What Does Pence Re-Signing Mean For Sox

Marty34

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the plan is to use 2014 as a 'developmental' type of season with the intention on going all in for 2015, perhaps signing McCann is not that bad of an idea after all. If they can lock him and Abreu up this winter and then make some other minor moves, I would be okay with that. I wouldn't be shocked if they threw Alexie's name out there as trade bait this winter....

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 07:03 PM)
how? with who?

I agree Tank shouldn't go to first base. Do people think Avisail could play a better centerfield than De Aza? Tank in right and De Aza in left would be an improvement.

Personally, that's exactly the of I would try next year but no idea if they want to. If they want to do that though Avisail should have been told it a month ago so that he could really start working on seeing the ball in CF in warmups and in the games he played there.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 28, 2013 -> 01:25 PM)
I concur. I still don't get why everyone is so eager to dump him for a bag of balls. He has his shortcomings but definitely has value given his salary situation.

Get as much as you can for De Aza, but I won't lose sleep over getting an A-ball player in return. I am so sick of De Aza, just dump him for whatever.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 29, 2013 -> 04:48 PM)
Get as much as you can for De Aza, but I won't lose sleep over getting an A-ball player in return. I am so sick of De Aza, just dump him for whatever.

Why even waste your time trading him? Just don't tender him and save yourself the effort if he is that worthless.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Sep 29, 2013 -> 04:53 PM)
Because something is better than nothing? May as well try to trade him for something. I'm sure someone will think he is competent.

Getting an A-ball player is basically nothing. With two years of team control left, he still is competent enough to have value. A player like him is perfect for a rebuilding team. He can hit and was much better defensively in 2012, so he's not a lost cause.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 29, 2013 -> 05:53 PM)
Getting an A-ball player is basically nothing. With two years of team control left, he still is competent enough to have value. A player like him is perfect for a rebuilding team. He can hit and was much better defensively in 2012, so he's not a lost cause.

Good, I hope other teams think he has value and think he become an average defensive CF. Let some other team find out if that's true.

The most encouraging thing about de Aza's season is that he seems to have finally become a productive hitter vs LH pitching.

He actually hit them better than righties.

With the kind of free agent salaries that are likely to be paid this off season, he could be an affordable and serviceable Left fielder.

He shouldn't be in CF, but he's more than adequate in Left. The problem is what to do with Viciedo. If Garcia can really play CF, then Viciedo's arm should play pretty well in RF. It shouldn't be that much of an adjustment for him to move from LF to RF.

Unless Viciedo's hitting improves significantly, his bat doesn't play well at first base or DH. Moreover, Abreu may be there.

Edited by Lillian

Except for the poor base running, de Aza was not the biggest problem for the Sox this year.

If a guy like Pence is worth $18 million a year, de Aza is worth whatever arbitration grants him.

He may not be that great, but his production is decent for the money he'll cost.

There are bigger problems to fix on this team.

Sign Abreu, trade Alexei for salary relief and give Semien a shot at SS.

Find a catcher who can be a little productive, and someone to hit for Gillaspie, vs. lefties.

Sit Dunn vs lefties, as well.

All those things are more important than getting rid of de Aza, and his modest contract.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 29, 2013 -> 10:59 PM)
Just a terrible idea. A completely unfocused silly season for him and he was still a solid hitter.

Thing is, at this stage of his career why would he be unfocused? He's just starting his career; he should be so happy to be playing MLB.

QUOTE (Jake @ Sep 30, 2013 -> 04:15 AM)
De Aza's faults are correctable and that's a good thing

I don't think you can become a good baserunner. I think he's so bad at that part of the game, that in itself is enough to dump him for anything you can get.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 29, 2013 -> 10:58 PM)
Thing is, at this stage of his career why would he be unfocused? He's just starting his career; he should be so happy to be playing MLB.

I wouldn't say he is just starting his career. He has been in the majors for parts of 6 years, and he will be 30 in April. His career is halfway done, at least.