9/9 Game Thread

southsider2k5

Among the perceived race of Scherzer, Felix, Sale, and Darvish......

Sale is 1st in IP, 1st in ERA, 1st in BB/9, 1st in K/BB, 2nd in WHIP, 3rd in K/9, 3rd in oppBA, 4th in HR/9

Those are the stats that most baseball writers will look at, unfortunately they will also look at Wins, which he ranks last of those 4 in, and has an 11-12 record, which some writers may completely dismiss his vote because of.

As far as Sabermetric numbers go, he looks much less favorable.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 10, 2013 -> 12:30 AM)
I hate to mention this, because it just means this thread will be immediately locked, but I am actually rooting for a 30-0 White Sox winner tonight, in which Sale throws a perfecto and Scherzer gives up 30 runs in the 1st inning and loses. I know Sale is a long shot, but I'd like to think he has an outside chance at the Cy Young if he finishes super strong and Scherzer/Feliz/Kuroda/Darvish struggle somewhat.

What?

Now that was a clean victory. Great pitching. Enough hitting although once I tuned in, we stopped scoring. Like somebody said, where's Semien? He should be playing every day. We know what the veterans can do. That type of victory gives you a little bit of hope for the future. If we could have had good defense this year to go with the pitching, maybe we'd have won 10 more games. The hitting was so lousy all year.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 9, 2013 -> 09:59 PM)
Among the perceived race of Scherzer, Felix, Sale, and Darvish......

Sale is 1st in IP, 1st in ERA, 1st in BB/9, 1st in K/BB, 2nd in WHIP, 3rd in K/9, 3rd in oppBA, 4th in HR/9

Those are the stats that most baseball writers will look at, unfortunately they will also look at Wins, which he ranks last of those 4 in, and has an 11-12 record, which some writers may completely dismiss his vote because of.

As far as Sabermetric numbers go, he looks much less favorable.

It's Scherzer or Felix's award to lose really.

Both of those guys are a win ahead of Sale in WAR and they don't have losing records.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 10, 2013 -> 11:01 AM)

Both of those guys are a win ahead of Sale in WAR and they don't have losing records.

Depends which WAR the writers look at, IF some of them actually look at it. Chris Sale leads in bWAR by a pretty healthy amount over Scherzer, and even leading Clayton Kershaw for whatever reason.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 10, 2013 -> 10:01 AM)

The top 4 or so guys are so damn close it'd be hard for me to argue against any of them but Chris should be right in the discussion.

EDIT: I think if I had to vote right now, I'd actually vote for Darvish.

Edited by Rowand44