A facebook "like" is free speech

southsider2k5

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2013/09/18/court-...dment/?mod=e2fb

“Liking” something on Facebook is a form of speech protected by the First Amendment, a federal appeals court ruled Wednesday, reviving a closely watched case over the extent to which the Constitution shields what we say on social media.

The Fourth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said former sheriff’s deputies in Hampton, Va., can sue the city’s sheriff for allegedly firing them in retaliation for “liking” the Facebook page of another candidate for his office.

More at link

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 18, 2013 -> 10:37 AM)
That seems obvious to me. Did it really need to go to a Federal appeals court?

What had to go to court was the question regarding the firing of those deputies. In answering that question, the court(s) had to answer the question of "likes". When people point to how small the Constitution is, they fail to mention that these court ruling are as much a part of the document as what Jefferson, et. al. wrote.

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 19, 2013 -> 08:22 PM)
For the Constitutional originalists, I wonder what the Founding Fathers had to say about "likes" and electronic communication via social media.

I think theyd give an old fashioned real life thumbs up.

But they would also likely condemn facebook for not offering a thumbs down option. As criticism is important