Massive overnight shooting at Southside Chicago park

knightni

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 23, 2013 -> 02:07 PM)
If we could disarm only the bad guys and leave guns in the hands of my Dear Aunt Sally who likes a fresh squirrel now and then, would that be ok?

Your specific question was what happens when the bad guys are equally well armed to the good guys.

Stop allowing the bad guys to buy the same weapons the good guys have, stop manufacturing them, stop selling them, destroy them whenever they can be found.

Furthermore, start tracking them. Make them actual contraband. Investigate places selling illegal guns, make sure they know what is in their stockroom. Of course, that ought to happen with gun stores anyway but we can't even make sure gun stores know what is in their stockroom or find out which places are supplying most of the guns used in crimes because freedom.

No I can't get rid of them all. But "I can't get rid of every stupid assault rifle" doesn't mean people wont' be saved by trying.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 23, 2013 -> 01:37 PM)
Your specific question was what happens when the bad guys are equally well armed to the good guys.

Stop allowing the bad guys to buy the same weapons the good guys have, stop manufacturing them, stop selling them, destroy them whenever they can be found.

Furthermore, start tracking them. Make them actual contraband. Investigate places selling illegal guns, make sure they know what is in their stockroom. Of course, that ought to happen with gun stores anyway but we can't even make sure gun stores know what is in their stockroom or find out which places are supplying most of the guns used in crimes because freedom.

No I can't get rid of them all. But "I can't get rid of every stupid assault rifle" doesn't mean people wont' be saved by trying.

Criminals can't have guns to begin with, that's already on the books.

As odd as it feels, martial law in Chicago makes sense. There's such an open disregard for the law that you could call it an insurrection that needs to be put down. Tell people they have 48 hours to leave then waste it.

Two big problems:

1. THAT IS SO RACIST AHHHHHHHHH

2. You can't seriously trust the government to not abuse that precedent whenever possible to establish a police state

This will sound crazy, but one of the most shortsighted moves the government made was by dissolving the leadership of these gangs, especially where the violence is most concentrated, between the GD's and BD's. When these gangs had strong leadership, they were governed by their own codes, rules and standards. There were real repercussions to breaking these rules. Now, there's no leadership and no structure. At one time, these gangs were pretty tight run organizations. Lawmakers were naive in thinking they could eliminate gangs. The reality is that these are multigenerational organizations that the members identify with before anything else. The number of gangbangers has only increased and now, with no leadership, you're left rogues and renegades who have grown even more violent. It worked with the mafia, but honestly the mafia had nothing on these guys. The entire scale is completely different.

Unfortunately, there is no short term solution to quell the violence. I'm sure as hell not smart enough to come up with one. Actually, I do know. It starts with legalizing drugs and robbing the gangs of their purpose, to secure areas to sell the drugs. Take away their funding.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Sep 23, 2013 -> 05:27 PM)
As odd as it feels, martial law in Chicago makes sense. There's such an open disregard for the law that you could call it an insurrection that needs to be put down. Tell people they have 48 hours to leave then waste it.

Two big problems:

1. THAT IS SO RACIST AHHHHHHHHH

2. You can't seriously trust the government to not abuse that precedent whenever possible to establish a police state

You're absolutely crazy and it may be one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Sep 23, 2013 -> 08:22 PM)
This will sound crazy, but one of the most shortsighted moves the government made was by dissolving the leadership of these gangs, especially where the violence is most concentrated, between the GD's and BD's. When these gangs had strong leadership, they were governed by their own codes, rules and standards. There were real repercussions to breaking these rules. Now, there's no leadership and no structure. At one time, these gangs were pretty tight run organizations. Lawmakers were naive in thinking they could eliminate gangs. The reality is that these are multigenerational organizations that the members identify with before anything else. The number of gangbangers has only increased and now, with no leadership, you're left rogues and renegades who have grown even more violent. It worked with the mafia, but honestly the mafia had nothing on these guys. The entire scale is completely different.

Unfortunately, there is no short term solution to quell the violence. I'm sure as hell not smart enough to come up with one. Actually, I do know. It starts with legalizing drugs and robbing the gangs of their purpose, to secure areas to sell the drugs. Take away their funding.

This is one of the more introspective looks into this that I've seen.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 23, 2013 -> 01:08 PM)
This is hitting all parts of the city. Not to the magnitude of the shooting last week.

If Rahm can get money from the American people, this all can be covered with a saturation of police coverage.

Much Better!