Offseason Prospect Rankings Thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 08:23 AM)
John Sickels (Minor League Ball) has Erik Johnson at 67 in his T75 Prospects list, but also says that is probably too low, and a case could be made for as high as the 30's. Marcus Semien an honorable mention, so he's in the 75-100 range there.

I like that people are starting to recognize our pitching.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 10:01 AM)
Sickels has always leaned more heavily on statistical success in the minors than most of the 'pop scouts.'

Hard to ignore Johnson/Semien though, given that they avoided embarrassing themselves at the ML level this year. We might have 2 top 100 guys next year, isn't it exciting? Lol

It'd be 3 with an honorable mention if Garcia and Rienzo were still eligible too, but they're not.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 10:01 AM)
Sickels has always leaned more heavily on statistical success in the minors than most of the 'pop scouts.'

Hard to ignore Johnson/Semien though, given that they avoided embarrassing themselves at the ML level this year. We might have 2 top 100 guys next year, isn't it exciting? Lol

Not arguing with you but based on stats alone, you'd think Johnson and Semien would be ranked even higher.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 01:39 PM)
Garcia yes, Rienzo probably not. A lot of scouts doubt Rienzo's ability to stay in the rotation but I trust our development in pitching more than anything.

Yeah probably not an honorable mention, I was think his overall numbers were better for some reason.

QUOTE (bbilek1 @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 03:28 PM)
Rienzo's ERA month by month in Charlotte.

April: 7.72

Mary: 5.74

June: 2.30

July: 1.23

It's easy to see why you would think that.

Speaking of his terrible two months to start '13, does anyone if he had an injury or was working on something in particular?

I'm guessing he was likely just adjusting to the league itself. He made 1 start in AAA prior to this year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 02:40 PM)
I'm guessing he was likely just adjusting to the league itself. He made 1 start in AAA prior to this year.

Yeah, AR must have figured a few things out at a certain point in AAA - his last ten starts there were outstanding.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 06:23 PM)
Even Cooper has said on the radio that Rienzo has some mechanical issues that might not be fixable -- thus the problems with walks.

stay tuned. Rienzo has considerable work to do before I'd count on him.

You are always such a ray of sunshine

QUOTE (RegionSox @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 02:58 PM)
I didn't get to see much of Rienzo this year, but did anyone see his cutter? I recall hearing at least one scout saying it was a MLB caliber pitch.

Keith Law said that.

He's trying to be too fine, seems maybe a little afraid of early contact. Makes his pitch counts too high. He may be a reliever long-term, but he's got the stamina to be a starter if he can keep the pitch counts down and stop walking as many guys.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 01:23 PM)
Keith Law said that.

He's trying to be too fine, seems maybe a little afraid of early contact. Makes his pitch counts too high. He may be a reliever long-term, but he's got the stamina to be a starter if he can keep the pitch counts down and stop walking as many guys.

He needs to talk to Mariano Rivera about that cutter and his curve is ML caliber too. His slider and change are so so.

QUOTE (winninguglyin83 @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 08:06 PM)
Seems that Semien should be ranked higher.

Hard to question his numbers.

What about Micah? Need to do more at a higher level?

Semien doesn't have unreal tools and had a relatively quick rise from okay prospect that was a possible utility guy to a guy that was hitting like a legit top of the order hitter. Makes sense that there would be some pause.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 09:59 PM)
Semien doesn't have unreal tools and had a relatively quick rise from okay prospect that was a possible utility guy to a guy that was hitting like a legit top of the order hitter. Makes sense that there would be some pause.

It's not like he came out of no where though, he's hit at every level.