9/7 at Orioles

flavum

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 7, 2013 -> 03:58 PM)
He's the least of this organization's problems right now though. If you can get a big time package in return for him this offseason, by all means, do it.

I agree he's the least of their problems, I don't think you can get a big return for him. His stuff just doesn't warrant it.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Sep 7, 2013 -> 02:59 PM)
That's not what I a advocating. I want us to play the best we possibly can while retaining a top 5 pick. You don't see me cheering on the Orioles because I am a Sox fan.

I'm not cheering on the Orioles or any other opponent but once the Sox lose which is most of the time, I can't help but look on the bright side. It's better than being pissed off, which frankly, as a Sox fan I'm really pissed off big-time deep inside.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 7, 2013 -> 04:03 PM)
I want the Sox to lose, but I also want the AL wildcard to get as close as possible. So I'm glad they won.

I'm also happy the Reds just won too. The NL Central race could be great the last week.

Word. There has been some great baseball to watch lately. Super excited for the playoffs. Work is sending me to the San Fran area around playoff time, hoping to catch an A's game while there.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Sep 7, 2013 -> 04:59 PM)
That's not what I am advocating. I want us to play the best we possibly can while retaining a top 5 pick. You don't see me cheering on the Orioles because I am a Sox fan.

Your caveat of "retaining a top 5 pick" is kind of implying you are hoping they do well, but not TOO well. Then what's the point? No one is rooting for 10 errors a game and all the hitters striking out. I'm just rooting that the players play well, but someone takes a fall each game to lose it for us. Unfortunately that person had to be Addison Reed today, and that's unfortunate because I really like Reed and would typically want him to succeed. But if that was almost any other reliever on this team, today would have been a perfect ending.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Sep 7, 2013 -> 05:09 PM)
It's just annoying on a White Sox fan site full of White Sox fans we have a handful of posters cheering for our closer after he blew a save and cheering for the opposing team's players.

It's also annoying that on a White Sox fan site full of White Sox fans that we have a handful of posters cheering on meaningless wins that hurts our draft position, slot money, international money, and ability to rebuild our terrible farm system.

I'm rooting for the big picture, not the temporary satisfaction.

I don't openly root against the White Sox. I can't. From game to game I want them to do well but I think there's a difference once the game has ended and they've lost yet again to be kinda relieved that they indeed lost rather than be upset about it. I spent all of May and most of June getting REALLY upset as the losses piled up. Once it was obvious that this season is in the tank and that a really good draft pick next year was looking like a sure bet, I stopped being upset about losses and actually kinda hoping for losses. Still a Sox fan through and through and hoping they turn it around next year and aren't a major embarrassment, such as they currently are.

Edited by BigEdWalsh

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Sep 7, 2013 -> 09:19 PM)
What do you mean what is the point? If we play .500 because the Garcias, Phegley, Viciedo, Beckham, Semien and the rotation keeps pitching well I would be happy.

An ideal situation would be us going into the 8th inning leading 5-1 with the aforementioned players making a great contribution (hitters hitting and starter getting a QS) and Axelrod/Troncoso/Veal come in and blow the game then so be it, that would be great. I just don't have it in me to cheer for Weiters against Reed. When Gillaspie went yard I yelled out "Yes!" and when De Aza made a terrible play in LF I yelled out "damnit!" I understand why losing could be a good thing and I don't want us to win out but playing around .500 with our young players succeeding is worth picking 4-6 instead of 3. The draft is a crap shoot. I am mostly rooting for the teams in the 3-7 spots to keep winning and our young players to see success in their respective roles.

That's the thing, outside of a good game for Viciedo, the young hitters on the Sox were struggling to even put the ball in play. You know it's bad when Beckham is PH for by JorDanks.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Sep 7, 2013 -> 05:19 PM)
What do you mean what is the point? If we play .500 because the Garcias, Phegley, Viciedo, Beckham, Semien and the rotation keeps pitching well I would be happy.

