped caring.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 12:20 PM)
I'm not for tanking in any sport. I just don't know why it is totally different whether the season just started or is almost over. If you aren't good enough, you aren't good enough. You still play to win or IMO it will come back to haunt you one way or another.

I also think if the Bears had lost yesterday, there wouldn't be a very optimistic outlook. I was at the game, and in the first half there was a lot of complaining coming from behind me in the stands.

You didn't see anyone rooting for White Sox losses after the first week of April, so why would you expect anyone to root for Bears losses after the first week in football? Your comment doesn't make any sense because the Bears are 1/16th through their season any anything can happen. The White Sox are 90% through their season any NOTHING can happen. These two teams are no where near in the same spot right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 10:24 AM)
I'd say very few. The place where it gets highlighted the most is the NBA because teams will bench players and play rookies down the stretch, and it seems very rare for the teams which do that to actually get the #1 pick.

In the NFL, teams may bench a starter, but since contracts aren't guaranteed, every single player out on the field is playing for a contract the next year, so they'll play as hard as they possibly can.

In MLB, I don't even think "tanking" makes sense. Half the time when rosters expand in September, losing teams put young guys out on the field and suddenly find that they're winning more games because the young, non-ready guys actually are trying to earn roster spots and perform while the veterans they replaced stopped caring.

The key distinction being that the White Sox have shown no inclination of "tanking" it. This is a ridiculous debate (if you may even call it that) over what fans "should" be cheering for.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 12:40 PM)
Maybe Taylorsox for his personal attack, but that's on him, not the rest of us. It's not like there is much else to talk about with this awful team right now.

You say "f*** you Conor" after he hits a homer and try to get me banned for calling you out? Damn dude, you are b**** made.

Edited by TaylorStSox

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 12:42 PM)
You didn't see anyone rooting for White Sox losses after the first week of April, so why would you expect anyone to root for Bears losses after the first week in football? Your comment doesn't make any sense because the Bears are 1/16th through their season any anything can happen. The White Sox are 90% through their season any NOTHING can happen. These two teams are no where near in the same spot right now.

Yeah, but if they lost on Opening Day and more often the first week, it would have helped their draft position correct?

So those wins were just as meaningless and hurtful to draft position now. If you are going to cuss Gillaspie for going deep now, you should be upset Flowers hit a game winning homer on Opening Day.

The Sox were 1-9 this roadtrip. It's just obnoxious to me people were upset they won a game. Not upset because 1 out of 10 was embarrassing, but because 1 out of 10 was too much. The Sox have 19 games left. They are probably going to win at least 8 or 9 of them.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 01:21 PM)
You say "f*** you Conor" after he hits a homer and try to get me banned for calling you out? Damn dude, you are b**** made.

I guess you are just lucky you aren't me. You would have been suspended within minutes of your last personal attack. This makes two but I doubt anyone would bat an eye.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 01:29 PM)
Yeah, but if they lost on Opening Day and more often the first week, it would have helped their draft position correct?

So those wins were just as meaningless and hurtful to draft position now. If you are going to cuss Gillaspie for going deep now, you should be upset Flowers hit a game winning homer on Opening Day.

The Sox were 1-9 this roadtrip. It's just obnoxious to me people were upset they won a game. Not upset because 1 out of 10 was embarrassing, but because 1 out of 10 was too much. The Sox have 19 games left. They are probably going to win at least 8 or 9 of them.

You just still don't get it, and that amazes me.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 01:45 PM)
You just still don't get it, and that amazes me.

You're right. I don't get it. Never will. You want the White Sox to lose every game thinking it will definitely make them better in the long run. You still have yet to prove it. As far as I'm concerned, someone posting on a White Sox message board game thread cussing when the Sox take the lead is doing nothing more than trolling. BTW, it isn't as if the Sox will be picking 15th if they suddenly start winning now. I'm a bad fan. I want the Sox to play well, and win. If it costs them a spot or 2 in the draft, I really doubt it will be the difference between being horrible or great for the next 10 years.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 01:51 PM)
You're right. I don't get it. Never will. You want the White Sox to lose every game thinking it will definitely make them better in the long run. You still have yet to prove it. As far as I'm concerned, someone posting on a White Sox message board game thread cussing when the Sox take the lead is doing nothing more than trolling. BTW, it isn't as if the Sox will be picking 15th if they suddenly start winning now. I'm a bad fan. I want the Sox to play well, and win. If it costs them a spot or 2 in the draft, I really doubt it will be the difference between being horrible or great for the next 10 years.

I've yet to prove what will happen in the future? Well, ya got me there. I guess you win this round, Dick Allen. Another legendary post.

Edited by Chilihead90