Ventura wants to stay

Soxfest

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Robin wants to continue on, he better be willing to change some. If his team is a defensive joke again next season, his ass better be on the line. The guy wants to manage long-term? Well then ... he better not fail miserably again with a team that appeared to (on paper) have a chance at contending.

He's blessed with some starting pitching, but his defense sucked and his hitting sucked. If he's dissatisfied with the direction of our hitting, then make the tough decision and get rid of Manto. If he's dissatisfied with the defense, then f***ing do something about it in the spring and GET IT FIXED. Ditto the baserunning.

OK Robin, we have you another year. Or 2, 3, 4. I will not say we're stuck with you. But starting Opening Day you should be on the clock FOR IMPROVEMENT, SIR!!!

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 20, 2013 -> 04:59 PM)
He gets one more year at the very least. Ozzie had a year like this and they won a division the next season.

Remind me what year that was again when Ozzie won 60?

It must be nice when the non-performing employee get to decide whether he stays or not.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 22, 2013 -> 05:25 PM)
The ability to focus is a skill and goes into player evaluation.

And yet in more than a few cases the exact same players made significantly more bonehead, unfocused, idiotic plays in 2013 than they made in 2012 while playing for the same manager. Same guy, different results.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Sep 22, 2013 -> 05:33 PM)
Personally this year doesn't bother me nearly as much as a 75-80 win season would have. Nice to get a top 3 pick in the draft, get rid of some salary at the deadline and reboot for next year.

It's more the "How" for me. I wouldn't be nearly as angry about being here if guys had been hurt like they were early in the year and that kept going the whole year to create a 60 win team. It's the idiocy. It's the lack of focus. If I diagrammed a blueprint of "what a team looks like when its manager gave up before the season started", this would be it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 22, 2013 -> 04:29 PM)
And yet in more than a few cases the exact same players made significantly more bonehead, unfocused, idiotic plays in 2013 than they made in 2012 while playing for the same manager. Same guy, different results.

Let's just say we disagree over the talent level of this roster.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 22, 2013 -> 04:39 PM)
It's more the "How" for me. I wouldn't be nearly as angry about being here if guys had been hurt like they were early in the year and that kept going the whole year to create a 60 win team. It's the idiocy. It's the lack of focus. If I diagrammed a blueprint of "what a team looks like when its manager gave up before the season started", this would be it.

Bad teams play bad baseball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 22, 2013 -> 04:39 PM)

Yesterday the Sox telecast mentioned again how much they went over fundamentals in spring training, and how many times they were out early working on them during the season. Unfortunately, you thinking the Sox did nothing but play drinking games in spring training was incorrect.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 22, 2013 -> 05:44 PM)
Yesterday the Sox telecast mentioned again how much they went over fundamentals in spring training, and how many times they were out early working on them during the season. Unfortunately, you thinking the Sox did nothing but play drinking games in spring training was incorrect.

But you know what?

It didn't work.

Whatever they did do, it was so ineffective that they dragged the entire team out before a game in May to start doing basics like "hitting the cutoff man" again.

So feel free to tell me that they did other things than play drinking games...because the results on the field speak for themselves. This looks like a team where every fundamentals practice in spring training was replaced by a drinking game. Whatever they did, we got stuck with the results. They were a total failure.

Ever think that maybe the reason why they're telling how "man, these guys did so much work on fundamentals" in the spring is that everyone recognizes how poor the actual fundamentals on the field are, so they're covering for people?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 22, 2013 -> 04:51 PM)
But you know what?

It didn't work.

Whatever they did do, it was so ineffective that they dragged the entire team out before a game in May to start doing basics like "hitting the cutoff man" again.

So feel free to tell me that they did other things than play drinking games...because the results on the field speak for themselves. This looks like a team where every fundamentals practice in spring training was replaced by a drinking game. Whatever they did, we got stuck with the results. They were a total failure.

Ever think that maybe the reason why they're telling how "man, these guys did so much work on fundamentals" in the spring is that everyone recognizes how poor the actual fundamentals on the field are, so they're covering for people?

This trade deadline where the Sox could not give their position players away was very telling.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 22, 2013 -> 05:57 PM)
This trade deadline where the Sox could not give their position players away was very telling.

WTF? The position player they needed to trade...they traded.

Oh yeah, wait, this is another complaint about how they didn't release Alexei.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 22, 2013 -> 04:51 PM)
But you know what?

