What Does Pence Re-Signing Mean For Sox

Marty34

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 05:48 PM)
5y/$90M for Hunter Pence I think is a precursor to how insane the money is going to be for the few worthwhile free-agents on the market. The Sox will be better off stying out of this market.

Also goes to show they just can't give up De Aza for nothing this offseason just cause they didn't like his execution this season.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 12:48 PM)
5y/$90M for Hunter Pence I think is a precursor to how insane the money is going to be for the few worthwhile free-agents on the market. The Sox will be better off stying out of this market.

I think the White Sox will be staying out of the top tier FA market period. Abreu, and some of the lesser free agent options sound the most realistic to me.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 12:58 PM)
I think the White Sox will be staying out of the top tier FA market period. Abreu, and some of the lesser free agent options sound the most realistic to me.

Yes, the second or third tier is usually where they hang, but I do think they make a run at McCann.

BTW, is Bochy considered a good manager? I read Robin is horrible because guys like Rios and Alexei rarely got a day off. Pence has played ever game this year. Bochy must really be a moron.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 12:50 PM)
Also goes to show they just can't give up De Aza for nothing this offseason just cause they didn't like his execution this season.

Yes, the addition by subtraction thing is all well and good, but I just can't see the Sox meeting these salary levels in free agency. McCann probably gets $70M+ now.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 07:01 PM)
Yes, the addition by subtraction thing is all well and good, but I just can't see the Sox meeting these salary levels in free agency. McCann probably gets $70M+ now.

70 is fine for McCann. Sox better be willing to pay that.

His market will be limited with only the AL and Atlanta. Doubt it goes much higher than that.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

The Pence signing means...uh...nothing.

I don't think people realize where the Sox are right now. It's a terrible team that has little chance of even going .500 next year.

The Sox just need to focus on acquiring as much young talent as possible, and once they get close to being good, then they can worry about signing guys like Pence or McCann.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 07:08 PM)

I don't think people realize where the Sox are right now. It's a terrible team that has little chance of even going .500 next year.

The Sox just need to focus on acquiring as much young talent as possible, and once they get close to being good, then they can worry about signing guys like Pence or McCann.

They will active in the free agent market by all indications.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 01:08 PM)

Pretty much my view. The window isn't there yet. They need to make smart signings/trades that make sense in the long term. Hahn pretty much reinforced this yesterday talking about creating a sustainable organization for the future and how much money they will have for the draft and international spending. He noted not to expect quick fix band-aid signing and the possibility of lesser short term deals as stop-gaps while they wait for prospects. I think Abreu makes sense and perhaps McCann, but that's it for the big names and I'm okay with that. I'm prepared to wait a year or three while they put themselves in a better position to compete again.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 12:50 PM)

I concur. I still don't get why everyone is so eager to dump him for a bag of balls. He has his shortcomings but definitely has value given his salary situation.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 01:25 PM)
I concur. I still don't get why everyone is so eager to dump him for a bag of balls. He has his shortcomings but definitely has value given his salary situation.

I'll take your word for it. But that said, De Aza is a meathead of a player, and I really hope he's gone soon.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 12:28 PM)
I'll take your word for it. But that said, De Aza is a meathead of a player, and I really hope he's gone soon.

Can't disagree with either side of this discussion. IMO, if better options don't happen, we still need to get him the hell out of batting leadoff, and we need to give him ONE OF position to concentrate on.

I don't think springing for a big ticket outfielder made sense anyway for next year. You want Viciedo, De Aza, and Garcia out there pretty much everyday. I don't think they really want to move Dayan to 1B while his bat is still a question mark. On the other hand, pretty much every other position on the team other than SS could quite easily be upgraded.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 03:24 PM)
I don't think springing for a big ticket outfielder made sense anyway for next year. You want Viciedo, De Aza, and Garcia out there pretty much everyday. I don't think they really want to move Dayan to 1B while his bat is still a question mark. On the other hand, pretty much every other position on the team other than SS could quite easily be upgraded.

If they don't land Abreu, I would prefer to move Tank for another underachiever. Maybe Ike Davis?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 01:00 PM)
Yes, the second or third tier is usually where they hang, but I do think they make a run at McCann.

BTW, is Bochy considered a good manager? I read Robin is horrible because guys like Rios and Alexei rarely got a day off. Pence has played ever game this year. Bochy must really be a moron.

One exception, whole body of work now invalid.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 02:24 PM)
pretty much every other position on the team other than SS could quite easily be upgraded.

how? with who?

I agree Tank shouldn't go to first base. Do people think Avisail could play a better centerfield than De Aza? Tank in right and De Aza in left would be an improvement.

Edited by Vance Law