Official 2013-2014 College Hoops Thread

Brian

QUOTE (Boogua @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 03:33 PM)
I don't really care how much success he has at KSU. He just couldn't cut it at illinois. Michael Orris and Jalen James would have been part of the backcourt next year instead of Starks, Cosby, or Nunn.

Yea no way that would've cut it at Illinois. I'm not a Weber apologist but he deserves kudos for the turn around they've had thus far this year.

I love Groce, I think he was a tremendous hire, but he needs to learn how to coach/win in conference play. I think he'll be a great recruiter and he's shown he coach in the tourney, but for whatever reason his teams just do not perform well in conference play.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 03:33 PM)
Well this year our roster is pretty bad, just way too much turnover to have a real legitimate chance to compete (and none of the freshmen are stepping up to be big time contributors at this point). Going forward we will be much more talented then KSU.

My honeymoon with Groce & Co. is just about over. He's not a miracle worker. And there's no guarantee that he'll (a) land the game changing players or (b) coach em up.

After the NW and Purdue games i'm questioning just how good of an X's and O's guy he is. Yes, he's relying on a combo guard as a PG, and a incredibly low rated true freshman PG, but still. The fact that we're 4 months into the season and they still can't execute on offense really annoys me. I would actually like to borrow Weber for a game and have him scream "MOVE! MOVE! MOVE!" all game. Maybe that would make a difference. Right now their offense sucks because no one but Egwu moves on offense. And once teams figured out they could clog the lane and Illinois would run no plan B offense, well, we started to lose. Their offensive rankings nationally are atrocious.

Given how the season has been going, do they even have what can be considered a quality win?

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 03:59 PM)
Groce reminds me of Crean, except crazier on the sidelines and maybe not as good of a recruiter. Not a bad coach, but like Crean, you just don't see him ever winning the big one.

Indiana sells better than Illinois, Crean has pulled in better recruits thus far so that's probably a fair assessment but like I said he has the advantage when it comes to selling to recruits on school brand alone.

Groce needs to get those difference maker type guys in his program, a Cliff or Charles Matthews type guy. If he can't have a big season with someone like that (a consensus top 15/20 player) then I'll start wondering if he's a good enough in game coach to win it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 04:52 PM)
My honeymoon with Groce & Co. is just about over. He's not a miracle worker. And there's no guarantee that he'll (a) land the game changing players or (b) coach em up.

After the NW and Purdue games i'm questioning just how good of an X's and O's guy he is. Yes, he's relying on a combo guard as a PG, and a incredibly low rated true freshman PG, but still. The fact that we're 4 months into the season and they still can't execute on offense really annoys me. I would actually like to borrow Weber for a game and have him scream "MOVE! MOVE! MOVE!" all game. Maybe that would make a difference. Right now their offense sucks because no one but Egwu moves on offense. And once teams figured out they could clog the lane and Illinois would run no plan B offense, well, we started to lose. Their offensive rankings nationally are atrocious.

Given how the season has been going, do they even have what can be considered a quality win?

The offense sucks because they have no shooters and no post threat. There is no effective offense to run when you have a center who can't make shots, can't catch the ball and finish on the pick and roll and can't post up and you have no wings that are good 3 pt shooters to space the floor. If I was to complain about Groce's coaching it would be on the other end of the floor where the defense has been really bad during the 4 game losing streak.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 04:19 PM)
The offense sucks because they have no shooters and no post threat. There is no effective offense to run when you have a center who can't make shots, can't catch the ball and finish on the pick and roll and can't post up and you have no wings that are good 3 pt shooters to space the floor. If I was to complain about Groce's coaching it would be on the other end of the floor where the defense has been really bad during the 4 game losing streak.

Ekey is a good shooter. He should shoot a minimum of 10 times a game. There have to be designed plays available to get him some open shots. He's completely underutilized in this offense.

Groce keeps calling that stupid high ball screen. It never works. Only 2 of the 5 guys on the floor move - the guy with the ball and the guy setting the pick. Try something else. Try some ball reversals. Try some back door cuts. f***ing try anything. Running Egwu up to the top of the key for a pick in roll works once in 40 tries during a game.

Also, teach them to pass the ball. They're 322nd in the country in assists with a little over 10/game. That's pathetic. They're the Weber offense from 3-4 years ago - have one guy stand beyond the 3 pt line, dribble for 30 seconds, and then chuck up a contested jumpshot. If that's their offense, take the Creighton approach and just quickly jack up as many 3's as you can and maybe you get hot and make a bunch.

And the defense has been good enough. They sucked at Wisconsin, but 49 against NW, 66 against Purdue and 78 against MSU is good to respectable.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 22, 2014 -> 08:11 PM)
Nobody is going through conference play undefeated anyway.

Exactly, in fact I'm guessing as of now, Iowa beats Michigan in Iowa in a couple weeks. Besides a few consecutive possessions, I thought Michigan controlled the game, and it was very close all the way through.

Granted predicting Iowa to win at home isn't going out on a limb because Iowa is #10 and Michigan is #21/#25 and I'm not sure who was actually favored tonight. I was leaning towards Michigan because they're at home tonight so the result wasn't surprising to me.