Hahn:Ventura will return in 2014

southsider2k5

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fine with Ventura getting one more shot. We took him off the street and made him a major league manager. A learning curve should have always been expected. I'd like to see some serious growth in year 3 or else consider other options prior to 2015.

Now, I'd like to see Manto get canned and quite frankly I expect it to happen. I'm sure plenty of people will claim hitting coaches don't matter and to that I will say that firing him has no downside then. Clearly the offense was an epic disaster on all levels and whatever Manto was doing probably wasn't helping, so bring some fresh blood in and hope they can connect with a hitter or two.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 01:22 AM)
Another year of amateur hour on the Southside expect another September of s***ty baseball.

Unless significant additions are made to the offense, I'm pretty sure any manager would struggle to not lose at least 90 games with this mediocre roster.

Hahn pretty much revealed what needed revealing: we "owed it to the fans" to keep the team together and hope to compete this year, but soon knew it was more prudent to look to the future. I take that to mean that most parties involved didn't expect a winner this year and are probably seeing the players as the reason for this season rather than the manager.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 12:16 AM)
I'm fine with Ventura getting one more shot. We took him off the street and made him a major league manager. A learning curve should have always been expected. I'd like to see some serious growth in year 3 or else consider other options prior to 2015.

Now, I'd like to see Manto get canned and quite frankly I expect it to happen. I'm sure plenty of people will claim hitting coaches don't matter and to that I will say that firing him has no downside then. Clearly the offense was an epic disaster on all levels and whatever Manto was doing probably wasn't helping, so bring some fresh blood in and hope they can connect with a hitter or two.

Fair post. I would definitely fire Manto for the reasons you gave. And like somebody else said, let Robin break the tie next year. One good year (albeit a collapse at the end) and one embarrassing, pathetic season. Year Three breaks the tie like the one poster said.

What has Manto done to get canned? He didn't intentionally walk Chris Getz. He didn't pitch Reed 8/11 days or 6 in a row when the season was beyond lost. He didn't start bunting and doing other choke maneuvers with a 3 game lead with 3 weeks to go. He didn't manage the team to 100 losses. He wasn't responsible for lack of fundamental play, season long clowning on the basepaths or poor defense. He didn't automatically intentionally walk an opposing batter whenever a base was open with less than 2 outs in a walk off situation (that poor decision-making itself cost the Sox several games this season).

I guess what Manto has done is that he did not play for the Sox in the 1990s.

Manto may be a bad coach, but Ventura is incompetent at this point in his career. He should manage in the minors for 5 years and then try this again.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 01:05 AM)
What has Manto done to get canned?

Let's see, he oversaw an offense that will finish 29th in runs scored this year despite playing half of their games at the Cell. The vast majority of the offense regressed from 2012 and none of the young guys made any progress. I'm not sure what there is to argue here.

In any real world profession a guy would be fired with those kind of results. And honestly, I don't blame this offense's incompetence on Manto, but clearly he wasn't doing anything to help us this year. Bring in a new hitting coach and hope he can connect with a guy or two. That alone would be a huge upgrade.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 07:04 AM)
Let's see, he oversaw an offense that will finish 29th in runs scored this year despite playing half of their games at the Cell. The vast majority of the offense regressed from 2012 and none of the young guys made any progress. I'm not sure what there is to argue here.

In any real world profession a guy would be fired with those kind of results. And honestly, I don't blame this offense's incompetence on Manto, but clearly he wasn't doing anything to help us this year. Bring in a new hitting coach and hope he can connect with a guy or two. That alone would be a huge upgrade.

If the fire Manto because they have a philosophical difference moving forward, it makes sense, but if you are going to fire him based on the 2013 stats, there is not a hitting coach past, present or future that would have been able to keep their job with this bunch. It would be like firing a professor because he couldn't get a guy with the intelligence of a 6 year old to pass organic chemisty.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 07:20 AM)
If the fire Manto because they have a philosophical difference moving forward, it makes sense, but if you are going to fire him based on the 2013 stats, there is not a hitting coach past, present or future that would have been able to keep their job with this bunch. It would be like firing a professor because he couldn't get a guy with the intelligence of a 6 year old to pass organic chemisty.

Then how did the same group of guys, minus A.J. & Youk, finish 7th in runs scored the year before?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 07:44 AM)
Then how did the same group of guys, minus A.J. & Youk, finish 7th in runs scored the year before?

It wasn't the same group of guys. You mentioned 2 of the biggest reasons for the offense last year and their replacements were garbage. Konerko hasn't been the same. Viciedo got hurt. Beckham got hurt. Who are the players with a dropoff you can reasonably say with a different hitting coach, things would be a lot better? We went through this several years with Walker. According to a lot of people on this board, he was the reason the Sox didn't win.he leaves and it's happy time here. The Braves hire him and this board laughs. How can they be so dumb? Their offense is fine. The Sox offense will be fine once they acquire better hitters. If they don't, you are just going to want the next guy to get fired.

It seems from Hahn's comments a coach or 2 is going to go. I think Boston is in charge of OF defense and baserunning. It seems he will be a sacrificial lamb. They could have a decent reason to fire Manto. I just think basing it on the results of the garbage you gave him to work with would be ridiculous. It would be like saying Bo Porter is by far the worst manager in baseball because his team lost the most games.

Edited by Dick Allen

It looks like Robin is here to simply score us a couple of top 5 picks in the draft. He will be gone after 2014. He is too cheap to let go now and the White Sox will likely not be competitive next year as well. (I hope i'm wrong with my last comment, but there are waaaayyy too many holes with this squad.)

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 09:53 AM)
It looks like Robin is here to simply score us a couple of top 5 picks in the draft. He will be gone after 2014. He is too cheap to let go now and the White Sox will likely not be competitive next year as well. (I hope i'm wrong with my last comment, but there are waaaayyy too many holes with this squad.)

We ought to be able to tell that by the payroll next year. If it hangs out below $70 million, that's deft pick time. If they push back towards $100 mil, that's a couple huge signings to fill those holes.