SI on Paulie and our lousy future

Tannerfan

QUOTE (scs787 @ Sep 21, 2013 -> 12:02 AM)
Fixed. The Sox look to be in good shape pitching wise from top to bottom.

Until Sale goes down. And it will Happen. And even then I laugh at the notion that this is a "championship" staff. Rays >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sox.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Sep 21, 2013 -> 12:17 AM)
All those games where Leyland decided to let him go 120+ pitches may be catching up to him. I wouldn't be shocked to see him fall off like Zito did.

Prince is just unhealthy and once he's out of his prime he'll be done.

Well, they still won the division with ease. And what you're selling sounds like hope, not reality. Kinda like Rowand. "The Bulls will win the championship." lol. They can

t even see the Nets or Pacers, let alone LeBron. The Sox are bad and boring.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 21, 2013 -> 12:08 AM)
Are any of those 3 projected to start sucking? Seems to me they are still in their primes. We can hope they start to stink but I wouldn't bank on it for a while. Also not to cheap shot Robin, but they have a pretty darn good, LaRussa-type manager.

Miguel Cabrera is banged up badly right now and having a September worthy of te white sox, hitting .224 and a sub .700 Ops. He should have hit the DL a couple weeks ago. His body is reaching the point where he can't play 3b for a full season already.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 21, 2013 -> 12:54 AM)
Until Sale goes down. And it will Happen. And even then I laugh at the notion that this is a "championship" staff. Rays >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sox.

Well, they still won the division with ease. And what you're selling sounds like hope, not reality. Kinda like Rowand. "The Bulls will win the championship." lol. They can

Really? You're bringing your bulls*** into here now?

I make awful predictions every year but mine destroy yours when it comes to the NBA yet you continue to talk down to people. Keep it up buddy.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 21, 2013 -> 12:54 AM)

Even when they are decent, they are boring.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 21, 2013 -> 09:54 AM)
Hopefully the Tigers don't sign Cano this offseason.

Let them. They'd rapidly be in luxury tax territory, they'd literally destroy the Yankees for a couple years until they could pull off what the Dodgers did this year with salary dumps, and they'd be begging to clear contracts out by 2015.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2013 -> 02:28 PM)
Let them. They'd rapidly be in luxury tax territory, they'd literally destroy the Yankees for a couple years until they could pull off what the Dodgers did this year with salary dumps, and they'd be begging to clear contracts out by 2015.

If the Tigers get Cano, there's no reason in my opinion for the Sox to even try to compete the next two years (by that, I mean considering someone like McCann). However, you plan to try and be maturing as a team in 2016 or so when they would be getting old.

If the Sox take care of their own s***, the Tigers won't matter. Players don't have the careers they're supposed to as often as you think. Guys break out randomly and they decline sharply when something goes wrong.

The Sox are in LAST PLACE. We need to get good, not worry about Detroit getting bad.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 21, 2013 -> 10:43 AM)
If the Tigers get Cano, there's no reason in my opinion for the Sox to even try to compete the next two years (by that, I mean considering someone like McCann). However, you plan to try and be maturing as a team in 2016 or so when they would be getting old.

If you've paid attention to Detroit's stats this year, they're already showing hints of getting old. They're going to have to keep throwing money at that team every year to keep this level of performance up.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2013 -> 02:53 PM)
If you've paid attention to Detroit's stats this year, they're already showing hints of getting old. They're going to have to keep throwing money at that team every year to keep this level of performance up.

Outside of Prince and Verlander, who else is showing signs (honest question, as I haven't checked out the detailed stats for their players outside of OPS of late)? For as much as Verlander has declined, Sanchez has improved.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 21, 2013 -> 10:57 AM)
Outside of Prince and Verlander, who else is showing signs? For as much as Verlander has declined, Sanchez has improved.

Cabrera also. Like I just said, his body is falling apart at 3b and in September it finally caught up to him with the bat. He should have gone on the 15 day DL a couple weeks ago but hey, gotta try to win those stat titles.

On top of that, VMart and Cabrera are free agents at the end of next year, everyone can see Torii Hunter's age, and Austin Jackson is way down from last year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 21, 2013 -> 02:59 PM)
Cabrera also. Like I just said, his body is falling apart at 3b and in September it finally caught up to him with the bat. He should have gone on the 15 day DL a couple weeks ago but hey, gotta try to win those stat titles.

