New Sox AZL team in 2014

daggins

I thought this should have its own thread.

I contacted Scott Merkin to see if we can find out more on this - details aren't known, that I've seen. But apparently, the Sox are going to have an AZL team in 2014. The article talked about both Bristol and Great Falls in 2015 for Zapata, so it appears this isn't closing or moving a team, but adding a new one.

Given the Sox' increased LatAm operations, and the fact that they were keeping guys in AZ well into the season anyway for various reasons, this makes a lot of sense.

If anyone else finds any details on this, post it here if you get a chance.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 09:12 AM)
I thought this should have its own thread.

I contacted Scott Merkin to see if we can find out more on this - details aren't known, that I've seen. But apparently, the Sox are going to have an AZL team in 2014. The article talked about both Bristol and Great Falls in 2015 for Zapata, so it appears this isn't closing or moving a team, but adding a new one.

Given the Sox' increased LatAm operations, and the fact that they were keeping guys in AZ well into the season anyway for various reasons, this makes a lot of sense.

If anyone else finds any details on this, post it here if you get a chance.

How does the AZL generally work? Is it considered on the same level as the other two rookie leagues? In between them and the DSL/VSL? Draft picks or will this maybe get more experienced kids out of the DSL?

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 08:17 AM)
How does the AZL generally work? Is it considered on the same level as the other two rookie leagues? In between them and the DSL/VSL? Draft picks or will this maybe get more experienced kids out of the DSL?

I don't know a ton, but talking to a Cubs guy a while back, they use their AZL team as a lower level rookie team, about how the Sox use Bristol. Someone else can maybe see what info there is out there on the league as a whole, but my guess from off hand conversation is that it is slightly below the Appy/Pioneer level.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 08:27 AM)
I don't know a ton, but talking to a Cubs guy a while back, they use their AZL team as a lower level rookie team, about how the Sox use Bristol. Someone else can maybe see what info there is out there on the league as a whole, but my guess from off hand conversation is that it is slightly below the Appy/Pioneer level.

I think, generally speaking, these teams are leveled to whatever the teams want them to be, but about Bristol or Great Falls for sure. You see both Caucasian and Latino names spread throughout the leaderboards, but young players abound for sure. I think, just generally speaking, it's a transitional league.

What's funny is that the Sox had an AZL team before - from 1998-2002. It's funny because that's when their system was bonkers good. I think this allows us some more insight into Hahn's philosophy.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 08:33 AM)
I think, generally speaking, these teams are leveled to whatever the teams want them to be, but about Bristol or Great Falls for sure. You see both Caucasian and Latino names spread throughout the leaderboards, but young players abound for sure. I think, just generally speaking, it's a transitional league.

What's funny is that the Sox had an AZL team before - from 1998-2002. It's funny because that's when their system was bonkers good. I think this allows us some more insight into Hahn's philosophy.

Yup, we had an AZL team back in the day and then switched to Great Falls in 2003. Not sure why, maybe the Pioneer League is considered more advanced.

I guess I didn't even realize that teams can have more than 6 U.S. affiliates, but it looks like some teams do. Don't see how it could be a bad thing.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 4, 2013 -> 06:25 PM)
I guess I didn't even realize that teams can have more than 6 U.S. affiliates, but it looks like some teams do. Don't see how it could be a bad thing.

Actually most teams do and I believe that's a newer thing. I don't remember as many having three rookie affiliates.

The Arizona League and the Gulf Coast League are sometimes referred to as 'complex leagues' as in played on spring training complexes. It's a lower level than the Appy or Pioneer. My guess is that the Sox will work in some younger talent there, with a heavier foreign and high school influence.

Look at how awful Bristol has been in recent years. They've been overmatched. That's largely the kind of team I expect to see in the Arizona League and the hope would be that Bristol gets more experience and success that way.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 13, 2013 -> 08:32 PM)
I think these would be night games. Camelback sucks in March. No shade.

Yeah I thought about that. In the daytime the playing field would have to be unbearable. I spent the whole 2012 spring training down there and some of those day games in March were mighty hot, but good god I had a great time.

• 2 weeks later...