Keppinger to have shoulder surgery

southsider2k5

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ Sep 24, 2013 -> 04:26 PM)
Heh what are people's beef with Kepp?

A few months back, Laurence Holmes mentioned how Keppinger is a guy that they need to get out of the clubhouse. He didn't elaborate much at all. He was saying that he was a bad guy that the team didn't like very much.

So, the only place I have seen that Robin "quote" is the SSS Twitter account. That being the case, I am thinking it was not an actual quote. In fact, the tweet doesn't actually attribute to Robin at all, if you look more closely.

Has anyone seen this written anywhere other than SSS? I think they were just joking.

QUOTE (glangon @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 05:35 AM)
I can see him being released in the off-season, best case scenario of sticking him on the 60 day DL and freeing up a 40 man roster spot and releasing him when he struggles to recover from the injury.

The White Sox aren't going to eat $10 million to have somebody not play on the team. This is not their MO. About the most they've ever eaten was like $3.5 million to get Linebrink off the roster in 2011.

Given this surgery, Keppinger is one of about 8 guys you can say will certainly be on the team next year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 08:10 AM)
The White Sox aren't going to eat $10 million to have somebody not play on the team. This is not their MO. About the most they've ever eaten was like $3.5 million to get Linebrink off the roster in 2011.

Given this surgery, Keppinger is one of about 8 guys you can say will certainly be on the team next year.

I wouldn't say that either. I bet them dump him the first chance they get for pretty much nothing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 09:20 AM)
I wouldn't say that either. I bet them dump him the first chance they get for pretty much nothing.

Of course you do. What team in their right mind would take a mediocre utility infielder coming off shoulder surgery for even $5 mill?

Keppinger has less value than Dunn right now

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 09:26 AM)
Of course you do. What team in their right mind would take a mediocre utility infielder coming off shoulder surgery for even $5 mill?

Keppinger has less value than Dunn right now

They will either pick up $$ or a bad contract. Keppinger will not be on this team next year, and it won't happen by release.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 09:43 AM)
They will either pick up $$ or a bad contract. Keppinger will not be on this team next year, and it won't happen by release.

It would have to be a bad contract then. I don't think anybody would take him unless the Sox ate ~$7 mill, and frankly, this is the same exact argument as has been made with Dunn.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 09:53 AM)
It would have to be a bad contract then. I don't think anybody would take him unless the Sox ate ~$7 mill, and frankly, this is the same exact argument as has been made with Dunn.

They really don't like the guy from the sounds of it. They usually don't wait to dump those guys (ask Nick Swisher).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 01:03 PM)
So, the only place I have seen that Robin "quote" is the SSS Twitter account. That being the case, I am thinking it was not an actual quote. In fact, the tweet doesn't actually attribute to Robin at all, if you look more closely.

Has anyone seen this written anywhere other than SSS? I think they were just joking.

I'm glad I'm not only one who thinks that was a joke tweet. No way RV says that, and it reads pretty hilarious.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 10:02 AM)
They really don't like the guy from the sounds of it. They usually don't wait to dump those guys (ask Nick Swisher).

What makes you think they don't like him? I've only seen RV say positive things about his versatility. I've seen no indications they don't like him, though obviously I am sure they didn't like the performance level.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 25, 2013 -> 10:02 AM)

Swisher was a good player though. He had a down year and was disliked. I still hate the guy, but he was really good with the Yankees. Keppinger had a career year with the Rays and even that took a .325 average. He's not a .325 hitter. Realistically, you expect .270/.330/.370 or worse offensively, and he's not a good defender either, regardless of his versatility.

About the only contract I can think of that a team might swap one for one would be Brandon League, and he's getting paid $15 mill over the next two years as opposed to Keppinger's $10. The only way you can do it is if it eats up money in a package deal, in which case you would actually be compensating the other team to take him on by including, in all likelyhood, another prospect.

Even if they don't like him, you sometimes have to deal with the players you sign.

Edited by witesoxfan