September 11

Texsox

The angle I used in discussing this with them is just like the Kennedy assassination changed the world I was raised in, an event I had no first hand experience with, 9/11 has shaped the world they are growing up in, and they have no first hand memories. We spent some time discussing pre and post 9/11 worlds.

It is easy to mark events like Pearl Harbor, JFK, and 9/11 and the whole everyone remembers where they were. But I couldn't come up with a similar list of "happy events". The moon landing and ??

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 01:04 PM)
The angle I used in discussing this with them is just like the Kennedy assassination changed the world I was raised in, an event I had no first hand experience with, 9/11 has shaped the world they are growing up in, and they have no first hand memories. We spent some time discussing pre and post 9/11 worlds.

It is easy to mark events like Pearl Harbor, JFK, and 9/11 and the whole everyone remembers where they were. But I couldn't come up with a similar list of "happy events". The moon landing and ??

Space Shuttle Columbia launch when I was a kid.

Miracle on Ice

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 11, 2013 -> 02:04 PM)

2005 World Series final out.

I remember being extremely hungover and my phone ringing over and over, and me and my roommate ignoring it until he finally got up and found out it was his mom calling us to tell us what happened. We turned the tv on just in time to see the second plane hit.

I also remember the gas station down the street going from 1.20 a gallon to 1.85 a gallon by the end of the day. Then back down to 1.20 three days later

My dad didn't find out until about 4 hours after it happened. He was golfing, and according to the golf pro, his group was the last group to leave the clubhouse for the first tee before ABC News broke into ESPN programming. Normally, they would have gone into the clubhouse after the 9th hole to get snacks, but they came upon a really slow group at about the 7th hole. The slow group never let them play through, so when that group hit the clubhouse between nines, my dad's group went straight over to the 10th tee to get ahead of them. Not until they finished up their round and went into the clubhouse did they ever hear of anything going on.

I woke up that morning, sick and vomiting from a bad slice of pizza purchased at Ardmore and Broadway late the night before. The clock radio alarm came on, and they were talking about the first crash into the WTC, as the second one hadn't happened yet. The illness was very apropos to what unfolded as the morning progressed.

I've used this for some of my research and I thought some folks might find it a very interesting way to waste time

http://archive.org/details/911

This has the feeds of many different TV channels (mainly news stations) from the US and a couple abroad starting in the hours before the attack and going on for the next several days. Crazy to see the reactions when the second plane hits

I was in third grade, sick that day. Mike and Mike broke the news to my dad and I while he took me to my grandmother's house. It took me a while to grasp it, then I did when the second tower hit.

It's weird, almost all my memories are of the Post-9/11 world.

This Cracked article touches on how everything changed really well.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-weirdest...rned-since-911/

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 12, 2013 -> 04:44 AM)
This survivors account is just incredible.

http://www.esquire.com/_mobile/features/wh...102-JAN_WTC_rev

I came across an article that's perhaps a bit less action packed, but just as much of a gut punch. It's from a year ago and it chronicles those at Logan International (BOS) directly affected by the hijackings via work.

One of them is a woman who for years thought that she was the one responsible for checking in two of the hijackers (she had also checked in two of her friends onto the same flight), and was just beginning to make it through what must have been a brutal guilt trip- until it was brought to her attention that she had in fact checked four of the hijackers.

She is in New York again, and a lawyer asks whether she has read the 9/11 Commission report or the records released around it. She has read nothing, seen nothing, for five years. The lawyer tells her the records indicate she checked in at least four of the hijackers, not two.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachus...t_11/?page=full

A chilling, but interesting article.

It's also interesting to think about how much different the news cycle would have been with Twitter, smart phones, etc. Instead of rumors flying around HS hallways and people looking for TVs, the kid sitting in calculus would have found out immediately. May have also been easier to try to find people, etc.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 12, 2013 -> 02:01 PM)
It's also interesting to think about how much different the news cycle would have been with Twitter, smart phones, etc. Instead of rumors flying around HS hallways and people looking for TVs, the kid sitting in calculus would have found out immediately. May have also been easier to try to find people, etc.

It could have been a misinformation nightmare. You saw the pandemonium during the Marathon bombings and 9/11 was that x1000000.