Official 2013-2014 College Hoops Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew Abrams wasn't playing good basketball, but I didn't know he was 31% on 10.5 FGA per game bad. Groce really needs to give Tate a start soon. Worst case is Tate fails, Abrams doesn't respond, and then everything goes back to the way they are now.

Maybe Tate embraces the role and holds onto it for a bit while Abrams responds well and provides a spark off the bench. Only one way to find out.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 06:07 PM)
Hadn't seen this on the shot that won GT the game:

How on earth did the ref miss this? It's literally right in front of him.

According to a former ref on the GT site, it's not that refs job to call the travel, as he's watching for contact between the players. It was a bad call, no doubt...but like I said yesterday, it just balances out the brutal goal-tend that wasn't called :) In reality, my best bet is that once the ref decided not to call Egwu for putting both hands on Miller's back, he just decided to let the play go and ended up allowing the blatant travel which makes him look foolish.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 12:07 PM)
Hadn't seen this on the shot that won GT the game:

How on earth did the ref miss this? It's literally right in front of him.

OMG STOP b****ING ABOUT THE REFS THAT'S ALL ILLINOIS FANS DO!!!!!

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 12:36 PM)
According to a former ref on the GT site, it's not that refs job to call the travel, as he's watching for contact between the players. It was a bad call, no doubt...but like I said yesterday, it just balances out the brutal goal-tend that wasn't called :) In reality, my best bet is that once the ref decided not to call Egwu for putting both hands on Miller's back, he just decided to let the play go and ended up allowing the blatant travel which makes him look foolish.

It may not be his job, but a blind man could have seen that travel, even if he wasn't looking for it. That travel would have been called in a 5th grade basketball game. Plus, the 2nd(!) travel happened after contact was done. There's not a whole lot else to look at.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 10:23 PM)
It may not be his job, but a blind man could have seen that travel, even if he wasn't looking for it. That travel would have been called in a 5th grade basketball game. Plus, the 2nd(!) travel happened after contact was done. There's not a whole lot else to look at.

Agreed, and that's why I think he decided to let it go after he didn't call the ticky-tack touch foul (that we've seen called all year) on Egwu in the post. I'm not quite sure why Illinois didn't double-down on Miller, who was going up against a defender with 4 fouls (and GT is horrific from the perimeter).

And don't get me wrong Illini fans, if GT lost by 1, I'm sure I would have been talking about the goal-tending that wasn't called and going on and on about how the refs were awful.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 03:23 PM)

I see refs from half court intervene and call fouls out of their jurisdiction, under the basket, all the time. Don't buy the argument that it wasn't the refs call.

Otherwise, why do refs ever huddle and get each other opinions on a call? Makes no sense.

Ref missed obvious travel that probably cost Illinois the game. The End.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 5, 2013 -> 04:19 PM)
I see refs from half court intervene and call fouls out of their jurisdiction, under the basket, all the time. Don't buy the argument that it wasn't the refs call.

Otherwise, why do refs ever huddle and get each other opinions on a call? Makes no sense.

Ref missed obvious travel that probably cost Illinois the game. The End.

Real time it was so obvious. Horrible non call. Doesn't matter in the long run anyway. Just be glad it wasn't during the tourney

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 12:21 AM)
Kentucky isn't that good.

Yet.

E: The talent is there. The Harrison twins seem a bit overrated at this point, but if they put it together they can win a lot of games. The good Calipari teams have always had good PGs, whether it be Rose, Evans, Wall (Bledsoe), or even Teague (although having the brow and a sophomore class that shouldn't have been there helped).

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 7, 2013 -> 07:29 PM)
Have to say UCLA looks really good. Their offense is deadly.

They caught a huge break with Kyle Anderson returning. Zach LaVine looks like maybe the most underrated recruit of this freshman class. They have great perimeter play, but I think they'll struggle with strong frontcourt teams.