It didn't work.

Why would they have to cover for anyone? The team was bad. As much as you want to make it Ventura's fault, it's not. Roll out the exact same roster next year with a different manager and there won't be much different.

It is weird that you apparently don't think the Sox, close to a billion dollar franchise, want to win. If they thought Robin was the problem, if spring training was what you claim it was, although you admit you weren't there, if he has lost the clubhouse, if he had no clue how to run a game, he would be gone.

As I have stated when the Sox problems according to Soxtalk were all Greg Walkers fault, if you really think Robin is the problem and don't address the real problem, you will be putting the blame on another person not responsible shortly thereafter.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 22, 2013 -> 06:01 PM)
Why would they have to cover for anyone? The team was bad. As much as you want to make it Ventura's fault, it's not. Roll out the exact same roster next year with a different manager and there won't be much different.

It is weird that you apparently don't think the Sox, close to a billion dollar franchise, want to win. If they thought Robin was the problem, if spring training was what you claim it was, although you admit you weren't there, if he has lost the clubhouse, if he had no clue how to run a game, he would be gone.

As I have stated when the Sox problems according to Soxtalk were all Greg Walkers fault, if you really think Robin is the problem and don't address the real problem, you will be putting the blame on another person not responsible shortly thereafter.

We rolled out a scarily similar roster to the one with great fundamentals and 85 wins the previous season. Fine, Konerko finally got old, so that means they should have been a few games worse, and there were a few injuries early, so 78 wins should have been reasonable.

The rest is all people doing worse than they should have.

The best case I can make for how important a manager is for a team is the 2012 white sox. That team should have won 75 games and they won 85 games because they were well-coached and prepared for everything.

This team, with most of the same players, couldn't spell "cutoff man" if they tried, let alone actually throwing the ball to one correctly.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 22, 2013 -> 04:58 PM)
WTF? The position player they needed to trade...they traded.

Oh yeah, wait, this is another complaint about how they didn't release Alexei.

Ramirez, Dunn, nobody wanted them. Rios was a give away when he was being tauted by many in the media and on this message board as "the best bat on the market." You're just upset that your preseason prediction was so off.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 22, 2013 -> 06:05 PM)
Ramirez, Dunn, nobody wanted them. Rios was a give away when he was being tauted by many in the media and on this message board as "the best bat on the market." You're just upset that your preseason prediction was so off.

LOL, this is Greg-worthy.

No one wanted Albert Pujols either. He's complete trash. Obviously. No need to think about their contract status. Pujols's HOF chances are ruined, he should be cut.

Rios got us a pretty solid return altogether particularly when no money was included.

You're just upset that the White Sox still have Cuban players on the roster.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 22, 2013 -> 05:05 PM)
We rolled out a scarily similar roster to the one with great fundamentals and 85 wins the previous season. Fine, Konerko finally got old, so that means they should have been a few games worse, and there were a few injuries early, so 78 wins should have been reasonable.

The rest is all people doing worse than they should have.

The best case I can make for how important a manager is for a team is the 2012 white sox. That team should have won 75 games and they won 85 games because they were well-coached and prepared for everything.

This team, with most of the same players, couldn't spell "cutoff man" if they tried, let alone actually throwing the ball to one correctly.

This team was different. Konerko got old, Beckham and Viciedo got hurt early, There was a new catcher, 3rd baseman, Dunn at 1b. Ramirez has always been an airhead, perhaps being out of it so quickly added to that. I never realized De Aza was that dumb of a player, but he is the only one that you could be surprised with, although he was never elite.for most of the first couplw months, there were 4 out of 5 different position regulars on the infield.

And win totals now are silly. This team dumped Thornton, Crain, Rios and Peavy.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 22, 2013 -> 05:07 PM)
LOL, this is Greg-worthy.

No one wanted Albert Pujols either. He's complete trash. Obviously. No need to think about their contract status. Pujols's HOF chances are ruined, he should be cut.

Rios got us a pretty solid return altogether particularly when no money was included.

You're just upset that the White Sox still have Cuban players on the roster.

You're one of those stat people who when their conclusion is so off the mark they blame the manager instead of their "analysis".

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 22, 2013 -> 06:14 PM)
You're one of those stat people who when their conclusion is so off the mark they blame the manager instead of their "analysis".

Please, tell me then why you believe the quality of fundamental play on the field this year by the Chicago White Sox is at least "acceptable".