Ventura wants to stay

Soxfest

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 22, 2013 -> 05:18 PM)
Please, tell me then why you believe the quality of fundamental play on the field this year by the Chicago White Sox is at least "acceptable".

I never said it was, but bad players don't play fundamentally sound baseball.

Edited by Marty34

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does Robin all of a sudden want to manage forever? If his stance has completely changed, my guess is he'll sign that multi-year extension if it's offered again this offseason.

If we suck defensively and on the basepaths again next year, Robin should be on the hotseat. He probably won't be, though, cause Sox are not going to be in the news much next season if we are out of it in May. My guess is attendance also will take a big hit this time if we suck a second consecutive season.

p.s. To those of you who get mad when I bring up how expensive it is to go to a game, the current edition of ESPN the Mag has an article on best/worst franchises. The BEST FRANCHISES currently (Memphis Grizzlies is No. 1) are ones with very cheap season ticket prices and food prices. ESPN said surveys say AFFORDABILITY is huge now with fans.

Fans don't want to be robbed at their sports venues.

Finally, I'll be at the United Center this year to watch Duke play Kansas in men's college basketball and Kentucky play Michigan State. I have to drive a car to the United Center and not take public transportation. Do you think a.) I'll be mugged or b.) my car will be damaged/stolen? I have to stay a while after the game waiting for a friend who works at the UC. Will I be mugged going back to my vehicle? Thank u for all the answers.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 23, 2013 -> 12:43 AM)
Why does Robin all of a sudden want to manage forever? If his stance has completely changed, my guess is he'll sign that multi-year extension if it's offered again this offseason.

If we suck defensively and on the basepaths again next year, Robin should be on the hotseat. He probably won't be, though, cause Sox are not going to be in the news much next season if we are out of it in May. My guess is attendance also will take a big hit this time if we suck a second consecutive season.

p.s. To those of you who get mad when I bring up how expensive it is to go to a game, the current edition of ESPN the Mag has an article on best/worst franchises. The BEST FRANCHISES currently (Memphis Grizzlies is No. 1) are ones with very cheap season ticket prices and food prices. ESPN said surveys say AFFORDABILITY is huge now with fans.

Finally, I'll be at the United Center this year to watch Duke play Kansas in men's college basketball and Kentucky play Michigan State. I have to drive a car to the United Center and not take public transportation. Do you think a.) I'll be mugged or b.) my car will be damaged/stolen? I have to stay a while after the game waiting for a friend who works at the UC. Will I be mugged going back to my vehicle? Thank u for all the answers.

No. Especially if you're parking at the UC.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2013 -> 11:43 PM)

Time to put you on the ignore list.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Sep 22, 2013 -> 11:41 AM)
Remind me what year that was again when Ozzie won 60?

It must be nice when the non-performing employee get to decide whether he stays or not.

Because there's a huge difference between 62-100 s***ty and 72-90 s***ty? Especially when the Sox actually dealt players away at the deadline this year as opposed to re-signing everybody in 2007 (except like Mackowiak and Iguchi).

There has been an incredible amount of bad luck this year as well as some untimely injuries as well. The idea that Ventura just didn't try this year or perhaps even sat in his office hungover playing on his iPad is silly. By all accounts, the guy cares and works hard, and sometimes it doesn't happen.

Many people here wanted Tom Kelly brought in to manage the Sox at one time or another, yet he lost at least 92 games 4 straight years 1997 through 2000. No one ever questioned his ability to prepare the team.

Not unless somebody from Soxtalk recognized you.

Is this is a serious question? Why would you get mugged? The "dangerous" Chicago is so overblown. It's only like 3 neighborhoods and it's between gang members. The media lies and says gun violence instead of gang violence and people like you think you can't make it to a Bulls game. Oh boy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 23, 2013 -> 08:22 AM)
Did Tom Kelly ever have a team with substantial numbers of veterans play this sloppy?

Did he ever have veterans whose play deteriorated this rapidly from solid to sloppy?

In 1992, they went 90-72 and had a team that played pretty well overall

In 1993, they went 71-91 and the only signficant piece they lost was John Smiley. He saw his veteran players perform far worse that year then they had in the past.

Tom Kelly didn't have a winning season from 1993 through 2000.

I'm actually with Marty on this one, I don't think anyone on the planet could have saved this team. At the end of the day, you prepare your team to the best of your abilities. These guys have made these plays in the past, so why is it suddenly on Ventura when Beckham or Ramirez can't field a grounder? That's like saying it's Ventura's fault when Konerko gets old or when Tyler Flowers strikes out. That's BS.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Sep 23, 2013 -> 08:24 AM)
Is this is a serious question? Why would you get mugged? The "dangerous" Chicago is so overblown. It's only like 3 neighborhoods and it's between gang members. The media lies and says gun violence instead of gang violence and people like you think you can't make it to a Bulls game. Oh boy.

Remember, the Bulls had the longest sellout streak in sports despite a guaranteed mugging on the way back to your car. Just part of the price of admission if you want to take your family to see Benny & the gang.

You're totally gonna get mugged in the land of sprawling parking lots and new condos. That neighborhood is downright scary. They don't call it Chiraq for nothing! :huh:

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 23, 2013 -> 09:39 AM)
In 1992, they went 90-72 and had a team that played pretty well overall

In 1993, they went 71-91 and the only signficant piece they lost was John Smiley. He saw his veteran players perform far worse that year then they had in the past.

Tom Kelly didn't have a winning season from 1993 through 2000.

I'm actually with Marty on this one, I don't think anyone on the planet could have saved this team. At the end of the day, you prepare your team to the best of your abilities. These guys have made these plays in the past, so why is it suddenly on Ventura when Beckham or Ramirez can't field a grounder? That's like saying it's Ventura's fault when Konerko gets old or when Tyler Flowers strikes out. That's BS.

Boom. Lawyered.

I agree 100%, Ventura is not to blame. Crappy play by the players is to blame.

Do you typically get mugged in parking lots of major sports venues? If so, maybe it has to do with what you're wearing or saying.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2013 -> 09:43 PM)

There is a 100% chance that you will be mugged multiple times.

At the old stadium we had the best parking lot. It was small, on the north side of the stadium bertweena street and an autorepair place. The guy who ran the lot was a cop. We would pay an extra $5 for a quick out and he would start our cars for us and have us on the driveway, facing the street, and ready to go. That way we could mug a guy on the way out of the stadium and make a clean getaway.

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 24, 2013 -> 02:18 PM)
At the old stadium we had the best parking lot. It was small, on the north side of the stadium bertweena street and an autorepair place. The guy who ran the lot was a cop. We would pay an extra $5 for a quick out and he would start our cars for us and have us on the driveway, facing the street, and ready to go. That way we could mug a guy on the way out of the stadium and make a clean getaway.

Good idea getting the cops in on it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2013 -> 10:43 PM)

A. Yes. You will be mugged, going back to your car which won't be there anyway because.....

B. Sadly, your call will be stolen too.

C. You might be raped too.

D. Better you stay in Kansas.