Chris Sale and wasted effort

Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 23, 2013 -> 03:06 PM)
I think there are a bunch of guys lumped at the top. Sale should be top 3, but I won't feel ripped off when he doesn't win it. I just hope he land sin the the top 5 somewhere so people will think to look at his numbers.

I think the voters are willing to overlook W/L record if all the other numbers blow everyone else away. There are too many guys having similar seasons to Sale for the voters to ignore W/L. That being said, I agree with you 100%. Should be top 3 will probably be 4-5.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

Frankly, I think it would be more lucky than anything else and, conversely, he has been unlucky to go 11-13. Here are some of his lines from games he has gotten a ND or a L.

7.1 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 5 K (ND, Sox won 2-1)

8 IP, 6 H, 0 ER (2 R), 1 BB, 14 K (L, Sox lost 2-1)

8 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 13 K (ND, Sox won 5-4)

8 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 1 BB, 10 K (L, Sox lost 4-0)

7 IP, 6 H, 2 ER (3 R), 1 BB, 9 K (L, Sox lost 3-0)

8 IP, 7 H, 2 ER (4 R), 3 BB, 11 K (L, Sox lost 7-3)

9 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 7 K (L, Sox lost 1-0)

7.1 IP, 5 H, 2 ER (3 R), 1 BB, 6 K (ND, Sox lost 6-4)

7.2 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 7 K (ND, Sox lost 7-6)

There were a few others he could have won (had a 6 IP, 1 R outing against Oakland that I didn't mention), but I wanted to make a point to show how many times he pitched through at least the 7th inning and still got a no decision or loss. With run support and/or better defense, it's safe to say that he wins at least 7 of those. If we give him 3 ND's and 4 of those losses, he is at 18-9.

Because he's 11-13, does it reflect on how he's pitched this year? What more could he have done in these games to get himself a win?

Edited by witesoxfan