Lasik? Anyone have it done?

Texsox

I am pretty close to deciding on Lasik surgery to correct my nearsightedness. Thoughts? Anyone here have the surgery done? Friends? Family? Right now my biggest worry is after writing the check for four large to still need reading glasses. The surgeon believes I will be free from contacts but I also read stats that 10% of patients still need some form of vision correction.

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 15, 2013 -> 07:11 AM)
I am pretty close to deciding on Lasik surgery to correct my nearsightedness. Thoughts? Anyone here have the surgery done? Friends? Family? Right now my biggest worry is after writing the check for four large to still need reading glasses. The surgeon believes I will be free from contacts but I also read stats that 10% of patients still need some form of vision correction.

My friend had it done and said she'd do it again...went from barely being able to see without contacts in to nearly perfect vision.

My brother and dad have had it done. My brother no longer needs contacts and has near perfect vision, my dad only needs reading glasses (he also had cataracts, so he had worse eyes) after needing coke bottle glasses for everything.

My optometrist has recommended to me that I get LASIK soon, which I would if it were covered by insurance. That's partially because it's her specialty.

I'd recommend it if you think it'd help.

I had it done in May of last year. Went from unable to function without my glasses, to 20/15 vision. Biggest downside is my eyes are extremely dry - getting better, but it was really bad for about 6 months after the operation. I've always had dry eyes, though, so YMMV. The surgery is incredibly quick, but pretty frightening. You basically can't move at all during the procedure.

Overall, I would do it again. Having great vision without contacts or glasses is worth it to me, without a doubt.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 15, 2013 -> 04:47 PM)
What's the difference between Lasik and Lasix?

LASIK is a type of laser guided surgery that corrects refractive error within the cornea - thus correcting nearsightedness or farsightedness.

Lasix is the brand name for the diuretic furosemide, named such because it lasts six hours (lasix = lasts six), a medication commonly used for congestive heart failure or hypertension

I fear that my vision would continue to get worse. Not sure if that is legitimate concern or not. What's the point of correcting my vision from -4.0 to perfect in both eyes if I'll gradually just start working back up to -.50, -1.0, etc?

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 16, 2013 -> 12:31 AM)
I fear that my vision would continue to get worse. Not sure if that is legitimate concern or not. What's the point of correcting my vision from -4.0 to perfect in both eyes if I'll gradually just start working back up to -.50, -1.0, etc?

You're not really recommended to get it unless your vision is currently stable (no prescription changes in a couple years).

I had it done 7 years ago and I'm really happy with it. I don't even remember what life was like with glasses anymore.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 15, 2013 -> 06:31 PM)

Your eyes should be done changing at that point.

When my doctor recommended it to me, it was because my eyes are no longer changing over a long period of time.

See, what my doctor had told me is that there is a period in the middle of people's lives where it is common for the changes to stop....but the vision changes would come back at some point as you age.

Mine has been stable for a while, so it seems like if I didn't do it soon (ie in the next ten years, which ins't THAT soon lol) I'd be wasting my time.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Sep 15, 2013 -> 06:21 PM)
LASIK is a type of laser guided surgery that corrects refractive error within the cornea - thus correcting nearsightedness or farsightedness.

Lasix is the brand name for the diuretic furosemide, named such because it lasts six hours (lasix = lasts six), a medication commonly used for congestive heart failure or hypertension

Hmm. So what does Lasix do in those six hours to help horses ran faster?

Something to be aware of... not sure if this still the case, but it was a few years ago...

For any federal government job that has a minimum vision requirement (by Snellen rating), if you have had any kind of corrective eye surgery including Lasik, you are automatically disqualified.

May not be the case anymore, but something to consider, if that is a future career path for you. Most jobs don't have a vision requirement, but some do, particularly in law enforcement.

• 7 months later...

I had surgery a couple of months ago, I would do it again. I've worn glasses or contacts since I was about 12 years old, I'm in my mid 40s now and it's just so awesome to wake up to perfect vision. My eyesight was pretty bad too and now I don't need to worry about contacts or glasses.

The price of the surgery was pretty cheap too, it was 5,500 pesos, which is about $440 US dollars, had my surgery done in San Luis Potosi, Mexico with a very reputable eye doctor. On the day of the surgery, we drove from Queretaro to SLP (about a two hour drive), got there around 9 in the morning, they ran a few tests and had some eye drops put in my eyes and the doctor told me to come back in a couple of hours for my surgery, the tests took about half an hour so me and my family went to get breakfast at a restaurant and took in some sights, well they did, I was as blind as a bat since you can't wear contacts or glasses during this period. Got back around noon, got prepped for the surgery and was in and out in an hour. Surgery takes about 3-4 minutes per eye. It's only natural you get nervous but just try to relax. It wasn't painful at all. My eyes felt dry afterwards but the doctor gave me some eye drops for that. No issues since then and I'm 100% satisfied with the results.

Tex, I highly recommend it, hopefully you have insurance covering that, you shouldn't be paying upwards of a thousand bucks if you can get that procedure done at more than half the price just south of the border, IMO. PM me if you want more info on where I got my surgery, this doctor has a very good reputation, there was another couple from the US in the waiting room so obviously the word gotten around. He also has a clinic in Monterrey, that's only a couple of hours from the Texas/US border, too.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

My vision is still in a state of change. Went from -0.50 / -0.50 to -0.75 / -1.00 over the past 2 years. I tried the contact thing last time, along with glasses, and I could never see as well with the contacts (it fixed my vision, just not as clearly as the glasses did), so this time I just went with a pair of Nike Vision prescription sunglasses with color changing lenses as a compromise. Now I can wear them in the office or at a sports game and I'm all set.