Official 2013-2014 College Hoops Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 08:40 PM)
Illinois is horrendous. So much standing around.

Luckily Sunday sucked out all hopes I had for this season, so I have the game on in the background but am not really paying serious attention. And how is AJ Hammons only a sophomore?

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 09:21 PM)
I don't get how Egwu has regressed so much. Not that he was great to begin with which makes regression so much worse. And why is the coaching staff still green lighting his 3s?

I'm guessing he's one of the better three point shooters in practice and the Illini need people to space the floor. That's how devoid of 3 point shooters the Illini are this year. Egwu is used to try to stretch the floor. Terrible.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 09:21 PM)
I don't get how Egwu has regressed so much. Not that he was great to begin with which makes regression so much worse. And why is the coaching staff still green lighting his 3s?

It's not as much regression, more like zero improvement. The end of last season he showed some great flashes of potential, but now he's just trying to be Brian Cook.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 09:48 PM)
I'm guessing he's one of the better three point shooters in practice and the Illini need people to space the floor. That's how devoid of 3 point shooters the Illini are this year. Egwu is used to try to stretch the floor. Terrible.

Doesnt work when he's made about one three in the last two months

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 09:53 PM)
Lol it's that bad? Good lord.

Mizzou: 2-6

UIC: 2-7

Indiana: 3-11

Penn State: 3-8

Wisconsin: 2-9

Northwestern: 3-7

Tonight: 0-6

Also, he had as many or more personal fouls than FGs in every single one of those games.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 09:51 PM)
Doesnt work when he's made about one three in the last two months

Oh, I completely agree. I'd rather them just their chances with him staying inside. Not only does he miss a ton of threes, but it seems like he always misses them at the worst time.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Jan 15, 2014 -> 03:59 PM)
Eh, it's at home and I don't think Purdue is that good (not that an Indiana fan is biased in that regard or anything...). -6 or -7 sounds about right. And Vegas does always know, it's scary impressive. If you're ever looking at a line and think Vegas knows something you don't, you're right.

Vegas must not know who Nnanna Egwu is. Easy money.

I posted this earlier this year but it is still remarkable to me just how bad Illinois' 2011 recruiting class turned out. Djimde, Langford and Shaw weren't anywhere close to being high major players (and at a minimum Djimde should never have even been recruited), Henry was completely unproductive for two years and then transferred and Egwu is a terrible offensive player who is also a bad defensive rebounder. Abrams is a solid player but he can't shoot and isn't a good distributor. This class was supposed to be a foundation type class for Illinois and instead it produced one legitimate Big 10 player. Yikes.

As to the game tonight, Groce should have definitely played Hill and Nunn more but this team just has so little scoring punch it is ridiculous (especially with Rice banged up). No shooters except for Ekey and no one who can score in the post. Just a really bad roster. I hope Groce starts giving Hill and Nunn a lot more time because they seem to be coming along and both have a lot of potential. I thought we would be bad coming into the season but then they got my hopes up by playing better than expected in the non-conference. Other than the NW game none of this has been shocking to me.