Official 2013-2014 College Hoops Thread

Brian

Horrendous loss. Poor coaching by Groce down the stretch tonight after making great adjustments at halftime. Nice that the refs let GT's big men travel every time they touched the ball tonight including on Miller's go ahead shot. Tracy Abrams is incredibly disappointing, he has been terrible all year.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 07:40 PM)
I didn't get that impression at all. Cuse looks much more athletic.

Of course they look that way. They're older, deeper, better, BUT Ferrell-Hollowell-Williams-Vonleh-Perea (all soph/fresh) is the most athletic 5-some I have seen at IU in my lifetime, IMO. IU isn't deep, but their athleticism 1-6 is pretty awesome. Raw but supremely athletic.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 08:23 PM)
Of course they look that way. They're older, deeper, better, BUT Ferrell-Hollowell-Williams-Vonleh-Perea (all soph/fresh) is the most athletic 5-some I have seen at IU in my lifetime, IMO. IU isn't deep, but their athleticism 1-6 is pretty awesome. Raw but supremely athletic.

Vonleh looks great. But I still didn't see athleticism. They were more athletic the last two years.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 08:22 PM)
Horrendous loss. Poor coaching by Groce down the stretch tonight after making great adjustments at halftime. Nice that the refs let GT's big men travel every time they touched the ball tonight including on Miller's go ahead shot. Tracy Abrams is incredibly disappointing, he has been terrible all year.

yeah thats gonna hurt come march. gt is terrible.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 09:23 PM)
Double win for fathom tonight.

Just terrible by Groce and Abrams.

Remember when we all thought that Weber landed a really good class in 2011? Yeah, not so much. Shaw, Langford and Djimde weren't even close to being Big 10 level players, Henry transferred after doing nothing for 2 years, and Tracy hasn't developed his PG skills since his freshman year of high school and while he isn't a bad player he is basically an undersized SG that can't shoot. Awesome.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 08:28 PM)
Remember when we all thought that Weber landed a really good class in 2011? Yeah, not so much. Shaw, Langford and Djimde weren't even close to being Big 10 level players, Henry transferred after doing nothing for 2 years, and Tracy hasn't developed his PG skills since his freshman year of high school and while he isn't a bad player he is basically an undersized SG that can't shoot. Awesome.

Recruiting is such a crap shoot though. Tough loss but I think Groce can build on it unlike some other coaches.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 02:30 AM)
Recruiting is such a crap shoot though. Tough loss but I think Groce can build on it unlike some other coaches.

The problem is the Illini bench outside of Tate is about the worst I've seen in Champaign. With the way that fouls are being called now, you have to go more than 6 deep.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 09:30 PM)

Eh, good coaches and recruiters consistently get good players. Groce did a terrible job down the stretch tonight but Weber left him very little talent for this season (with a decent roster for last year) that Groce did a good job with. We only have 3 scholarship players left from Weber and they are all very limited basketball players.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 09:32 PM)
The problem is the Illini bench outside of Tate is about the worst I've seen in Champaign. With the way that fouls are being called now, you have to go more than 6 deep.

That's the problem when you have an all freshmen bench and none of them are instant impact type guys. Thankfully Nunn is starting to come along a bit and Hill is really talented but this roster just isn't very good thanks to the 2011 class being a complete bust for Illinois.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 08:34 PM)
That's the problem when you have an all freshmen bench and none of them are instant impact type guys. Thankfully Nunn is starting to come along a bit and Hill is really talented but this roster just isn't very good thanks to the 2011 class being a complete bust for Illinois.

It's a transition year, losses like this are going to be more common than not. It's just disappointing that so many of the mistakes were by our juniors.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 09:36 PM)
It's a transition year, losses like this are going to be more common than not. It's just disappointing that so many of the mistakes were by our juniors.

Tracy's clearly never going to figure it out. Just doesn't have great basketball instincts. He has his moments but just no real feel for playing PG and not a good enough shooter to be great off the ball. After 3 years of starting I really hope Starks or Tate beats him out for the PG position next year. Tate needs to live in the gym and just become a threat to knock down shots and he will easily be better than Abrams next year.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 4, 2013 -> 02:40 AM)
Tracy's clearly never going to figure it out. Just doesn't have great basketball instincts. He has his moments but just no real feel for playing PG and not a good enough shooter to be great off the ball. After 3 years of starting I really hope Starks or Tate beats him out for the PG position next year. Tate needs to live in the gym and just become a threat to knock down shots and he will easily be better than Abrams next year.

If he played down the stretch tonight Illinois wins by double digits.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 3, 2013 -> 08:40 PM)
8 on 5

lol definitely not picking fights with all the Bulls fans but that's how I felt in Game 6 of the '98 Finals. I remember Marv Alberts saying Utah would have to win by more than 5 to beat Chicago because of 2 bad shot clock calls from the refs. Either way Jordan's infamous shot probably would've came in game 7 anyways!