An ideal situation would be us going into the 8th inning leading 5-1 with the aforementioned players making a great contribution (hitters hitting and starter getting a QS) and Axelrod/Troncoso/Veal come in and blow the game then so be it, that would be great. I just don't have it in me to cheer for Weiters against Reed. When Gillaspie went yard I yelled out "Yes!" and when De Aza made a terrible play in LF I yelled out "damnit!" I understand why losing could be a good thing and I don't want us to win out but playing around .500 with our young players succeeding is worth picking 4-6 instead of 3. The draft is a crap shoot. I am mostly rooting for the teams in the 3-7 spots to keep winning and our young players to see success in their respective roles.

Yes, exactly. I don't get pissed off when Chris Sale rips off a complete game shutout and we win. I'd rather Sale dominate and the Sox win than Sale do awful and the Sox lose. But instead, I root for both Sale to dominate, and someone else to ruin it for it. Hopefully that's not Reed, but if that's what has to happen, then so be it.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Sep 7, 2013 -> 05:29 PM)
Well aren't you just so much smarter than everyone. As if picking #3 or #4 will make any bit of difference years down the road. (yes, I understand how slotting and money works with the draft). So you know we are 4.5 games ahead of the #4 spot so we would have to do some serious winning the with the #4 and #5 teams doing some serious losing to lose our #3 status.

Not everyone. There are others rooting for the #2 draft spot too.

I don't mind people cheering for the draft pick nearly as much as the people waiting to celebrate every failure by declaring how right they were about player x being mediocre because of a single outing. The garbage about Reed in this thread is a perfect example.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 7, 2013 -> 05:39 PM)
I don't mind people cheering for the draft pick nearly as much as the people waiting to celebrate every failure by declaring how right they were about player x being mediocre because of a single outing. The garbage about Reed in this thread is a perfect example.

I think it's just the timing of the failures that we cheer on. If the Sox were tied, I would have been rooting for Reed to dominate. Or if we were losing already, I wouldn't be happy about anyone's bad defense. But in the last inning and winning, I'm completely good with failure, no matter who it is.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 7, 2013 -> 10:39 PM)

I hate that yahoo changed their sports format, as they used to have this information easily accessible. Do you know what the average ERA is for relievers in the majors?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 7, 2013 -> 03:39 PM)

Oh man, I agree wholeheartedly and furthermore I hate any complaining about individual player's so-called mediocrity (Flowers, Keppinger, Gillaspie, etc., etc.). All teams have "mediocre" players and to see complaining all season long about our guys who are "mediocre" gets awfully tiresome.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 7, 2013 -> 04:39 PM)

Please. The reason why this team is battling for the 2nd pick in the draft is because it is not very good. Addison Reed is just another bullpen guy.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Sep 7, 2013 -> 04:46 PM)
Oh man, I agree wholeheartedly and furthermore I hate any complaining about individual player's so-called mediocrity (Flowers, Keppinger, Gillaspie, etc., etc.). All teams have "mediocre" players and to see complaining all season long about our guys who are "mediocre" gets awfully tiresome.

"Mediocre" is being kind.

Do not see a plus side in bringing Robin back 2 straight years team has been in the s***ter in September under his watch. Nobody going to be excited in 2014 with him running the ship fan base wise. Lipstick on a pig time for RV!

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 7, 2013 -> 04:39 PM)

It has just devolved into petty trolling to make a non-existent point. That is the big problem.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 7, 2013 -> 02:42 PM)
I think it's just the timing of the failures that we cheer on. If the Sox were tied, I would have been rooting for Reed to dominate. Or if we were losing already, I wouldn't be happy about anyone's bad defense. But in the last inning and winning, I'm completely good with failure, no matter who it is.

I think at some point, you have to worry about the failures.

I don't want Reed blowing saves. I don't want our young hitters failing in big situations.

What I don't mind is Ax failing or Keppinger sucking. Now that we're playing some of what we hope will be the next core, I think it hurts when they absolutely suck, even in the long run.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 7, 2013 -> 04:19 PM)
This is the silliest thing I've ever read on Soxtalk, building a case that Addison Reed is better than Chris Sale.

Where did I write that? Stop trolling. You said his stuff isn't all that great. Looking at the actual results, hitters seem to disagree.