Konerko to address media this afternoon

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 04:05 PM)
He said nothing that had not been reported earlier this is non news.

It was basically mentioned that this meeting would be exactly what it was. When Paulie retires, there will be a huge formal press conference called by the White Sox, and we will know what it is about in advance. Greg was right again. He was doing this because he gets asked about this multiple times daily and it was only going to get worse the final days of the season. Now the press knows they won't get a different answer.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 04:10 PM)
It was basically mentioned that this meeting would be exactly what it was. When Paulie retires, there will be a huge formal press conference called by the White Sox, and we will know what it is about in advance. Greg was right again. He was doing this because he gets asked about this multiple times daily and it was only going to get worse the final days of the season. Now the press knows they won't get a different answer.

And all he had to say was, "I'm going to take a month to decide after the season, period." right after a game or right before the game. And I guarantee the reporters would've left him alone about it because everyone respects him.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 04:42 PM)
Good for him. I like that he may be putting loyalty over the quest for another ring.

Loyalty or comfort. He knows these fans. These fans know him. They know what the expectations are going to be. If he goes to New York, they may be unreasonable with an aging slugger, and if he goes to Miami, he's not going to be playing in front of anybody.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 04:22 PM)
And all he had to say was, "I'm going to take a month to decide after the season, period." right after a game or right before the game. And I guarantee the reporters would've left him alone about it because everyone respects him.

That is what he did, but instead of doing it one on one everyday, he just did it for the group once. He is probably going to retire, and when he does the team is going to make it a lot bigger deal than this meeting.

I'd be receptive to PK as a pinch hitter extraordinaire/platoon/injury reserve, especially if it is on the cheap as he has suggested. He basically said that he just doesn't want the worst season of his career (both individually and for the team) to be his last if he can help it. It seems like he realizes that his body may not hold up as a full-time player anyway.

As to "why wait?" Sometimes as you are grinding mentally and physically, it is extremely easy to get very negative. Winning seems impossible, hitting seems difficult, your body feels like it'll never be the same....but then after you're away and rested for a while, you start to reevaluate. Your legs/back/wrist/whatever come back and feel a little more like normal, you start getting these competitive impulses, and you realize you're not ready to go.

...or those things don't happen and then you retire, knowing that you made the right choice.

QUOTE (wallyburger @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 04:30 PM)
I am sensing he is too classy to do a never ending Mariano Rivera tour of the league farewell.

Glad you said that. I think Mariano was way over the top in his bye bye tour, as was the media. It got to be really nauseating, not that he wasn't a great pitcher. I thought Helton handled his retirement perfectly

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 10:40 PM)
So winning another ring is not a priority to him.

Are you saying that as a negative toward Paulie? He mentioned family a few times. Unless I'm mistaken he said his kids love Chicago and he won't be moving.

The interview was very low key and he talked in a conversational tone. He was very honest saying he's talked to a lot of players about it and said something like there's 40 reasons to retire; 40 reasons to return.

Anybody dissing Paulie ought to listen to the interview. He was humble. He said he's always been a player who deserved playing time. He said that might not be the case next season and that is a thing that would bother him. He said a lot of things. It sounds to me like he would like to keep going but he doesn't want to go to another city to play and he doesn't want to be a burden/lousy hitter as a White Sox. My guess is if he retires it's because the Sox tell him they don't think he's got the talent to be a productive hitter anymore.My guess the deciding factor would be the tone of his conversation with Hahn. And of course money. Isn't he a free agent? He might not want to prove himself for minimum (baseball) wage. Hahn seems like a good guy and judge of talent. I believe whatever he says to Paulie will ultimately force Paulie's hand either way.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 09:32 PM)
Are you saying that as a negative toward Paulie? He mentioned family a few times. Unless I'm mistaken he said his kids love Chicago and he won't be moving.

The interview was very low key and he talked in a conversational tone. He was very honest saying he's talked to a lot of players about it and said something like there's 40 reasons to retire; 40 reasons to return.

Anybody dissing Paulie ought to listen to the interview. He was humble. He said he's always been a player who deserved playing time. He said that might not be the case next season and that is a thing that would bother him. He said a lot of things. It sounds to me like he would like to keep going but he doesn't want to go to another city to play and he doesn't want to be a burden/lousy hitter as a White Sox. My guess is if he retires it's because the Sox tell him they don't think he's got the talent to be a productive hitter anymore.My guess the deciding factor would be the tone of his conversation with Hahn. And of course money. Isn't he a free agent? He might not want to prove himself for minimum (baseball) wage. Hahn seems like a good guy and judge of talent. I believe whatever he says to Paulie will ultimately force Paulie's hand either way.

Not a negative at all, just stating a fact. I have no issue at all.

As we discussed earlier, Thome wanted a ring so bad, he was willing to be a full time pinch hitter full time anywhere. Paulie has his ring and just wants to be comfortable, good for him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 02:45 AM)
Not a negative at all, just stating a fact. I have no issue at all.

As we discussed earlier, Thome wanted a ring so bad, he was willing to be a full time pinch hitter full time anywhere. Paulie has his ring and just wants to be comfortable, good for him.

Good post.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 27, 2013 -> 09:21 PM)
In Mariano's defense, I'm not sure that he foresaw the craziness that would follow him around all year. It's pretty much unprecedented. Only in the 21st century, only for a Yankee

There are two people I am really tired of..... Mariano Rivera and Betty White.