Hahn:Ventura will return in 2014

southsider2k5

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 06:54 PM)
The White Sox organization isn't going back to Guillen again. The one guy who would allow it to happen is 77 years old and making plans for his death.

If the Sox hired Guillen again, I'd be a happy camper. I just wish some team would hire him again. He's an entertaining chap IMO. I'd like to see the Cubs hire him to watch that unfold.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 03:04 PM)
Nothing about Rick Hahn and Ozzie Guillen seems to be on the same page. Kenny and Ozzie had much more in common philosophically than Ozzie and Rick do.

Perhaps, but I have heard otherwise. That and Bernstein continuing to allude to the possibility a return by Guillen.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 02:40 PM)
If the Sox hired Guillen again, I'd be a happy camper. I just wish some team would hire him again. He's an entertaining chap IMO. I'd like to see the Cubs hire him to watch that unfold.

I would love to see that as well considering Ozzie is the exact opposite of what the Cubs want/need in a manager. :lol:

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 08:48 PM)
I know one of Bernstein's ties to the organization and they are rock solid.

So when does Guillen come back? 2015? Robin seems to have been confirmed for 2014. I wonder where Tony Larussa fits in here

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 03:51 PM)
So when does Guillen come back? 2015? Robin seems to have been confirmed for 2014. I wonder where Tony Larussa fits in here

Tony LaRussa is going to turn 69 on Friday. That means he'll be 70 next year. He managed 33 years in a row. I'm sure he's enjoying the time he has to himself at this point in his life.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 04:00 PM)
Tony LaRussa is going to turn 69 on Friday. That means he'll be 70 next year. He managed 33 years in a row. I'm sure he's enjoying the time he has to himself at this point in his life.

He can finally drive drunk in peace.

This reminds me of Thomas coming back. It's like "Hey Kenny and Frank sure do hate each other, and look at which one is still here." And then they brought Frank back...to be an analyst.

So yeah, Ozzie comes back even though "He and Kenny sure did hate each other!" And so now Ozzie can help out with the SAP broadcast

Is this the same Bernstein that published the article about how the Sox should take advantage of the growing trend to be given interesting prospects in return for taking on bad contracts? Because I don't think that Bernstein really follows baseball. He may have sources, but he's shown no indication of understanding what people tell him.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 05:05 PM)
While searching on Google for the wonderful Dan Bernstein "Kobe is a Bull" bulls***, I found this wonderful Soxtalk thread http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...=58909&st=0

Oh God, the best line from the entire f***ing thread - "Paxson is claiming he won't give up Hinrich."

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 10:00 PM)
Is this the same Bernstein that published the article about how the Sox should take advantage of the growing trend to be given interesting prospects in return for taking on bad contracts? Because I don't think that Bernstein really follows baseball. He may have sources, but he's shown no indication of understanding what people tell him.

He got caught lying about Illini stuff under the guise of his "sources". And was wrong multiple other times through two coaching searches regarding them. He doesn't have sources. He makes stuff up for ratings and can come off as convincing but that's it. He ends up wrong and it's the last you ever hear of it.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 05:00 PM)

The article was that the Sox rebuild might follow a model that has not been seen in MLB before, taking on bad contracts for prospects.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 05:22 PM)
The article was that the Sox rebuild might follow a model that has not been seen in MLB before, taking on bad contracts for prospects.

And it was beyond stupid. Why would the sox need to take on other teams bad contracts? To have an even s***tier team but much more expensive? And he never answered how the sox could get goodnprospects included in the deal.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 05:22 PM)

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/08/07/ber...e-sox-optimism/

Financial elasticity is becoming a new market inequity in MLB, allowing creative teams more options for accelerated improvement as they take advantage of opponents laden with large, unproductive contracts.

When you can afford to take on money in deals, you can get prospects in return. The White Sox have the ability to function as a troubled-asset relief program in the trade market, which can let them charge a premium for the service. They will have to field a team, after all, and they can add expensive veterans in the short term while also receiving prospects close to MLB readiness. Older players at the end of bad deals could outperform expectations, with the Sox incurring no risk if they don’t.

This is stupid. No team has ever done this because teams that are in a position to dump overpaid veterans for underperformance are the same teams that also need prospects to rebuild. This is the type of idea someone would get when they don't understand how professional sports work.