Hahn:Ventura will return in 2014

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 09:20 AM)
Robin, if you really care about this job, make your players actually look like it next year. You pulled it off before.

When you talk about the defensive slippage from last year to this, isn't it mainly Ramirez we are talking about here? He got pretty decent grades for a guy who was so awful in the field.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 10:03 AM)
When you talk about the defensive slippage from last year to this, isn't it mainly Ramirez we are talking about here? He got pretty decent grades for a guy who was so awful in the field.

Ramirez, De Aza, Viciedo, Beckham, Rios when he was here, the pitchers, both 1bmen, Flowers (maybe one guy you can actually blame injury), Keppinger. All of them vastly worse in the field than last year. Oh and Gillaspe fell apart in September.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 10:07 AM)
Ramirez, De Aza, Viciedo, Beckham, Rios when he was here, the pitchers, both 1bmen, Flowers (maybe one guy you can actually blame injury), Keppinger. All of them vastly worse in the field than last year. Oh and Gillaspe fell apart in September.

De Aza and Viciedo are far from defensive wizards, Beckham is about where he's always been. Flowers is not an everyday catcher and the first basemen are old.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 10:13 AM)
De Aza and Viciedo are far from defensive wizards, Beckham is about where he's always been. Flowers is not an everyday catcher and the first basemen are old.

Viciedo was average last year and terrible this year, De Aza was solid last year and terrible this year, and Beckham has obviously gotten sloppier and lost a step (which he should not be doing at his age).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 08:40 AM)
It wasn't the same group of guys. You mentioned 2 of the biggest reasons for the offense last year and their replacements were garbage. Konerko hasn't been the same. Viciedo got hurt. Beckham got hurt. Who are the players with a dropoff you can reasonably say with a different hitting coach, things would be a lot better? We went through this several years with Walker. According to a lot of people on this board, he was the reason the Sox didn't win.he leaves and it's happy time here. The Braves hire him and this board laughs. How can they be so dumb? Their offense is fine. The Sox offense will be fine once they acquire better hitters. If they don't, you are just going to want the next guy to get fired.

It seems from Hahn's comments a coach or 2 is going to go. I think Boston is in charge of OF defense and baserunning. It seems he will be a sacrificial lamb. They could have a decent reason to fire Manto. I just think basing it on the results of the garbage you gave him to work with would be ridiculous. It would be like saying Bo Porter is by far the worst manager in baseball because his team lost the most games.

As I said previously, I don't know if anything would be different under a new hitting coach, but I don't see how things could get any worse. When you finish second to last in all of baseball in runs scored, you have to try something new, especially when none of your young guys are progressing.

Let me ask you this, what's the downside in firing Manto?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 10:30 AM)
As I said previously, I don't know if anything would be different under a new hitting coach, but I don't see how things could get any worse. When you finish second to last in all of baseball in runs scored, you have to try something new, especially when none of your young guys are progressing.

Let me ask you this, what's the downside in firing Manto?

The downside is he actually might be better than what you replace him with if and when you get competent hitters, and firing guys who aren't the problem never fixes the problem and gives you a reputation.It is like any company who had a bad year and lost money, getting rid of their better more expensive employees because they lost money anyway. If you want things to turnaround, you keep the good ones.it is an ongoing process.

As I stated, there may be a logical reason to can Manto, but the 2013 offensive output isn't one of them. Whoever you think is the greatest hitting coach of all time would be in the same spot.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 10:21 AM)
Viciedo was average last year and terrible this year, De Aza was solid last year and terrible this year, and Beckham has obviously gotten sloppier and lost a step (which he should not be doing at his age).

The step Beckham lost is a quad injury he has been playing with for a couple of months.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 10:03 AM)
We ought to be able to tell that by the payroll next year. If it hangs out below $70 million, that's deft pick time. If they push back towards $100 mil, that's a couple huge signings to fill those holes.

If they do increase payroll to 100 mill, what FA's do they go after?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 29, 2013 -> 03:50 PM)
IMO, if they sign abreu, McCann, and a reliever, they can field a potentially-competitive roster and still be under $100 mil.

If they can do that, I would then trade for Cargo.

A line up of:

SS Alexei

CF Avi Garcia

RF Carlos Gonzalez

1B Abreu

C McCann

LF Viciedo

DH Dunn

3B Gillaspie/Keppinger

2B Semein/Beckham

Bench

Phegley

Keppinger/Gillaspie

Danks

Garcia or Konerko

That still could be under 100 million.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 29, 2013 -> 01:59 PM)
If they can do that, I would then trade for Cargo.

A line up of:

SS Alexei

CF Avi Garcia

RF Carlos Gonzalez

1B Abreu

C McCann

LF Viciedo

DH Dunn

3B Gillaspie/Keppinger

2B Semein/Beckham

Bench

Phegley

Keppinger/Gillaspie

Danks

Garcia or Konerko

That still could be under 100 million.

With Helton retiring I don't see Cargo being moved.

When talking about the Sveum firing, Dan McNeil asked Dan Bernstein if he would have been upset if the Sox fired Ventura and he said no. Interestingly, Bernstein brought up the hypothetical of replacing Ventura with Guillen again. McNeil said Guillen had burned too many bridges and Bernstein replied paraphrasing that Kenny Williams is largely out of the picture.

Anyway, I think someone in the Sox organization has told Bernstein to not be surprised if Guillen returns as manager one day because he continues to talk about it.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 07:50 PM)
When talking about the Sveum firing, Dan McNeil asked Dan Bernstein if he would have been upset if the Sox fired Ventura and he said no. Interestingly, Bernstein brought up the hypothetical of replacing Ventura with Guillen again. McNeil said Guillen had burned too many bridges and Bernstein replied paraphrasing that Kenny Williams is largely out of the picture.

Anyway, I think someone in the Sox organization has told Bernstein to not be surprised if Guillen returns as manager one day because he continues to talk about it.

Bernstein is an idiot who pretends to have sources.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 01:50 PM)

The White Sox organization isn't going back to Guillen again. The one guy who would allow it to happen is 77 years old and making plans for his death.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 01:50 PM)

If Bernstein's sources tell him KW is largely out of the picture, he needs new sources.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 1, 2013 -> 01:54 PM)
The White Sox organization isn't going back to Guillen again. The one guy who would allow it to happen is 77 years old and making plans for his death.

If found it interesting that Bernstein alluded to it again.