SI on Paulie and our lousy future

Tannerfan

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This article made me really sad... not about our future as a club, but sad that I'm never going to get to chant "Paulie" again. He's been part of the White Sox for the VAST majority of my fan-dom, and it's really weird to think he'll be gone after this week. :/

QUOTE (Reddy @ Sep 19, 2013 -> 11:21 PM)
This article made me really sad... not about our future as a club, but sad that I'm never going to get to chant "Paulie" again. He's been part of the White Sox for the VAST majority of my fan-dom, and it's really weird to think he'll be gone after this week. :/

You're lucky we don't have a single player named "Paul" in our minor league system.

I wish I knew if Sox have hit bottom yet. Miami probably has. Houston? Probably not. Cubs? I hope not.

SI might have been over the top on the farm system, since Sox had several positive surprises this year (Semian, the Johnson boys. Beck, Goldberg, etc). Who's to say that a couple more might rise from the ashes in 2014. I wish the author would have put more blame on KW, but after re-reading it, he didn't have to. It's obvious.

Konerko? I think he should retire. Dunn? That is one of Hahn's dilemmas -- what to do with him, but I hope he is gone, too. I would rather have Andy Wilkins at first base next year.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Sep 20, 2013 -> 07:19 AM)
I wish I knew if Sox have hit bottom yet. Miami probably has. Houston? Probably not. Cubs? I hope not.

SI might have been over the top on the farm system, since Sox had several positive surprises this year (Semian, the Johnson boys. Beck, Goldberg, etc). Who's to say that a couple more might rise from the ashes in 2014. I wish the author would have put more blame on KW, but after re-reading it, he didn't have to. It's obvious.

Konerko? I think he should retire. Dunn? That is one of Hahn's dilemmas -- what to do with him, but I hope he is gone, too. I would rather have Andy Wilkins at first base next year.

If the Sox are going to attempt to compete next year - and they most certainly will - then you need Dunn on the roster. Even if he only adds 1-2 WAR, you simply aren't going to be able to reproduce what he does and what he means for the lineup. Personally, I'd prefer he hit 6th.

If you just DFA Dunn (won't happen), then you are eating $15 million just to be done with him. You do this with players like Milton Bradley, who stop producing and are a distraction both in and out of the clubhouse. Dunn is a consummate citizen and teammate, and that he can hit a ball 500 feet only helps.

If you trade Dunn, you are going to need to eat money. That's dead money for the club, preventing them from signing someone, losing production, and you will get virtually nothing in return.

---

Dunn only had one year left on his deal. There's a very, very good chance he's not brought back. People need to relax and let it play out, because the Sox aren't just flat out going to get rid of him.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 20, 2013 -> 09:41 AM)
If the Sox are going to attempt to compete next year - and they most certainly will - then you need Dunn on the roster. Even if he only adds 1-2 WAR, you simply aren't going to be able to reproduce what he does and what he means for the lineup. Personally, I'd prefer he hit 6th.

He also needs to never, or at least almost never, play 1b.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 20, 2013 -> 09:33 AM)
How have his numbers been as a DH? I thought someone mentioned he's hit much better for us while playing 1B.

Doesn't matter though. He offers a negative defensive value. Is there the Sox would sign McCann and Abreu and just keep Dunn too for a year? Now that's some thump. Then Dunn could definitely hit 6th.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 20, 2013 -> 09:52 AM)
Doesn't matter though. He offers a negative defensive value. Is there the Sox would sign McCann and Abreu and just keep Dunn too for a year? Now that's some thump. Then Dunn could definitely hit 6th.

Is it more negative than the drop off of his offense?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 20, 2013 -> 10:00 AM)
Is it more negative than the drop off of his offense?

I don't think his offense is that big of a drop as the DH though is it? He cannot play anywhere on defense. It destroys his value. If he hits 35-40 bombs, walks close to 100 times and strikes out a ton it is fine at DH. At 1B, his defense is so bad that he's a negative WAR player.

Worse than finishing with baseball's poorest record overall in a given season is finishing with baseball's poorest record among teams that actually thought they might win.

Only complete morons could have looked at this roster and thought the White Sox would win anything this year.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 20, 2013 -> 10:10 AM)
Only complete morons could have looked at this roster and thought the White Sox would win anything this year.

Pretty much all of Soxtalk then

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=88092

This has been an incredibly disappointing season, but much of it has to do with injuries, guys playing below their talent level, a surprisingly bad defense, players not developing and growing, and age (in only 1 instance). There were not a lot of signs for this demise, so no, people were not "complete morons" thinking this team would compete.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 20, 2013 -> 10:20 AM)
Pretty much all of Soxtalk then

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=88092

This has been an incredibly disappointing season, but much of it has to do with injuries, guys playing below their talent level, a surprisingly bad defense, players not developing and growing, and age (in only 1 instance). There were not a lot of signs for this demise, so no, people were not "complete morons" thinking this team would compete.

So no one went under the 73-76 bracket, and there were only 3 in there. Only 5 of 74 picked anything below .500. Even Marty said 78 and Soxfest 81, two of the biggest negatives out there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 20, 2013 -> 04:25 PM)
So no one went under the 73-76 bracket, and there were only 3 in there. Only 5 of 74 picked anything below .500. Even Marty said 78 and Soxfest 81, two of the biggest negatives out there.

Ok. So I skewed it when I predicted 162 wins :lol: :bringit

There is always next season

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 20, 2013 -> 08:41 AM)

How do you define "compete"? As far as Dunn is concerned, his going would represent a clean start which would be a good thing.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 20, 2013 -> 10:50 AM)
How do you define "compete"? As far as Dunn is concerned, his going would represent a clean start which would be a good thing.

Compete, as in winning 85 games and being competitive.

Please expound on this "clean start," because frankly it doesn't make sense to me. I could just as easily say letting go of Paul Konerko does that too, but that doesn't cost anything. Getting rid of Dunn creates dead money when there are no suitable replacements lined up. It's a bad idea.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 20, 2013 -> 10:52 AM)

Please expound on this "clean start," because frankly it doesn't make sense to me. I could just as easily say letting go of Paul Konerko does that too, but that doesn't cost anything. Getting rid of Dunn creates dead money when there are no suitable replacements lined up. It's a bad idea.

Unless you get a quality return for Dunn, there is no reason for him to go anywhere.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 20, 2013 -> 10:52 AM)

Winning 85 games gets you nothing. I'd prefer any goal to that of being "competitive"

Don't saddle the fans that go to the park with one more year of Dunn striking out it's not aesthetically pleasing baseball to see a guy who is not part of your future plans swing-and-miss so often.

Edited by Marty34