Vote Harrelson for the Ford C. Frick award

Balta1701

Hawk deserves it. I'll never understand the hate, especially from White Sox fans. He ticks me off sometimes with his umpire ripping and when he still takes some shots at Jerry Manuel, but I love him. It will be a sad day when he's gone if he's replaced by one of these so-called "professional" broadcasters Hawk's haters seem to love.

Whether people want to admit it or not, the way they watch and evaluate a game these days is heavily influenced by Hawk's views the past 25 years. If the next guy coming in is a Len Kasper type, the baseball IQ of a typical Sox fan will drop tremendously.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 18, 2013 -> 10:35 AM)
Hawk deserves it. I'll never understand the hate, especially from White Sox fans. He ticks me off sometimes with his umpire ripping and when he still takes some shots at Jerry Manuel, but I love him. It will be a sad day when he's gone if he's replaced by one of these so-called "professional" broadcasters Hawk's haters seem to love.

Whether people want to admit it or not, the way they watch and evaluate a game these days is heavily influenced by Hawk's views the past 25 years. If the next guy coming in is a Len Kasper type, the baseball IQ of a typical Sox fan will drop tremendously.

You must not listen to the same Len Kasper I do, because I find his broadcasts very insightful. It's refreshing to hear an announcer not be afraid to include modern stats with old school baseball basics.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 18, 2013 -> 10:18 AM)
No matter what you think of the guy today, you really can't deny the body of work, IMO. It is like voting against Hank Aaron for the HOF because .229 with 10 homers in 1976.

Agreed 100%. Nobody denied it, yet the name-calling began anyway.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 18, 2013 -> 10:48 AM)
Agreed 100%. Nobody denied it, yet the name-calling began anyway.

I think the problem is Hawk is a love/hate thing. There is no one who feels "meh" about Hawk. When he comes up, people climbs right back into their trenches and get back to war.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 18, 2013 -> 10:18 AM)
No matter what you think of the guy today, you really can't deny the body of work, IMO. It is like voting against Hank Aaron for the HOF because .229 with 10 homers in 1976.

What about not having the all-time hits leader in a Hall of Fame and likely never letting in the single-season and all-time HR leader in the HoF?

The Hall of Fame is a joke.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 18, 2013 -> 10:57 AM)
What about not having the all-time hits leader in a Hall of Fame and likely never letting in the single-season and all-time HR leader in the HoF?

The Hall of Fame is a joke.

There's men who were open members of the Ku Klux Klan in the Hall of Fame, but betting on baseball NO WAY!

Attempted murder? In the Hall of Fame!

Drug smuggling? Hall of Fame!

Drunk on the playing field? Hall of Fame!

High on the playing field? Hall of Fame!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/09/sports/b...ed=all&_r=0

The Baseball Hall of Fame is a pile of stinking s***.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 18, 2013 -> 04:35 PM)

He gets on my nerves sometimes but he doesn't say anything that we haven't here on Soxtalk. Plus he has been around since dirt as he reminds us at least two or there times a broadcast :hawk: :lol:

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 18, 2013 -> 11:00 AM)
There's men who were open members of the Ku Klux Klan in the Hall of Fame, but betting on baseball NO WAY!

Attempted murder? In the Hall of Fame!

Drug smuggling? Hall of Fame!

Drunk on the playing field? Hall of Fame!

High on the playing field? Hall of Fame!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/09/sports/b...ed=all&_r=0

The Baseball Hall of Fame is a pile of stinking s***.

The sanctity of the 1st ballot kills me. Ten or twelve assholes didn't vote for Ripken or Gwynn, why? Because no one is good enough for 100%? Same with Nolan Ryan, missing six votes or so. That's ridiculous horses*** by a bunch of old man trying to act like they matter.

I like awards to have integrity. Awards that are a joke like GG's annoy me. If i vote for hawk, i feel like I'm furthering degradation of the integrity of the award. Hawk is a lousy ass announcer tbh. I'm getting tired of him living in hyperbole land where there are guys every single game that are "the best he ever saw" at something. Gets annoying and you know he is talking out of his ass.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Sep 18, 2013 -> 11:04 AM)
Just to clear something up. Ford C. Frick Award winners are not inducted into the Hall of Fame and are not considered "Hall of Famers". They just get their name on a fancy plaque and get to give a speech on Hall of Fame induction day.

Sure - but to vote I had to "like" that facebook page, which I couldn't bring myself to do.