Official 2013-2014 College Hoops Thread

Brian

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait for James Blackmon's shooting ability next year. IU's lack of an outside threat this year is gonna be a killer. Besides the youth, of course. Ferrell is the only real threat, and even if you took this year's version and put him on last year's team, he would have been tied with Oladipo behind Watford and Hulls as a deep threat.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 15, 2013 -> 04:12 AM)
Oregon made a lot of lucky baskets tonight. I think Illinois looked like the better team. Stinks to lose, but I'm encouraged by how we looked

It was a lay-up drill for both teams. Oregon has absolutely no interior defense. Armadi and Tate had a contest for who could be the worst player this game.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 14, 2013 -> 10:13 PM)
Another disastrous second half collapse for Illinois

Illini fading for long stretches with 8 minutes left against good teams happening alot under Groce.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Dec 14, 2013 -> 10:23 PM)
Illini fading for long stretches with 8 minutes left against good teams happening alot under Groce.

I think it was fairly obvious last night they just didn't have the horses to compete down the stretch. Only Rice was going to do anything and Oregon knew it.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 14, 2013 -> 10:21 PM)
Can't believe Gessel joked at the line. He's normally automatic from the line. Bummer. Great game though. Both squads are good.

Marble has had chances to knock out Villanova and ISU and whiffed both times.

Last year, he was over an 80% foul shooter. This year, he's in the mid 60's.

One thing's for sure, they can't keep losing these games to ranked opponents...they've got to win 2 or 3 at home and at least once on the road against Wisconsin, OSU and Michigan State.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 15, 2013 -> 08:37 AM)
I think it was fairly obvious last night they just didn't have the horses to compete down the stretch. Only Rice was going to do anything and Oregon knew it.

They became the Bulls - everyone stand around and see if Rice can score and if not the possession is over. Which is dumb because Abrams took over the game at multiple points to regain or extend their lead. He disappeared at the end and Oregon was able to close off the paint and that was that.

I think they'll continue to get better and be a pretty tough out by the end of the year. Their offensive execution still isn't great. But they are very good at rebounding, especially offensive rebounding, and defense.

Beat Mizzou and it's a decent non-conference season with good wins (@UNLV. N-Mizzou), a "good" loss (@ORE) and a "bad" loss (@GT). They'll have plenty of opportunities to finish in the upper half of the big ten and get into the tournament.

I was going to start talking up Jordan Clarkson before his pretty bad game yesterday. But, Mizzou's trio of Clarkson, Brown and Ross are doing the majority of our scoring. But it will be fun to see Tate and Clark go at each other. Clark hasn't had a game as good as some of Tates yet but he is a tough player and shows a lot of flashes. His hops are insane.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 12:01 PM)
Looking at the OOC resumes in the Top 25's... there's a lot of weakness at the top, and a lot of interesting teams at the bottom and just out of ranking. I get the impression there will be a LOT of movement in the polls in January. Should be fun to watch.

Like most recent years. We wont know s*** until conference play starts.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 09:58 AM)
They became the Bulls - everyone stand around and see if Rice can score and if not the possession is over. Which is dumb because Abrams took over the game at multiple points to regain or extend their lead. He disappeared at the end and Oregon was able to close off the paint and that was that.

I think they'll continue to get better and be a pretty tough out by the end of the year. Their offensive execution still isn't great. But they are very good at rebounding, especially offensive rebounding, and defense.

Beat Mizzou and it's a decent non-conference season with good wins (@UNLV. N-Mizzou), a "good" loss (@ORE) and a "bad" loss (@GT). They'll have plenty of opportunities to finish in the upper half of the big ten and get into the tournament.

That game definitely showed some promise, it was just very frustrating to watch nothing happen on offense the last 10 minutes. This team can be scrappy and play tough, and I think Groce had a nice game plan, and usually will. It's just really tough relying on these freshman to pick up slack if you have 1-2 of the upper classmen struggling. Not having any experience at all off the bench is going to be interesting come BT play in a couple weeks.

Can I have the Egwu from the Miami game back? Hopefully Abrams can show more consistency, too.

Defense should always be able to keep us in the game, sometimes we just won't be able to score enough, or more specifically, make enough jump shots.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 16, 2013 -> 12:39 PM)
That game definitely showed some promise, it was just very frustrating to watch nothing happen on offense the last 10 minutes. This team can be scrappy and play tough, and I think Groce had a nice game plan, and usually will. It's just really tough relying on these freshman to pick up slack if you have 1-2 of the upper classmen struggling. Not having any experience at all off the bench is going to be interesting come BT play in a couple weeks.

Can I have the Egwu from the Miami game back? Hopefully Abrams can show more consistency, too.

Defense should always be able to keep us in the game, sometimes we just won't be able to score enough, or more specifically, make enough jump shots.

Yeah Egwu needs to start playing better offensively. I get that Groce wants these guys to drive and dish, and they're good at doing that, but Egwu needs to at least seem like an offensive threat. And he needs to learn to set legal screens. He got away with a few in the Oregon game and still had 2 offensive fouls on screens.