On top of that, VMart and Cabrera are free agents at the end of next year, everyone can see Torii Hunter's age, and Austin Jackson is way down from last year.

Which is why I said 2016 should be for when the Sox are aiming to peak, IMO. To me, if the Tigers got Cano, there would be too much of a talent gap to overcome the next few years until their superstars are no longer superstars.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 21, 2013 -> 11:01 AM)
Which is why I said 2016 should be for when the Sox are aiming to peak, IMO. To me, if the Tigers got Cano, there would be too much of a talent gap to overcome the next few years until their superstars are no longer superstars.

Let me say it this way then...I think that exact same thing could have been said about the Athletics and Angels over the last 2 seasons.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 21, 2013 -> 09:43 AM)

Wild card?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 20, 2013 -> 11:54 PM)

At what point does this meme begin to fade? One could literally say this about ANY stud pitcher in this day and age with a certain degree of accuracy. It's been my observation that in most cases, such a calamity would have already happened if it were likely.

400+ innings of awesome over two years say otherwise. I no longer fear the inverted W.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Sep 22, 2013 -> 06:55 PM)
At what point does this meme begin to fade? One could literally say this about ANY stud pitcher in this day and age with a certain degree of accuracy. It's been my observation that in most cases, such a calamity would have already happened if it were likely.

400+ innings of awesome over two years say otherwise. I no longer fear the inverted W.

Great point. You really can say this about any pitcher. Great post.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 20, 2013 -> 11:28 PM)
I agree with greg here. Verlander, Miggy and Prince are 3 of the best in the world. It's totally loser thinking to sit back and wait for them to get worse in order for the sox to get better. Sounds like Bulls fans - "No, we're not really better, but Wade's knees are going to give out at some point. Then we've got 'em!!!" Lame.

Prince Fielder has an .830 OPS. Best in the world.

Verlander's ERA, walks, and homers are up, and his groundball percentage, strikeouts, and velocity are down. At best, he's been the 3rd best Tigers starter. Best in the world.

Oh yeah, these guys are beginning to leave their prime years too and the Tigers have them locked up for at least the next 6 seasons.

And if you want proof of Fielder falling off, just look at his father.

Cabrera is different because he is much more hitter than any of these other guys. I expect, if anything, for him to transform into a Frank Thomas type as he ages, where he begins to strictly hit for more power when his bat speed slows down. Perhaps he becomes an average hitter rather than power. Either way, I do expect him to age well.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 23, 2013 -> 09:29 AM)
Cabrera is different because he is much more hitter than any of these other guys. I expect, if anything, for him to transform into a Frank Thomas type as he ages, where he begins to strictly hit for more power when his bat speed slows down. Perhaps he becomes an average hitter rather than power. Either way, I do expect him to age well.

I'd expect your right with one big caveat...

he has to move to either 1b or preferably DH to do so. Like Frank.

He's going to be destroyed at 3b and you can already see it happening the last 2 years. More and more injuries piling up by the time August/September roll around.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 23, 2013 -> 08:33 AM)
I'd expect your right with one big caveat...

he has to move to either 1b or preferably DH to do so. Like Frank.

He's going to be destroyed at 3b and you can already see it happening the last 2 years. More and more injuries piling up by the time August/September roll around.

Oh I agree, which is what you'll see happen next year. There's no way they bring Victor back, even as good as he's been.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 23, 2013 -> 09:45 AM)
You're right, he is. If nothing else, they should look to trade him because I agree, Cabrera won't stay healthy at 3B. Too much wear and tear on his body.

I know he's on a winning team but that's going to be a tough deal to get done. Basically a DH, .785 OPS on the season, owed $13 million next year.

Effectively that's a tiny, tiny step up from trying to trade Adam Dunn.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 23, 2013 -> 08:51 AM)
I know he's on a winning team but that's going to be a tough deal to get done. Basically a DH, .785 OPS on the season, owed $13 million next year.

Effectively that's a tiny, tiny step up from trying to trade Adam Dunn.

They can sell the idea that he can still play a bit of catcher though.